Placer gold in Pa?

davefrompa

I was reading some of the cache stories and one of them made me remember a conversation I had a few months back with a local coin dealer.
I went in his shop (his home) and was showing him about 3grams of placer and coarse gold nuggets I bought off ebay. He says to me;" instead of buying placer gold, why not just get it yourself?" I said somthing like because I have no idea how to even look for gold and second, I'd have to go out west to California or like Alaska. He says theres placer gold right here in Pa! I'm looking at him like "yeah ok, whatever" He says really and that he found some before. This is what he said he does: Around first thaw of winter he uses a small peice of carpet to catch the run off of water and he said the placer gold if theres any will get caught in the carpet. Now, he also said somthing about it has to be melt/runoff from a mountain. The story sounded like it could be true but, I gotta tell everyone, I'm nearly 36 and I have never heard of gold being found around here or in that method. But then again like I said to him earlier I have no idea how to pros. for gold or even know where to look ect.. Is what he said true? Or did I buy the "Brooklyn Bridge"?

What he said was true. I don't have personal experience but have looked into prospecting. I've heard of people using carpet to catch the fine flakes and then burning the carpet and collecting the gold out of the ashes. Sometimes the moss on the sides of a riverbank will also catch fine gold.
Recommend the book "GOLD!GOLD!" by Joseph Petralia if your intrested in the basics.

supposedly there is gold in pretty much every state. there are "claims" here in ohio. there are some good sites on the net that i have seen, just do a search.

Hi,Dave

I am from northeast Pa. also and there is fine gold in a couple of the streams around hear and even a gpaa chapter.The gpaa has a couple claims in Pa. but I don't know where they are.They even find it in both branches of the Susquehanna river.You can do a web search for Pa. gold and there is a guy from over in the Scranton area that finds it.
Hope this helps
Brianpa

PA has six GPAA (Gold Prospectors of America Assoc) chapters.
1.Bloomberg,pa-Wayne Ordille-570 - 474 - 9071
2.Greenville,pa-Neil Baney 724 - 352 - 1673
3.New Oxford,pa-Bryan Bennett 717 - 824 - 1635
4.Port Matilda,pa-Rich Best 570 - 398 - 1458
5.St. Peters,pa-Michael Jones-215 - 262 - 6928
6.Troy,pa-Larry Johnston 570 - 364 - 5349

Get out and enjoy it!Finding that color and knowing your eyes are the first to ever see it is great.Check the 'Outdoor Channel' on tv for 'Gold Fever' and 'Prospecting America'.

Prospecting America is a great show. I don't hunt gold (yet) but that's a good way to have fun, exercise and maybe make some $$$$ HH everyone.

Legend of the Golden Fleece. Not really gold but they got their wealth from putting fleeces in the rivers to catch the gold.
There's also the gold weed, a plant that if growing in gold bearing ground takes it up from the soil. It was harvested, dried and burnt and the gold recovered from the ash.

Back
Top Bottom