Lost my Class Ring, Need Pointers on Detection

dgheck

I found this forum while researching how to use a newly purchased metal detector and would appreciate any advice given.

I lost my Class Ring this weekend somewhere in my back yard. It is sizable men's ring (not like Super Bowl ring-sized, but much more mass than, say, a man's wedding band) and it is either 10 or 14 k gold.

Also, it may be obscured by foliage and/or non-metallic debris or even a slight cover of dirt...but it won't be buried. It should actually be on the surface.

I have purchased a Teknetics Delta 4000 for the hunt. One, because the ring is very dear to me and, Two, because....I am a geek at heart and have always wanted a metal detector.

I realize that the technology is good...but from reading these forums I have come to realize that real success with using even good technology in detection is a Black Art of sorts, too, much of which I hope to acquire with experience.

But for now....

I am seeking advice on which settings to use on my Delta 4000 and advice on how to proceed and what "signature" I am specifically looking for should I pass over my class ring with this device.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

if your using a bounty hunter set to detect all metal are lower.should find it fast but if your back yard is as big as mine you might be there for days lol.good luck finding it.mud dauber out.ps i am in chat most of the day

Depending on the actual size, from what you describe that ring should come in somewhere around tabs or zinc.
I have found 4 class rings, larger normal size men's rings, and they all came in at low zinc, not quite as high as a zinc penny but still in zinc.
Not sure of your numbers but I believe yours should be close to my F2 VDI numbers.
For me a real zinc cent is usually a 59-61...these rings were from 48-51 so that will give you a clue.

Attachments

• my four class rings.jpg
    my four class rings.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 730
One tip I can give you is, on a fresh drop in your back yard. Unlike usual detecting where you want the coil real close to the ground. Hold the coil up a little so some of the deep stuff isn't picked up. Then when the detector goes off, check and see what it is that set it off. If its in shrubs it can be real difficult to find. Hopefully its in the open.

Good choice on the machine for 1. And for 2 ur gonna have to dig everything. Dig everything that's very shallow. It hasn't had time to go deep in ground yet. What state and city u from? You have like a 95% chance that at least 1 person lives close to you from here the friendly forums that will help you find it for no cost.

One tip I can give you is, on a fresh drop in your back yard. Unlike usual detecting where you want the coil real close to the ground. Hold the coil up a little so some of the deep stuff isn't picked up. Then when the detector goes off, check and see what it is that set it off. If its in shrubs it can be real difficult to find. Hopefully its in the open.
Good advice. Also works on oft-hunted sites to get the flash money or newly dropped targets instead of stopping and rechecking every little weak signal encountered. Faster and makes it fun.:cool:

Good luck and be sure to update us on your status searching for the ring and any other cool finds that you might make.

Ok you are going to have to check every signal, so take your time. If you can Find another
class ring like yours and check it with the detector. Good luck.

I have a different view on digging everything. Your ring will not be reading below a Vdi of 50 so why dig anything below that. I bet your ring will ring up about 55-60, yet I would search for 50-80. My old high school ring hits at 55 today on my Whites and it looks like your machine is skewed about 5-Vdi higher. Do you have access to a similar ring to test? This will shorten your hunt if so.

If you have another sample ring, put it on the ground and lower your sensitivity far lower than "full", because this ring of yours in on the surface. I would say that you don't need more than 1/3 of the sensitivily you have available in the 4000, and testing a similar ring will prove that on a surface ring like yours.

The main thing is, why would anybody run medium or high sensitivity, where you will get deep signals? This ring is on the surface or simply covered with silt. You will be digging your butt off on useless junk if sense is set so it will detect a penny or dime at say 3 inches, and larger trash will detect at 6"-plus.

I found large 22k gold ring for a fella in his yard and by knowing that the ring was surface like yours, I ran my sens almost off. Testing a similar ring like yours will be a huge help IMO.

Again, I personally would not dig any signals below Vdi 50. If your depth meter in pinpoint says it is not ultra shallow, I would not dig that either, unless you "want" to see what it finds. In your case, you know that your ring will not logically be even a slim inch deep. martin

I have a different view on digging everything. Your ring will not be reading below a Vdi of 50 so why dig anything below that. I bet your ring will ring up about 55-60, yet I would search for 50-80. My old high school ring hits at 55 today on my Whites and it looks like your machine is skewed about 5-Vdi higher. Do you have access to a similar ring to test? This will shorten your hunt if so.

If you have another sample ring, put it on the ground and lower your sensitivity far lower than "full", because this ring of yours in on the surface. I would say that you don't need more than 1/3 of the sensitivily you have available in the 4000, and testing a similar ring will prove that on a surface ring like yours.

The main thing is, why would anybody run medium or high sensitivity, where you will get deep signals? This ring is on the surface or simply covered with silt. You will be digging your butt off on useless junk if sense is set so it will detect a penny or dime at say 3 inches, and larger trash will detect at 6"-plus.

I found large 22k gold ring for a fella in his yard and by knowing that the ring was surface like yours, I ran my sens almost off. Testing a similar ring like yours will be a huge help IMO.

Again, I personally would not dig any signals below Vdi 50. If your depth meter in pinpoint says it is not ultra shallow, I would not dig that either, unless you "want" to see what it finds. In your case, you know that your ring will not logically be even a slim inch deep. martin

I may be wrong here as i am fairly new to this hobby but even with a low sens setting couldn't the VDI number change if that ring was lost in a spot that had another object under it such as a coin or coins, Large chunk of iron, Tab, Can or canslaw for example?
Please feel free to chime in and correct me if i am wrong.

By lowering the sens you will not read as many targets lower in the ground. Therefore, if your ring is on the surface and there is a piece of metal under it at say 6-8" with the lower sens the deep target will not be "seen" and the ring will still be found. Like has been said, if you can find a similar ring to try you will be able to determine how low you can set the sens and still locate your ring and eliminate other targets at the same time.

Use all metal mode and set the sensitivity to about 50%. You only want the shallow big targets and you don't care about VDI. You just want loud and clear.

You won't have to dig anything if it is in the grass. It should be right on the surface seeing that you just lost it.

Check anything that sounds off.

You should find it if you have an idea of where you lost it.

Well you want to get into detecting so why not dig everything, you'll probably find the cool ring as well as other nice items, and it will give you experience. If however you just want to find the ring I would test a family members or friends ring and get an idea as to what it will register as which will probably be in the 50-60vdi range, the target should come in loud and clear as well since it's shallow.

I may be wrong here as i am fairly new to this hobby but even with a low sens setting couldn't the VDI number change if that ring was lost in a spot that had another object under it such as a coin or coins, Large chunk of iron, Tab, Can or canslaw for example?
Please feel free to chime in and correct me if i am wrong.

Yes, but it will be prone to be mis-Vdi-ing with even more sensitivity added. It is a strategic trade off. Nothing is fool proof.

The size and expected Vdi range of that men's class ring and at surface level,,,,some strategy could make sweeping a yard if it is medium or large sized, faster for looking for a sizey gold ring on top. Another thing is that if it happens to be anywhere close to a metal fence, running very low sens will be required anyway. You can't simply move a cyclone fence over.

I also fail to see the logic in running all metal. The tones and Vdi reports will just get tons more "busy."

BUT I will certainly say this. If you are brand new in detecting, you will want to dig it all to learn the language of your detector. Being your ring is on your own property, you have the luxury to "learn and find" your ring at the same time without constraints. You may just find more than your ring...a second, satisfying hobby ;-)

Martin

The logic behind all metal mode is that you will pick it up when you get close to it. It is on the surface so it will be a strong signal. No need to worry about anything other than the loud, clear signals.

Being a large target, if you don't get right over it you will still pick it up, unlike if you are using a tone.

That's my method anyway and it works well for me.

Update on Class Ring Hunt

Since everyone was so kind and generous with their advice, I thought that I'd check in and give an update.

So far, I have yet to find the ring but I have covered less than 10 or 15% of the area. I am encouraged by the fact that, judging from what I am finding so far, that if the ring is there to be found I will find it.

I am using some stakes to mark off the yard to help me maintain discipline (it is all I can do not to meander).

But I am also using one more bit of forced discipline. Before I start a marked off section I have my wife hide three things in it: 1) A Kennedy Half Dollar, 2) Three US Quarters taped together, and 3) A British 2 Pound Coin. The rule is that I can't move to the next quadrant until I find all three of the objects she has hidden.

I keep y'all updated if I find the ring or anything more interesting than the two Hot Wheels cars and old Buss fuse.

[/QUOTE] But I am also using one more bit of forced discipline. Before I start a marked off section I have my wife hide three things in it: 1) A Kennedy Half Dollar, 2) Three US Quarters taped together, and 3) A British 2 Pound Coin. The rule is that I can't move to the next quadrant until I find all three of the objects she has hidden.
I keep y'all updated if I find the ring or anything more interesting than the two Hot Wheels cars and old Buss fuse.

Uh ohhhhh Your already hooked. Once again and keep us posted.

Should be lying right on top of the ground. You don't have to dig anything. Get a good signal and brush the grass back if you can't see it move on.

Bingo!

It was in the fire pit. It got scorched a bit, but it is not misshapen at all.

Now....any advice on how to clean it up? The crud is on it pretty good.

IMG_6344a.jpg

Take it to a jeweler for ultrasonic cleaning or take a tooth brush too it with some vinegar. One great property of gold is that not many chemicals will react with it or harm it. As long as you don't use anything abrasive you should be ok cleaning it with a soft brush.

Back
Top Bottom