F5 or M6

Proflemoi

Well after lots of reading, being confused, moving from one machine to the other I have finally narrows down the choice of detectors to either the Whites M6 or the Fisher F5. Price had something to do with it... the F5 is $500 and the M6 I believe is in the $619 range at kellyco but i have yet to actually get a price from them... I've asked via email.... but no luck... so I thought I would throw this thread out there with the hopes that this discussion will help me choose... I want to look for old coins & Jewelery and use it occasionally on the beach. I love the display on the F5 but am worried about the lack of coils. I do like the idea of the ground balance display on the F5 and wonder just how much difference in the long run it will make. However the choice of coils for the M6 is compelling as well... and seems to make it a bit more versatile ...

In the end its all about the best over all machine and finding the one that will give me the best chance to find targets both shallow and as DEEP as possible since i suspect many of the older coins may be found (in general) at greater depths..... I am sure both have their fine points... but some input between these 2 will really help and set my mind at ease :)

Kind Regards,

Prof L

Around here (California mountains), ground balance means a lot. The M6 will track changes in the ground once you've balanced it...The F5 just "displays" it.

M6 has a signagraph too. Very nice feature in junky areas with multiple targets and a DD coil.

Professor, these folks on the forum have tens of thousands of hours swinging numerous makes and models of detectors and no matter how analytical you try to be, you won't be able to replace their experience. They have been steering you to the MXT for a reason. Get a hold of one and start swinging!

MXT gets a lot of love here for sure.... the price is just bumming me out just now.... One appeal the F5 had was the price and I really liked the look of the display and the ground condition real time indicator and the light weight of the unit but if the MXT alters itself automatically... then that is something I did not know.

It's hard to argue with experience you are right. When sifting all things through the filer I've had lots of people suggest the MXT or the M6 ... but there is a huge FISHER crowd too.... not as many as the MXT that is for sure... or even the M6... this is an important choice for me... I want to do the best I can in making a choice. :) But your right ... I do analyze .. Imagine what I will do when I actually have a specimen to examine and learn. :)

If you're near a dealer, go check them all out for yourself. They should be able to show them all to you and allow you to get a little swing time in on them.

I have the MXT, and it's a great machine. I can't really compare it to the others though, as I have not used either of them personally.

I love my M6 and use it for coins/jewelry/relics and have arsenal of coils. I don't think oyu can go wrong with it. I do just as well as my friend with MXT and saved feww hundred dollars getting M6 instead of MXT. Keep eye on for sale adds and you can find one at a good price. Mine was less than year old with warranty still in effect when I got mine.
Paul

Well I took Hobbes_Lives advice and went to the Kittery Trading Post here in Maine and actually put my hands on the MXT and the M6. Know what I thought... I actually did not like the feel of the MXT and M6. I found the control box to be very awkward to get access to while holding it. They happened to have a Prizm IV on the other side of the rack and guess what... I like the feel of that MUCH better. I know the Prizm is not 1/2 the detector the MXT and M6 are but it told me one thing... I want a lighter detector then the MXT/M6 and I definitely want the controls and display on the top of the bar ... i.e. I am very much closer to pulling the trigger on the F5.
Although comfort is not the only factor it is important to me as is the weight and how it swings. I made my stop on the way home from work, spent about 30 minutes going back and forth between the Prizm the MXT and M6 just to make sure I felt like I did. They actually had the coil on the M6 backwards... but I still could tell the unit did not feel right for me. It was time well spent for sure. True the F5 may not be as good as the MXT... and may have a few less coils.... but for my first detector out of the shoot I think it is going to be a good place for me to start. If I really don't like the F5 I can sell it, get back some of my money and go for another unit.
Now I just have to wait a week or two to save up the coins to buy! :)

Thanks Hobbes for your suggestion.... it made all the difference for me.

After Dinner I jumped back in my car and headed to Cabelas .... we have one in Scarborough Maine... (10 minutes form my house) and I put my hands on the F5. It was a beautiful thing. I am sold. hehehe
:lol:

I had the same delema, and I chose the M6 due to the advice of other users and have had nothing but great finds with it. New to the sport I have been hunting every night for about 2 hrs in the evening (except Sunday becuse of rain showers) and have collect numerous little treasures and over $10.00 in coins...and many of them nickles,dimes and quarters. Nothing but "good" words to say from me about the M6 and the Garrett pro-pointer!

I actually did not like the feel of the MXT or the M6. I thought they were a bit heavy and did not like where the control box was. It felt awkward to me. I then went to check out the F5 at Cabelas and I was VERY happy .. loved the weight, loved the display and the access to the controls... especially like the price $219 LESS then the MXT. I have spoke with several who have the F5 and many love the unit... so I think I am going to give that a shot. The only thin I am not happy with is the limited choice in coils for the F5 ... but I suspect that will change in the near future. If you are interested in my thought process check out the tread I just posed entitled, "Picking your Detector from a Newbies point of View" .... if I am missing something obvious ... hehe please let me know :)

Hey Hobbes... your input was VERY helpful... it set me on the right track for sure... it was the final piece to the puzzle that I needed to hear from someone. Glad I heard it! You can bet I will let everyone know how I make out with the F5 and also the Ace 250.... I could have (and almost did) get the F2.... but I wanted to split up the brands... and the 250 looks like a choice machine for my son and father.

Thanks again dude!

Back
Top Bottom