• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

etrac for beginners

I got an e trac too just before christmas and have not gotten to use it yet. It is supposed to be 50 degrees on Thursday and I can't go that day either. Oh I think the ground would be too frozen too, Cant wait for warmer weather!

Try to look at from a positive point. If it was warm out you wouldn't want to spend time indoors reading/studding learning your machine. You may even get frustrated because you didn't read the manual a few times before your maiden voyage.

Do some air test and play with all the settings you cant hurt it as you can always reset it back to factory defaults.
Down load the emulator and that will keep you busy for some time:D

I bought an Explorer in December 07 and by spring thaw I was READY!

Is a minelab etrac too complicated for a newbie to metal detecting? Any advice would be helpful! thanks.

It really depends on the newbie.

We've been trying for 10 years now to teach my wife's parents how to use a computer but so far not much luck.

Some people just don't get anything even remotely computer. An E-Trac (like others) is very much a computer detector.

Then there are those who learn computer things but just don't like messing with them.

I have been into computers since Al invented the internet and shortly after purchasing my first Explorer I said: "What's the big deal? these are simple!"

Then after a few months I began to realize there's a difference between basic entry hunting and mastering the machine.

So, it's really up to you.

It really depends on the newbie.

We've been trying for 10 years now to teach my wife's parents how to use a computer but so far not much luck.

Some people just don't get anything even remotely computer. An E-Trac (like others) is very much a computer detector.

Then there are those who learn computer things but just don't like messing with them.

I have been into computers since Al invented the internet and shortly after purchasing my first Explorer I said: "What's the big deal? these are simple!"

Then after a few months I began to realize there's a difference between basic entry hunting and mastering the machine.

So, it's really up to you.

Well, I would like to think that I have some computer abilities. I grew up with quite a few electronic gadgets and im 33 years old. I hope that if i read the manual and work with the machine that I will be able to use it well.

Well, I would like to think that I have some computer abilities. I grew up with quite a few electronic gadgets and im 33 years old. I hope that if i read the manual and work with the machine that I will be able to use it well.

Yep, I have no doubt you'll do very well.

Most of the people who hate these types of detectors do so because they don't have the patience to learn them.

Every detector speaks a language. Some are easy to understand but offer mostly vague ideas of what the target might be.

Usually the more sophisticated the machine, the more difficult the language. But once that language is learned, the greater the finds due to more precise information. For the most part today, great finds are a matter of beating deep target masking.

Badger

It will just take time and patience. Just don't let it get the better of you. Keep after it and it will become clear to ya in no time.;)

I'm guessing that the BH is going to be harder for you to use than the E-trac... I consider myself a fairly competant detectorist that figured out the DFX... The BH my buddy had gave me fits.... I had no idea what the targets were with that machine... I'd stick with the Etrac.... let friends that want to horn in on your finds use the BH.... ;)

fixit1, you can go to this link and download the Etrac Emulator near the bottom of the page.This along with downloading and reading the ETrac manual will give you a good idea of how the ETrac operates.The Emulator download includes french coins in the zip file,so heres another link to download U.S. coins,gold and silver jewelry. Hope it helps!

http://minelab.com/usa/products/coin-relic-detectors/e-trac?view=faq

http://www.thebeepgoeson.com/display.asp?page=E-Trac_Emulator_ZIP

Wow! thanks for the links. My e-trac arrived today! Ive put it together and now ready to learn everything I can. It looks like this machine has great capabilities with a competent user. Now if only I can become one I will be set. thanks again!

I'm guessing that the BH is going to be harder for you to use than the E-trac... I consider myself a fairly competant detectorist that figured out the DFX... The BH my buddy had gave me fits.... I had no idea what the targets were with that machine... I'd stick with the Etrac.... let friends that want to horn in on your finds use the BH.... ;)

Absolutely!!

Back
Top Bottom