Equinox 600 Verses AT Pro.

mdtrapper

Elite Member
Now that my oldest son (13) is detecting with me more thinking of letting him use the AT Pro. looking at getting a Equinox 600 for myself. Has anyone else here made that switch. If so was it a good one?? Any feedback would be great.

Now that my oldest son (13) is detecting with me more thinking of letting him use the AT Pro. looking at getting a Equinox 600 for myself. Has anyone else here made that switch. If so was it a good one?? Any feedback would be great.

I haven't yet. Im keeping my AT Pro and Im modifying it for heavily iron locations (will post that later). Im sure there may be comparisons out there but I kinda feel they are two different beasts. Each capable in their own way.
Needless to say, I am very curious to try out a Nox next. They seem to be well capable machines that are pulling a lot of stuff from otherwise "hunted out" locations.

owned both now and will say without a doubt the equinox spanks the at pro. Despite what people may claim the at pro cannot run well in a salt water environment. With the equinox you get this straight out of the box.

Equinox can also be run very fast and works well in iron. The at pro can also hold its own in iron but probably will not be able to match the speed of the equinox or depth.

for the $$

the equinox 600 is what the At pro was when it first came out
A Game changer

thanks.

Yes been using an AT for about 6 years now, been in the in the brackish and salt, very frustrating to use, bought my excel for the water and love it. use the pro just for the land now.

AT PRO not even close to the Equinox.... depth , separation , etc... Btw how do you modify a AT PRO for heavy iron? This is just a sample of what it will do to the AT SERIES...

lWatch this video.
I have stated Nox can go behind Deus and LF coil and make finds.
At Pro featured here too.
Notice Deus is struggling with this relic. Nox is sounding off like a cash register. Lol. Look at angle of sweeps where Nox kills this relic, poor Deus just can’t keep up.
This gent Seven is a stand up guy.
This video I don’t think is rigged one way or the other.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2YDCin7h630

Look down in my signature line.
Notice anything?
Yep 2deus units with a load of coils.

I have a equinox 600 now for about 3 months. Found a lot of clad and 1 silver coin. Never used the at pro. What every detector you get it takes a few hints to learn it. So don't give up.

I made the switch. learning curve isn't too bad. Watch lots and lots of videos.

BCD

that's been my fear about getting a Nox...the learning curve. I just now am getting to know my AT Pro after almost a year with it.

The learning curve on the 600 is not bad. If you get one email me and I tell you how to set it up.

I think every detector excels in there own category. If you want to hunt in thick iron all day, go with something that excels in heavy iron. If most of your spots aren't trashy than the AT pro should be just fine. Obviously the 600 is a better machine, its practically twice the price of the AT pro .... I prefer the my AT gold over the equinox, and do just fine in heavy iron. Its more about learning the machine you are using and putting those lessons to work on a location that has potential. Whatever you shall decide, good luck!

I think every detector excels in there own category. If you want to hunt in thick iron all day, go with something that excels in heavy iron. If most of your spots aren't trashy than the AT pro should be just fine. Obviously the 600 is a better machine, its practically twice the price of the AT pro .... I prefer the my AT gold over the equinox, and do just fine in heavy iron. Its more about learning the machine you are using and putting those lessons to work on a location that has potential. Whatever you shall decide, good luck![/QUOTE

Let’s see. Some fuzzy math going on here I think. Not even a $100 difference.
https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/garrett-at-pro-metal-detector

https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/minelab-equinox-600-series-metal-detector

I see you have a Excalibur and a at pro,so I’m assuming your a water hunter just by the Excalibur.
As for the at pro for jewlery,I can’t see the equinox being any type of upgrade in that type of hunting.
For land hunting coins,again I don’t see the equinox being a huge upgrade over the at pro,meaning I don’t see the equinox pulling so much more that the at pro is worthless.
If I owned the Excalibur and the at pro,I think I’d be looking at a explorer for land hunting,,definitely a deeper machine and a superior ID system compared to the equinox or at pro.
The videos the guys post are great,assuming every coin is 10 inches deep or in a bed of nails.But that’s not the reality I hunt in,and I’ll bet not the reality most coin hunters do either,,more so a environment a relic hunter seeks out.
Just my opinion here like everyone else,but I have a explorer 2 and even tho it’s a bit older it still is deeper and has superior tones and Visual ID over the at pro or equinox,I’ve owned both,,and seeming you have Two good machines now I’d go with a fbs machine to compliment them.A friend of mine was using the explorer 2 last week in a old fairgrounds and pulled this silver dime at over 9 inches easily,,see the iron that came out of the hole? That's a real dig,not a synthetic test.
With all that said,if you really got the itch get another water machine,might as well get a equinox,,seems to have some good reviews.

Attachments

• 2018081195124501.jpg
    2018081195124501.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
I owned a AT Pro about six years ago before going with an E-trac, then to the CTX and now I have a "Nox" 800 as my backup. I'm still learning the machine and I know your looking at a 600. All I can truly say is the "Nox" will get you deeper and will be better in salt water. Nothing wrong with the Pro but for me it was not the Silver machine that I wanted. You should contact Andy (arw40) on the forum as he is making the transition from the Pro to the 600 and will give you a honest opinion and comparison of the two machines. It really comes down to what you looking for on your hunts. Trapper

I made the switch and been finding more silver near iron and trash.
I am keeping my pro still.
Equinox is different and you need to learn it but its not hard.

I use the AT Pro and my detecting partner here uses an Equinox 600. Another detecting buddy has the Deus. So, I have seen first hand many times over how each machine performs, and as friends we compare signals where I will swing his target and he over mine on occasion, and with questionable signals we really check each other's targets out.

FOR WHERE WE LIVE, these detectors are equal in actual performance and finds. Due to our semi arid climate and moderate soil mineralization, the coins are not that deep, with many silvers only a few inches down, ditto with wheaties, tokens, relics, etc. The parking strips and private yards we hunt are not that trashy so precise separation is not a huge factor. When we hunt, our finds are pretty equal, I usually find more silver and more coins generally, but I've seen good to great results from all these machines.

Having said that, the Equinox IS AN UPGRADE over the Pro. The Equinox is better in many respects... salt water beaches, trashy areas, lightweight, or where the older coins are deeper. You should do great with that machine!

Oh, one more point. My partner with the Nox 600 used to use a White's MXT Pro. Since switching to the Equinox this spring, his silver totals have probably tripled.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. The diff between the 600 and the 800 it just the wireless headphones is that correct??:?:

Back
Top Bottom