First Hunt of 2018

Larbo

I went to the beach at low tide to see if I could find some rings and found 12 of them including 7 silvers and a small 18K gold. I also found a few small pieces of silver jewelry, almost ¥2000 in clad and some cheap stainless steel and copper rings.

I found 10 of the rings in a small area was probably about 30 feet by 30 feet. They had concentrated there and you could tell they had been in the ground for a long time. The gold ring was in the dry sand and seems like it was lost recently. I checked a lot of the beach right above the low tide line and a little higher but only found clad except in one small area.

Hopefully I can get out again this weekend for the second hunt of the year.

Last edited:
:dingding: 12 rings in one hunt is just phenomenal! :wow: Too bad it was only 1 yellow but that silver Tiff is as good as gold!

:dingding: 12 rings in one hunt is just phenomenal! :wow: Too bad it was only 1 yellow but that silver Tiff is as good as gold!

Thanks! I like finding the name brand silver rings. The Tiffany ring is good but it is pretty rough from being in the sand and saltwater. It will need a lot of polishing. I am happy with the one gold even if it is a small one. It took me months to find my first gold after I started detecting again but I have been finding gold or platinum almost everytime I go the the beach recently.

That's an awesome hunt, even your silvers are quality!

Thanks! They were good rings but most of them are in pretty rough shape now. I would like to try to salvage the Tiffany ring if possible.

Wow that’s a crazy good hunt there, congrats!

Thanks GroundSweeper.

I saw the pic before I read and said "holy $$it" awesome hunt. please show the garbage pile as well unless they don't litter there.

I saw the pic before I read and said "holy $$it" awesome hunt. please show the garbage pile as well unless they don't litter there.

There is always a lot of garbage but this is one of the cleaner ones. A lot of people think that Japan is really clean and people don't litter but a most of the beaches are filled with old iron and shredded aluminum cans as well as the usual pulltabs, bottle caps, foil and fishing weights.

I usually have to empty my trash pouch a few times on each hunt but I try to find a place to dump it before I get home. I don't think my wife would like it if I dumped a big bag of junk on the kitchen table to take a picture of.

Congrats on a great start to the year! :yes:

Thanks. I've found a lot of rings like this before in dry sand but this the first time they weren't mostly junk rings. I haven't hunted the beaches at low tide much though. I still don't know why they were concentrated in such a small area. I couldn't tell that there was any difference on that area from a lot of others where I didn't find anything good.

Thanks. I've found a lot of rings like this before in dry sand but this the first time they weren't mostly junk rings. I haven't hunted the beaches at low tide much though. I still don't know why they were concentrated in such a small area. I couldn't tell that there was any difference on that area from a lot of others where I didn't find anything good.
I've seen it happen a few times and it sure is fun hunting in conditions like that. In 2016 I found a small area that produced 10 rings at low tide. The very next day I found 10 more rings in the same spot! Most were silver but 3 were gold. It almost seemed that every other target was a ring mixed in with some lead fishing weights and quarters.
It definitely was not a coincidence. Something was taking place in the surf to concentrate those rings into a small area. :yes::yes:

Nice little gold but the Tiffany is probably worth more! congrats

Probably. The scales I have are cheap kitchen scales that's only weight to the nearest gram and the gold ring shows 1 gram so I guess it is somewhere between 0.5 and 1.4 grams.

12 rings is impressive, especially if 8 of them aren't junkers! Congrats and good luck in 2018 :)

Amazing start to the year- cheers to your 2nd hunt bringing more of the same!

Thanks! I used to get excited about finding any ring but now I only care about the gold, platinum and silver ones. I went out again yesterday and found 2 silver rings but no gold.

I hope both of you have good luck detecting in 2018 too!

Back
Top Bottom