Ace 250 Question???

txsteele

My 250 seems to hit a lot of trash on the far left of the display past the "foil" indicator. I used to dig them but got tired of finding bolts, nuts, etc.....

Here is the question: Has anyone ever recovered anything worthwhile when the display indicated a "hit" on the far left side? Should I dig 'em anyway?

Never used your detector but like allot of people will tell you there may be something beyond the nut or bolt or rusty piece of junk so it is never a waste of time.
I usually get a broad signal in all metals on those targets, or(in all metals) a broken signal.

Generally, finds to the left of foil will be iron targets. Unless you are relic hunting, you probably won't want to dig those targets. The exception being Tot Lots or the beach, then you will want to dig everything. Hope this helps.

I'd say on the ACE 250, the first couple blocks on the left are not worth your time. That being said... on my X30 I generally notch out the first 3 blocks, comparable to the first three blocks on the ACE 250... but after a recent experience where I dug a $300 Palladium ring that came up as a +4... which would come up on the 2nd block from the left on the ACE 250... you just never know.

Don't know if this helps....

At a totlot I hit a very solid quarter signal at 11" at 7 sensitivity. Dug down through 10" of pine bark and hit the liner still solid quarter then made a small cut and 1 more inch in clay yielded a brass "Y" hose coupling. Odd yet very cool. I guess the point is you can't always trust the machine for 100% accuracy. Very glad I stuck with it I like brass. I tend to dig it all !
Marty

Relic mode Rocks for Rings.....

You miss the hairpins, paper clips, and small nails and still find the tiniest of rings. Still, you have to go according to the site you're in. For one instance, in a heavy tab area, I switch to coins mode and add the icon just below nickel so I can still get the foil targets and have a fair chance for rings in an impossible place.

I've noticed with mine that anything below Nickel is basically not coinage. I would dig those far left ones if I were relic hunting, but not for coin shooting. On the other hand, the persistence of the hit is key. Strong, repeatable, and loud is what you're looking for. I feel that the Ace 250 is a "Listening" detector more than a displaying one. It tends to hop around a lot on the display for lower end targets. If the sens. is set too high it will hop around on good targets too. Personally, I first listen for a good signal, then I quickly reference the display to confirm it. If it has locked on 1 or 2 items on the display, chances are that's what it is. If it is hopping around Iron or junk, I leave it in the ground. I run the Ace250 at (Full sens -3) At that level, it seems to be a lot more accurate. P.S. Look out for those $1.00 hits at 8+ on full sens, you'll dig to China. lol!

I second GrubSlayer's comment about the signal. Hearing the tone of the machine has been key for me and my son. Of course we are still learning the Ace 250, but on the first several hunts we dug everything. I tell my son (9 years old) to listen to the machine and then look at the screen display. We keep the selection mode on "all metal" and go from there. We haven't messed too much with the sensitivity or other mode selections, but we will get there.

Keep us posted on how things are going.

Happy Hunting,
Steve from Seattle

Depends on how much time you have and how patient you are. I normally block out everything below a dime. I know it means I am "possibly" missing some good stuff but there is usually so much trash where I hunt that its not even possible to dig every target. While I may be missing gold , its also entirely possible that there isnt any there to find and what good is a pocket full of trash ? If I am ever in a place with less trash I will start to dig more of the targets on the left side of the screen. It has been said that a really deep coin can read as foil or iron if its deep enough but I havent tested that yet.

I always discriminate the 2 blocks all the way to the left as it is foil and Iron. I don't even waist my time with it. I beach hunt so I don't want to me digging iron.

Back
Top Bottom