• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Another try, best for beach use?

jimmyo

I'm back to square #1. I would like a few new ideas on the best, in your opinion, detector for use on the ocean beach (sand wet & dry) and in parks and the like in dirt. I had intended to go with the Beach Hunter, to be on the safe side near the surf, but now I'm awash in confusion. HeLp? ps: Tony, I'll be calling later this evening. :(

First thing is what is your budget?

A Beach Hunter is in the $700 dollar range an Excal will set you back over a grand and to use it properly you will need a straight shaft and a kit to mount the control box to your waist because its a heavy detector.

There is nothing wrong with a Beach Hunter I have friends who love it... I don't detect the wet/dry sand because the best stuff in my opinion is in the water and I will concede the sand to others ;)

Thanks for the support. Buy the way, what breed of dog is yours? I have an Akita, just turned a year old, and he's already master of the family.
I guess I'm willing to spend $700-$800 on a new detector. The Beach Hunter seems like it will do the job. Yet several folks have expressed doubt about salt water, and other about detecting very well in dirt, such as parks. I would hate to purchase one and quickly discover that it does not work well in either area. I surely do not mind paying for what I want, if it does the work well. (Sorta like my boss's view of us workers, right?) :yes:

Try to find a new or used Fisher CZ20.I am biased on this opinion but it will do what you want to do and do it better than most of the others.

Thanks, Hermit, but they seem to be a scarce commodity these days. I've spoken to Fisher several times. They claim that the cz-20, cz-70 and a few others required parts they no longer have access to. They were quite half-hearted about pushing the newer 3d model. So, I am back to the Beach hunter vs the X-terra 70. Since I will be doing much of my hunting after dark, maybe the Beach Hunter, with its 3 lights, will be useful. We'll see. Thanks.

JimmyO,
To give you the best impartial advice for what you want to do.
The choices for single detector leave you two. The Minelab Excaliber will do all you ask but will set you back about $1100. The Beach Hunter I have also heard does not do well in salt water, but is pretty decent in fresh. Whites P.I. Pro will not be able to discriminate, and will drive you crazy for land use, but will find deep targets in the salt water. The other way of approaching this is to consider what type of hunting you will do the most, and set your priority on a decent machine for that purpose. Later you can invest in the counterpart machine as many of us do. There are rumors out that a couple of new water machines are due to hit the market within the next few months, so you may consider waiting. I am currently waiting. If it is only rumor, then I will get an Excaliber to compliment my Explorer II.
Regards,
Bill
BTW
I have never used a Beach Hunter, and do not personally know anyone who owns one. What I passed on was read in MD forums multiple times. I have just learned that you will be hunting in New Jersey. Everyone that I have met that owns a water machine in this area is using the Excaliber simply because of it's ability to discriminate iron. I was ready to buy a pulse machine and was advised not to by the local MD'ers in the club that I joined who all hunt the Jersey beaches.

From one Jimmy to another, consider the Minelab Sovereign Elite/Gt. It will fall into your price range. I have one and it is excellent at the beach, I hipmount it and swing all day. Its not water proof like the Excal but its not as heavy and has the same electronics as the Excal...It has good tone ID for land hunting also.
Good luck in whatever you choose.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom