2nd hunt of the year

Larbo

No gold this time but 2 silver rings, a 1600-1700's coin and about ¥4,600 in clad. The big ring seems like an older design. I can't see any markings but the ring was really corroded and they may have worn off. It weighs about 11 grams and show low 90's on the ATP. The small silver is weird. It is marked 925 and seems to have a coating but still seems like silver underneath. I'm wondering about it because it reads around 68 on the ATP which is lower than most silver rings unless they are broken or do not complete a full circle.

I like finding the old coins but they are common. I don't find that many on beaches though so I think it is my favorite find for this hunt.

Last edited:
That old coin is neat and the big silver is quite unusual. Lots of goodies there!

That's a lot of clad! :wow: Congrats on the silvers :)

It's a lot of clad but it's the lowest amount I have ever found at that particular beach. The typhoon damaged the beach last year and they have repaired it so everything is mixed up. It's good for old coins and old rings but the clad isn't concentrated anymore.

That old coin is neat and the big silver is quite unusual. Lots of goodies there!

Most of those coins aren't worth anything but I like finding them. Anytime I find one I feel like it was a good hunt. The rings style looks old. It looks like 1970's to me but I don't know.

Beautiful hunt- congrats! Any of those coins silver? :?::?::?:

No. All clad. The old one is copper or bronze. The most common silver coins are 1950 and 1960's ¥100 but they are only 60% silver. I have found a few older silver coins here but they are rare.

Congrats... looks like a lot of digging to produce that many targets. Looking at your pile is making me tired. 4,600 yen in clad is a nice haul on any day. Pays for gas and food.

No gold this time but 2 silver rings, a 1600-1700's coin and about ¥4,600 in clad. The big ring seems like an older design. I can't see any markings but the ring was really corroded and they may have worn off. It weighs about 11 grams and show low 90's on the ATP. The small silver is weird. It is marked 925 and seems to have a coating but still seems like silver underneath. I'm wondering about it because it reads around 68 on the ATP which is lower than most silver rings unless they are broken or do not complete a full circle.

I like finding the old coins but they are common. I don't find that many on beaches though so I think it is my favorite find for this hunt.

That is weird on the ring, for it to ring up so low. I would think a ring like that would hit 86-87 easily, possibly as high as 91.

The only thing that "might" stop a true sterling ring from ringing up high is if the shape, while round, is actually very thick on the top and thin on the bottom of the ring (tapered to the top where the gemstones are). I've seen that cause rings to ring low, in gold as well.

easiest thing to do would be to test it against a magnet first (a STRONG magnet), and check for the dimagnetic properties inherent to silver (it'll actually resist movement, as you wave it across the magnet surface, feeling like it is "opposing" the magnet, during movement. You could also spit test with foil, to see if it creates sulfides (stink!)... but that could be triggered by silver plating left over...

Easiest thing to do, though, is just to polish it up, and if it polishes super easily, then its likely silver... it's not so corroded that it wouldn't just shine up. Steel, though, would be a butt to polish.

Cheers,

Skippy

That is weird on the ring, for it to ring up so low. I would think a ring like that would hit 86-87 easily, possibly as high as 91.

The only thing that "might" stop a true sterling ring from ringing up high is if the shape, while round, is actually very thick on the top and thin on the bottom of the ring (tapered to the top where the gemstones are). I've seen that cause rings to ring low, in gold as well.

easiest thing to do would be to test it against a magnet first (a STRONG magnet), and check for the dimagnetic properties inherent to silver (it'll actually resist movement, as you wave it across the magnet surface, feeling like it is "opposing" the magnet, during movement. You could also spit test with foil, to see if it creates sulfides (stink!)... but that could be triggered by silver plating left over...

Easiest thing to do, though, is just to polish it up, and if it polishes super easily, then its likely silver... it's not so corroded that it wouldn't just shine up. Steel, though, would be a butt to polish.

Cheers,

Skippy

The big ring rang up in the low 90's but the small one was only about 68. It is marked 925 but it is not a very deep stamp. The coating is very smooth and silver and it is a rougher but silver color underneath. The color of it when I dug it look like silver that had been buried for a long time. I soaked it in vinegar with foil wrapped around it but and it polished up pretty easily. I will have to try something sales to make sure.

You can get out and enjoy. That is half the fun. Looks like you kept busy with targets and that is the other half of the fun. I am sure you will have some wonderful finds in Japan. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom