There be giants!

Chipk

Elite Member
Hunted a site where an old church stood. I have found a number of keyhole frames but never anything like the one I found there.

Lord knows how big the key would have been that went into this frame. Or how big the door would have been. I found a 6 inch key recently and the frame that went with it and am showing it for comparison.

One thing is certain, they probably never lost the keys to this.

Attachments

• C4191531-CDE8-4AE6-8496-0DFA8C85ADD6.jpg
    C4191531-CDE8-4AE6-8496-0DFA8C85ADD6.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 367
That's cool. I have yet to find an old skeleton key.

I've only found the end of a few myself. One was pot metal so not old and the other I just found the other day and was brass so I'm not even sure if it is one to be honest. I need to look up what was written on it to be sure. My guess is it was some type of key handle end or a piece of hardware.

Wow! Now you hafta go back and dig the missing key.
The thing will hit like a freight train four feet down šŸ˜³.
Looks to like it will be the size of a shovel handle on one end .
Great post .
Very cool saves !!!
, Dew

*sigh* I hate to burst your bubble, but that gigantic key hole isn't. It's most likely the slide-slot thingy (sorry for the tech talk) of a chain slide-lock. You know, like the ones you see in hotels and New York apartments.
SageGrouse

*sigh* I hate to burst your bubble, but that gigantic key hole isn't. It's most likely the slide-slot thingy (sorry for the tech talk) of a chain slide-lock. You know, like the ones you see in hotels and New York apartments.
SageGrouse

Canā€™t agree. Those things have a lip where the ā€œthingieā€ attached to the chain will catch. This is flat. And crudely cut. What you describe would have been mass produced and about half the size of this.

That key unlocks the treasure chest filled with gold and precious gems. But seriously, that is an awesome key. Definitely a showcase item being all intact as it is.

Back
Top Bottom