Nothing at a civil war site

pennsylkg

Got permission to hunt a site near a cavalry battle last weekend. After 6 hours of hunting all I got was a modern bullet, a few rusty nails and a piece of farm implement. The farmer said it has been picked over. Don't know if that was the case or if my bounty hunter is not up to the task. I didn't get many signals.

Got permission to hunt a site near a cavalry battle last weekend. After 6 hours of hunting all I got was a modern bullet, a few rusty nails and a piece of farm implement. The farmer said it has been picked over. Don't know if that was the case or if my bounty hunter is not up to the task. I didn't get many signals.

Hey, I'm from York county pa! Well, a site is never fully hunted out, so I would try it out some more. I think I know what cav. Battle you are talking about;)

In all honesty I'm not sure the BH is up to the task. I see guys digging bullets at 12" plus with MXTs and such. You may want to air test/test garden your detector to see where you stand.

im not familiar with the bounty hunters,but some of my best civil war finds ive found at 2-3 inches with my t-2 so im sure the bounty hunters could find them to. keep hunting.

The key to hunting sites that have been worked hard is slow down and dig every signal. There are still things to find... a site is never completely hunted out. Try to mentally grid it off and make sure you are not just going in circles. There may be areas that have been missed.

The key to hunting sites that have been worked hard is slow down and dig every signal. There are still things to find... a site is never completely hunted out. Try to mentally grid it off and make sure you are not just going in circles. There may be areas that have been missed.

That's some great advice...slow down, take your time and check every signal!:yes:

Yea, I'd give it another try. Or keep it in your back pocket till you get a different detector. If you're just looking for "good" signals and not digging lots of iffy and straight up iron, you ought to.

Thanks for the responses. I was pretty excited when I got the modern bullet as the signal was the same as a few Minnie balls I bought. I don't think I dug anything deeper that about 3 inches. I have some other places researched just have to ask permission.

Dig every signal

Yes,
I would say ,dig every signal.
My Tesoro Cibola is known for discriminating good targets among
iron targets.Today I tested my small DD coil on this target:
I had a short cracked signal I wouldn't dig at the field on normal conditions.
:roll::roll::roll:

Attachments

• candado 001.jpg
    candado 001.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 508
not sure where south central PA is but I live in Central PA and I have a new Ace 350 you can borrow if youd like to try a different unit!!

If your at a cw site and your not digging every signal , your missing everything !!!!! I would say that probably 80-90 % of what was used in those battles was made of iron.

You could do as described above to which is hunt after a nice rain storm, you can typically gain 1-3 inches in depth.

The only other advice I could give you is to get up with someone with a PI detector or buy ( rent ) one. They typically have a bit more depth from my experience.

If you don't have access to one shoot me a message as I always travel and might come close your location and don't mind helping out. :D

Thanks guys. Got a little distracted by turkeys season and now the crops are too tall. Will try again next spring if I can't get permission anywhere else. Got turned down twice this week.

P.s. I did dig every signal

You may want to get a better detector. If it's been hunted many times before the relics that are left are much deeper. Many farmers today use no till which means they have no need to plow the field. So when the field was plowed for the last time the relics that were left went into the bottom of the plow line. This means those relics will stay at 9 -12 inches deep until they are plowed up again. And in many cases they will never be plowed up again. Also check around the area for water and hunt in the creek and along it. Horses and men always need water. Good luck

If I had to guess you just haven't hit the campsite yet..
Should be tons of signals if it was a camp of any size...
Bits of can slaw, nails, lead and bits of iron...
Don't discriminate anything...
If there was a camp there you should find a field of debris...
Good luck and don't give it up till you cover it all..
Look at the spots that look good to you for camping...
HH................
Sonny

Back
Top Bottom