Why THIS to a coin?

Seaking406

Elite Member
I didn't even realize it was "Friday the 13th" today.. as I headed out to a nice Nova Scotia beach today with the missus to hunt for (A) Oak Island Treasure clues, (B) Anything interesting on / under the beach sand and (C) Sea glass..

One of three ain't bad as I only managed to find one coin on this beautiful beach, up high above the high tide mark. I had scanned to the low tide mark and everywhere in between, and nothing.. not a beep, hit or false beep.. clean beaches or what?!

So here's this Canadian quarter, you can see part of the Caribou antlers on one face, and with careful glassing, the date of 1984 appears.

But look at the condition of this coin.. the sand particles are embedded into the coins, not just coating it.. the holes, though they look like that they might be drilled, are not.. there are irregular in shape, not round. I know the storms around here can get back what what the heck happened here?!

I've seen crusted caked on coins before but nothing quite like this.. Any idea what's happened to this coin?

Attachments

• IMG_6688.jpg
    IMG_6688.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_6690.jpg
    IMG_6690.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 441
I've seen a couple United States zinc pennies like this before (holes through the coin). However, there weren't as many holes.

Time + corrosion + salt water (?) + cheap metals I think

Yep...a nice example of Galvanic Corrosion...Cool...Bummer though..there wont be any coins to find in 20years...all the bimetal clad will rot away...doubt it has a 50yr life in mineralized/fertilized soils and water..

I think it is obvious that rare metal munching mosquito's got to it. Glad I could help.
:laughing::laughing:

Makes sense! Canadian Monster Mosquitos! They aint playing! For sure could punch a hole in a coin! Once in Ontario, back in 72, those devils were so thick, we had to sleep underneath our overturned aluminum canoes to try to escape them!! Even then they bored right through the bottom and we could see the sunrise like through a screen door!! We lost a couple of good Boyscouts on that trip to the Skeeters...just dried up husks and merit badges was all that was left...

They are quite fond of the Caribou too! So yeah,,that Caribou coin fooled them and they went after it!.. Canadian Skeeters! Good call!

Friday the 13th and i should have stayed home. Had a 45 minute delay due to a multi vehicle pile up on the wayto the beach. . The three hours of work which 45 minutes was in the water yielded two clad quarters, two clad dimes and 11 Lincoln/zincolns cents.

The highlight of the hunt was two lead sinkers. At least the scenery at the beach was nice.

Should have stayed home.

I knew that the Canadian dollar was weak right now.. but come on, this is taking it too far! ;)

Oh the so many jokes we could make lol..

I think I'm done with the beaches till late summer, time to hit the parks where I've had more luck.. ;)

lol nice job with the comedy guys. Cue the Oak Island Narrations:

-- 'A 1998 Canadian Quarterrrrrrrrrrr??????"
---With mysterious holes no other citizen has ever seeeeennnnnnnnnnn?????
----Could this be some sort of time traveling quarter sent from the Knight's Templar as a sign to the metal detecting communityyyyy???

:shock::shock::?::?::lookclose::secret:

So glad that they left our area and are now making fools of themselves somewhere else..

I couldn't help but catch part of an episode where they were in the bank vault going through the safety deposit boxes, 'in hopes that someone was stupid enough not to have emptied the boxes when they closed the bank' ?!?! and how ironic that the first box that they checked from the case on the floor JUST happened to be the one box containing all the keys to all the boxes that they had just used a plasma cutter to open.. it's too stupid to be funny..

Are they purposely trying to make themselves look stupid or does that just come naturally to these people?

Maybe they DID have something to do with the coin that I had found.. could it beee?

lol nice job with the comedy guys. Cue the Oak Island Narrations:

-- 'A 1998 Canadian Quarterrrrrrrrrrr??????"
---With mysterious holes no other citizen has ever seeeeennnnnnnnnnn?????
----Could this be some sort of time traveling quarter sent from the Knight's Templar as a sign to the metal detecting communityyyyy???

:shock::shock::?::?::lookclose::secret:
Yup, can almost picture Drayton air testing it with the 17" coil

Back
Top Bottom