Beware before you open the box!

Imboden63

My friend and I got permission to hunt this civil war home years ago. We knew the owner because he delivered steel to our shop. So one saturday we showed up to metal detect and he said he was going out of town for a day or two but we could still detect the area. So we started and found a few interesting items. Then my buddy got a loud signal on his 5900 and it rang up real good. So we started digging and at about a foot down we saw what looked to be a gray metal box. We were going crazy man we hit a cache of money! Finally we dug out the box and it was about 12 inches square and wrapped in duct tape. So we cut the tape and my buddy said go ahead and open it. But before I did I shook it and all I heard was that good old jingle noise. So lifting the metal box up I slowly lifted the lid and wow:shock: The most awful odor hit me in the face and I almost lost my lunch. Here in the box was a small dead cat with a collar on it with small bells. Needless to say we put it into the hole and covered it up. So what you might think is treasure might be something you did not bargain for.:no:

lol I hate when that happens . never dug up a dead cat b4. dug up cremated remains in a tin b4 not nearly as gross though.

Reminds me of the dude that found the dynamite, lucky it didn't go off on him seeing that the glyerin can jell! HH 401K

When my animals have passed on, I've either cremated them or put them directly in the ground with no covering. Mostly cremated. I never liked the idea of my pets festering in a container. Better to return them to the elements.

I did that once. Dug a rusty metal hello kitty box next to a tree in a park. Found out that the kitty box ate a bird lol, as there were bird bones in the box. Proceeded to rebury it. Im sure I haven't been the only one to find it, the park sees a lot of detecting action.

Surprised the cat wasnt decomposed more. Most have recently died or been tightly sealed?

I know guy that dug up an old 50 cal ammo can, and if you know anything about ammo cans then you will know they have a rubber gasket on them and they seal up real good. He said it was about 2 foot deep. I forgot to mention he wasn't suppose to be detecting in that area so he was there in the dark and only using the moon light to see. The area he was in was full of briars, thorns, ticks , mosquitoes, and it was in the summer so it was real hot. Anyways he dug a hole two foot deep and about two foot round so he could get the can out. When he finally got it out and opened it he got a whiff of what was in it and he went to gagging and throwing up. So he decided to get his phone out and see what was in the can. It turned out to be someone's pet ferret. He closed the can threw it back in the hole covered it up and I don't think he has been back there since.

The reason he was at this location at night is because it is a historical location and is off limits to metal detecting.

That was a good one...

I once dug up an 18" Sq 1/4 " steel plate that was a good foot in the concrete like ground.. Looked just like a steel top of a strong box .. I nearly gave up but kept digging till it came out.. Boy was I Hot!!!

Back
Top Bottom