Dry sand hunt with my Vista Gold Gain

therover

Took off work today to hit the beach. So tired of the weather we have been having and when I saw it was going to be sunny and 80…that’s all I needed to know.

I went to the same beach I and a friend have hit the last few weeks. It is the same iron laden patch that I found the silver cross with the Multi Kruzer. This area has also been hit with a NOX 800, F75 and MXT.

Today I was in the mindset to dig all non-ferrous targets. Didn’t want any ID unit…just a two tone analog unit that is great in iron that can hit non-ferrous hard. The Vista Gold Gain was the ticket. I picked this unit up specifically for dry sand hunting in iron, tot lots and the occasional relic hunt ( I am mostly a beach hunter and coin hunter…but may hit a button field tomorrow morning with my friend and will take the VGG).

Hunted for about 3 hours. As you can see, lots of garbage was dug. The pile on the far left is surface iron and trash. I eyeballed them and picked them up. As you can assume, there is tons of the same under the sand.
Ran in 2 tone, GB knob at 3 o’clock. Gain at 40, sensitivity at 45. Iron Discrimination on the red dot. Iron volume fairly low, regular volume at 11 o’clock and adjusted my headphone volume from there.

On almost every sweep there were 2-3 or more low tone iron signals. And non-ferrous signals in between. I dug all repeatable high tones after circling 360 around the target.

Only 4 coins….a nickel which hit really hard and smooth and I actually called it out saying to myself this is a nickel since it was the only target that sounded like that. The ring tabs for the most part sound a bit broken up. A copper penny and two corroded zincs…they are BRUTAL ! I think this area is pretty much hunted out coin wise.

The chain sounded similar to the boardwalk screws…that is why I dug so many. The clasp on the chain sounded just like the head of the screw…the chain itself kinda like the body of the screw. But several of the screws I figured out due to the way they broke up as I swept over them. Probably how they were laying and their co-location next to some rusty iron. What I like about the VGG is I can’t tell anyone what number the chain ID’d at !!! HA ! Chain clasp marked 585 so I assume that is the equivalent of 14K ? Ring I think is junk (marked Made in Hong. Doesn’t say Hong Kong for some reason). There isn’t any rust on it though…not even on the broken ends so I will test it out. Small earring I believe is silver.

Check out some of the really small targets. I think the VGG can be a really nice micro jewelry hunter if one is so inclined. A lot of them fell through the scoop and I didn’t have a pin pointer (don’t really use one when beach hunting). I can see if one wants to micro jewelry hunt they would need a fine mesh scoop.

Used the Super Six coil….dynamite coil for those conditions.

I actually ventured down to the wet sand to see if the VGG could ground balance and hunt. It did for the most part in that once I lowered the gain, upped the discrimination and hunted in all metal, it did not chatter at all.

Obviously I won’t use it there since I have units for that purpose but I just wanted to see how the VGG would react.

I really like how the VGG hunts with the Super Six. Nice and balanced, runs really smooth, can run the gain and sensitivity on the edge of stability and it can sniff out non-ferrous amoung big and small rusty iron with ease.
This is why I purchased this unit and the Super Six…to find gold in the sand. It delivered today big time.

If I go out to the field tomorrow to relic hunt, will use the 11 inch coil first. But man do I love that Super Six on it.

Attachments

• 002 (800x533).jpg
    002 (800x533).jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 445
  • 003 (800x533).jpg
    003 (800x533).jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 453
  • 004 (800x533).jpg
    004 (800x533).jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 445
  • 005 (800x533).jpg
    005 (800x533).jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 431
I would have walked right over that one, Nice Save!

:dingding: Very nice looking chain - congrats! Are you sure you weren't using an Equinox to find it? :lol:

I agree nice chain. That machine sure likes trash also. Congrats on getting the beach clean!

Scuba,

I had to dig all that aluminum to find the gold. I didn't dig much if any rusty iron though. So any machine would have loved the trash in order to find that chain.

Took that chain as well as one of those screws over to my friends house who has a NOX 800. Told him those big screws sounded just like the chain.

He tried all different modes/settings and came to the same conclusion. The chain ID'd (1 or 2 on the ID scale) and sounded just like the screw (in settings where the NOX actually hit on the chain).

You can't discriminate much on the VGG. It has a very wide iron discrimination range and the top end can barely eliminate small foil. It can find very small non-ferrous targets (proved that today using the 11 inch coil on a few very small buttons I found)

It will not eliminate big foil, aluminum and any non-ferrous coin even at max discrimination level.

Interesting. I never heard of the machine and had to do some research. It is a single 30khz frequency. Are you on salt water or fresh water beaches with the critter?

If salt water, do you believe you get good depth with it? I never hunt dry sand beaches, except when I can't get in the waves when I play in Florida.

Sand is easy to dig in anyway. I don't mind junk to find gold.

Are you on salt water or fresh water beaches with the critter?

Scuba.....salt water beach but dry sand. Pretty far up too, near the boardwalk.

I took it down to the wet sand to see how it would react and it ran fairly smooth in the wet sand for the minute or 2 I swung but it's not made for that and I have other units that suit me fine in the wet sand so I headed back up to the dry.

I don't think it would get as much depth as other units made for that type of hunting. It's mainly built for relic hunting and sniffing out non-ferrous targets (and small targets) in iron, which it does with the best of them

Scuba.....salt water beach but dry sand. Pretty far up too, near the boardwalk.

I took it down to the wet sand to see how it would react and it ran fairly smooth in the wet sand for the minute or 2 I swung but it's not made for that and I have other units that suit me fine in the wet sand so I headed back up to the dry.

I don't think it would get as much depth as other units made for that type of hunting. It's mainly built for relic hunting and sniffing out non-ferrous targets (and small targets) in iron, which it does with the best of them

Thank you for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom