• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

An Opening Line To Try

gfbohn

To get a permission I've had fair luck opening with "my son and I" or "my grandson and I" or "my brother and I" .... "......like to do a little metal detecting as a hobby and .......". Those type openings seem to mellow the initial request. Even if a son, grandson or brother even exist .... it's better than "I" or "we".
It even worked when I got busted at a public park that I thought was okay to detect. The cop came over all huffy to bust me and ...."My grandson and I heard it was okay to hunt here ....". It worked. Your results may vary :-)
Keep swinging....

Even better is to bring the kid along to ask permission. Hard to say no to hopeful little eyes.

I usually door knock by myself, but on a few occasions I’ve had my 9-year-old daughter with me. I have a very good success rate regardless, but I’ve never been told “no” when she’s along - every little bit helps!

Taking my grandson along would probably help since he's the chief of police in this little town.

Even better is to bring the kid along to ask permission. Hard to say no to hopeful little eyes.

....on a few occasions I’ve had my 9-year-old daughter with me. I have a very good success rate regardless, but I’ve never been told “no” when she’s along - every little bit helps!

Haha, I heard of a guy in my area, who does that too. Brought his grade school age daughter along when getting permission . Said it worked like a charm :)

And I know a local grade school teacher for special needs kids. And when he'd go to the ghost towns of Nevada, Arizona, etc... that were on private ranches, he'd tell them how he's a history teacher to special needs kids. And that he's collecting artifacts to show the western history lessons. As prop's for the kids in their history lessons. He noticed his "yes" rates went up, when he spun it in that way .

I tend to catch people while they are working in their yards.

I introduce myself.

I stress that I don't dig with a shovel and leave to trace.

People not understanding the hobby might fear seeing someone operating an excavator on their front lawn and in their flower garden.

Back
Top Bottom