• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Having Problems with the Ace 250 in Wet Sand

DetectingGold

So today i went to the beach, and the whole beach was wet. There was hardly and dry sand. I started to detect and kept getting false signals. My sensitivity was at 2. I went in the water and my detector started to go all crazy. Overall i only detected an hour and didn't get a proper target. I have heard of the Ace 250 not working in wetter sand and in water, so I guess ill try the beach next time.

Only a multi-frequency machine will do well in the salty wet stuff.

Check your coil connector and make sure the excess coil wire is wound well around the shaft.

At 3 bars sens it should be pretty stable unless your beach is mostly black sand.

Ace 250 does not like wet sand. You need to stay in the dry stuff in your area. Some beaches are not as mineralized and the Ace sometimes works in the wet sand but the sensitivity has to be turned way down, and you are missing targets anyhow.

You can do it, but ya gotta hold yer tongue "just right"

The ACE 250 does TOO work in wet sand

I have one and have used it with some success in the wet sands here in NW Florida. That being said, it is a bit "chatty" and you have to be using headphones (I feel) to get the most out of it. I have found enough items to know that it will find targets in the wet sand AND under water.

You can check out this thread with pic's... http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=69996

Or this one... http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=70584

I set my ACE to Custom Mode so it saves the settings, then disc out 5 cent and all to the LEFT of 5 cent. I leave my sensitivity at 6 of 8 and am VERY careful to NOT touch the sand while swinging as this will cause a false every time. You are going to still get chirps and see a pointer in the disc'ed out area from time to time. When you find a real target, you'll get a repeatable solid signal. The only caveat in this is that the soil in your beaches may be different enough to not allow these settings to work.

What you are trying to do was not something that the designers planned for the ACE I'm sure. It's like brushing your teeth with a scrub brush instead of a toothbrush, it'll work with the right technique most of the time but it won't be pretty and it may not be fun either. Hope this helps and I'm curious how your soil conditions affect yours.

Oh, and remember, your coil may be waterproof, but the control unit IS NOT!

Good Luck and HH!

The ACE 250 does TOO work in wet sand

I have one and have used it with some success in the wet sands here in NW Florida. That being said, it is a bit "chatty" and you have to be using headphones (I feel) to get the most out of it. I have found enough items to know that it will find targets in the wet sand AND under water.

You can check out this thread with pic's... http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=69996

Or this one... http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=70584

I set my ACE to Custom Mode so it saves the settings, then disc out 5 cent and all to the LEFT of 5 cent. I leave my sensitivity at 6 of 8 and am VERY careful to NOT touch the sand while swinging as this will cause a false every time. You are going to still get chirps and see a pointer in the disc'ed out area from time to time. When you find a real target, you'll get a repeatable solid signal. The only caveat in this is that the soil in your beaches may be different enough to not allow these settings to work.

What you are trying to do was not something that the designers planned for the ACE I'm sure. It's like brushing your teeth with a scrub brush instead of a toothbrush, it'll work with the right technique most of the time but it won't be pretty and it may not be fun either. Hope this helps and I'm curious how your soil conditions affect yours.

Oh, and remember, your coil may be waterproof, but the control unit IS NOT!

Good Luck and HH!

Thanks Ill Try That

No it does not like the wet sand....Can it be used though...Yes most definitely with patience...However your depth will be very shallow...

No it does not like the wet sand....Can it be used though...Yes most definitely with patience...However your depth will be very shallow...

Hey Chunky...

That has not been my experience, it found a quarter at 4", a ring at nearly 6" and a dime and penny at 3". Sure it won't go 14 or more inches but my ACE hasn't done better than 11 inches so far in dry sand. Bottom line is, it won't perform like a PI machine that costs 1200 bucks, BUT the ACE didn't cost 1200 bucks either! And it lets you get into the wet sand if you want and feel lucky...

Hey Chunky...

That has not been my experience, it found a quarter at 4", a ring at nearly 6" and a dime and penny at 3". Sure it won't go 14 or more inches but my ACE hasn't done better than 11 inches so far in dry sand. Bottom line is, it won't perform like a PI machine that costs 1200 bucks, BUT the ACE didn't cost 1200 bucks either! And it lets you get into the wet sand if you want and feel lucky...

Cool...4 to 6 inches is shallow....sorry I guess i am just used to the DF. I've hit over a foot with my ace....but your not getting a foot in the wet...I foud a silver bracelt in the surf using the ace...like 4 inches down...

OK, here's proof...

I went out today and wasn't finding much in the dry so I figured I'd just take a walk in the water. After about 10 minutes or so, I found a quarter in the surf washed sand at about 8 inches. I got a good repeatable signal but it was a very quick short signal. I had to dig a bit bigger hole than 1 scoop wide and had to race the surf that kept washing sand back into the hole but 3 scoops down I pulled this out...

Attachments

• 05032011A.jpg
    05032011A.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,378
  • 05032011B.jpg
    05032011B.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,330
  • 05032011C.jpg
    05032011C.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,335
Cool...4 to 6 inches is shallow....sorry I guess i am just used to the DF. I've hit over a foot with my ace....but your not getting a foot in the wet...I foud a silver bracelt in the surf using the ace...like 4 inches down...

Yeah, it's shallow in DF terms but it's better than an "eyeball find". It's certainly not the best MD for wet sand but, it'll do for me until I can afford a better one.

ace 250

I did some expeimenting with my Ace 250 last night. This is what eventually worked best for me. Keep in mind I was in fresh water......still it may be helpfull.

Run on all metal mode. Crank your sensitivity as high as you can go without irradic signals. Run with that.......whenever you hit any tone, run the detector over it again and again from different angles. If the tones are consistent and most of them are in the foil or higher range, then dig it. If most of the tones are in the iron range then it's junk or a false signal. If the tones are just all over the place then give it a scan with a lower sensitivity or try the pinpointer to see if you can find more than one item in the same area. In my experience most of the time these were just false signals though.

One other thing I noticed with my ace is that if you hit or graze anything with the coil it will sound a tone. Even a fairly light bump.

Back
Top Bottom