Compadre 8" - pinpointing & interpreting targets

GroundSweeper

Forum Supporter
Only about 4 hours on my new Compadre with 8" coil, but curious if anyone has experienced a learning curve pinpointing with it?

I was at a hot ground park today (i.e. a lot of big rusty iron) and had two issues:

Dial was set mid-way between Iron & Foil.

1) It was chatty - a myriad of sounds on most swings. It was hard to pick a target to dig! I dug the stronger of the signals - found a chrome metal gas cap, and rusted iron pipes and pipe pieces. What tone am I looking for? Dig all or skip the lighter and/or crackly ones? Skip the one-way signals?

2) When I settled on a target to dig, pinpointing was rough to say the least. I know I need time on the machine, but the coil seems so sensitive, I try the "X" technique and it is hard to find the "center" of the target. Seems like the target is saucer shaped or something, large area of beeping... Anyone experience this and have any tips?

Going to try and take her to the lake this weekend, I know I need to log some hours on it, but appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you.

No pics of today's hunt - 2 Zn Lincoln's, bullet and some iron and Al, not a lot.

Yesterday's park was friendlier ground (away from the bball court anyway) and my first Compadre hunt. Picture attached!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 225
Pinpointing was an issue for me to. i hated digging empty holes and it seemed like I got a signal with every swing. I had mine set about the same way. I quickly learned that I really didnt care for this machine. I experienced the same things that you are experincing. Its why I am trading it to another forum member and ordering an AT pro when I get my tax refund.

See that hole in the 8" coil? When you can bounce the signal back and forth in that hole, the target is right below the hole.

You'll find it is one of the easiest coils to "pinpoint" with.

On the target's sounds, dig the full sounding, well-rounded, signals. The pops and chirps are targets that are either junk or the unit is trying to discriminate them out.

Thanks for the input Curbdog.

Did some testing a little, air testing, any object under any part of the coil sounds of. So it has a large field of detection, I'm thinking with some time I'll be able to develop more eye coordination. My BH machine has a solid (no middle circle) coil, so will put some time into this new machine, and have some fun.

Here's today's finds - tough tough park, lots of heavy rusty iron at this park. Tons of signals per swing, loud all over the place signals on all settings and with coil raised. Had problems at this park with the BH even awhile back.

It would be nice to have an Outlaw type super-pinpointing mode though! :lol:

Happy hunting!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 202
Getting the hang of it :)

I'm getting the hang of this machine and liking it.

3rd hunt with it today, in the rain, for about 2.5 hours along the lake shoreline.

The coil picks up the target nearly for its entire 8" coil field, but it does get louder and cleaner when the target is "in the hole" haha. Also getting used to the tone nuances.

Nothing fantastic this morning but it was awesome being out!

Fishing lures, lead weights, foils, tabs, a .38 Special cartridge, and 87¢ in clad. I did dig some of the iron - washers and bigger rusted pieces, most of the screws and lag bolts were eyeball cleanup finds.

Didn't finish this spot, ran out of time. Will go back sometime. Have some pre-lake foundation areas to hit there too.

Happy hunting!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 169
Yeah it sounds like you were just at a super trashy park. I usually do the "wiggle" pinpoint method. Congrats on your machine! Feel free to join the Compadre Users group on FB that is growing.

Yeah it sounds like you were just at a super trashy park. I usually do the "wiggle" pinpoint method. Congrats on your machine! Feel free to join the Compadre Users group on FB that is growing.

Thanks OCD. Yeah, that park is über trashy for sure. Especially on the baseball fields. Will pass on that place.

What is the wiggle method? Just wiggle the coil over the targe I imagine but what are you listening for?

Today's hunt at the lake near my home was a lot of fun. I'll head to a different park on my lunch tomorrow.

Happy hunting.

Back
Top Bottom