• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

backyard find

DitchDigger413

i was detecting at my girlfriends fathers house in the backyard and unearthed this lil guy from about 12-14 inches down with the AT pro.

3 police cruisers,the local bomb squad,the air force bomb disposal unit and after about 3hrs of waiting, they took her away. its a inert practice bomb. maybe a bdu-33?

the day also yielded a 1927 wheatie and a 1972 Lincoln.

im kind of bummed i wasn't able to keep the training bomb:( from some of the iron hits i was getting out there, i think a couple more are laying around back there. :D

Attachments

• 2012-04-14_12-44-04_624.jpg
    2012-04-14_12-44-04_624.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 941
That sucks you couldn't keep it!! :mad: But hey you gave the cops a good story to share with their friends.

Is there a nearby air base or former air base there? Seems like an odd find for Western Mass:?:

That sucks you couldn't keep it!! :mad: But hey you gave the cops a good story to share with their friends.

Is there a nearby air base or former air base there? Seems like an odd find for Western Mass:?:

we have a couple air bases near me out here. this was found near westover

as i was digging a c-5 was flying overhead. they are some massssive planes. they look like they are goin to fall out of the sky haha

they do a lot of military training in the Knightsville dam area. i was camping there 14 years ago and had a dummy bullet explode in my fire pit. they also do some jet runs along the river there also.

If theres one there, there might be more, and now you know they are not real. So the next one is a keeper!

Wow..great find and a story you can tell for ages. Not many can say they found a bomb metal detecting.

With 18 years as a Navy Ordnanceman, I can tell you that it is a practice bomb. It is either a MK 76 or BDU-33. Typically most inert ordnance is painted blue to readily identify it as "inert". However these two particular practice bombs will usually have spotting charges that look like oversized shot gun shells placed in the nose or tail section. If someone is standing directly infront or behind one of these and it goes off you will get a pretty good burn. Many sailors and airman will get injured by these because of complacency because they are "practice bombs".

After doing a little research it is a MK 76 MOD 2. The Navy and Air Force still use the MK76. They have modified it slightly and the tail section is no longer conical shaped, it now has 4 fin stabilizers.

Attachments

• mk76mod2.jpg
    mk76mod2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 605
MinemanCPO thanks for all the info!
do you know how to tell if the charge has been used? is it possible to remove the charge without injury? i have not been back to detect the yard but will be when i have some time to do so. id like to keep one if their are any more back there but would not want to injury myself in the process. the thing was pretty rusty so i imagine trying to remove a charge that hasnt gone off will not be a fun time.

This is a wild find! What a conversation starter! Keep digging those signals!!! Find more! Keep those cops and Bomb Squad Techs. busy!!!

Back
Top Bottom