Heading down to Virginia next week.. Advice?

Pacivilwarluke

Elite Member
Somewhere between the north and the south..
Well, I thought it would be nice to post this in the new forum :yes:. Next weekend, I am heading down to Virginia to hunt some civil war relics. I'll be around the cullepepper area, and in a joint effort with my uncle and father, we have secured over 200 virgin acres adjacent to a battlefield. I've never been in Virginia with the at pro and gold, and was wondering if anyone has any tips they would be willing to share. I know how important to ground balance it is down there, but is there anything else I should be aware of? Thanks, and hopefully I'll have a nice haul to share on here in about a week:D happy hunting!

The pro/gold should be just fine,just remember to gb alittle more often.Sometimes bullet's will come up as iron,.....remember to post some pixs of your find's,...gl/hh.:D

I think mostly all AT Pro users around that area use the Pro Zero mode. I heard the ground is spotty and hot in some areas and normal in others. I've never hunted up that way, but your machines should do well. 200 virgin acres next to a battlefield around Culpepper sounds too good to be true. Good luck!

I think mostly all AT Pro users around that area use the Pro Zero mode. I heard the ground is spotty and hot in some areas and normal in others. I've never hunted up that way, but your machines should do well. 200 virgin acres next to a battlefield around Culpepper sounds too good to be true. Good luck!

Haha, that's what I thought, apparently DIV has asked or something and he turned them down. Im not exactly sure why he let us on, but he says it hasnt been hit. I like the pro zero for relics I've done a bit up here in pa and didn't get all that much. I did air tests today, and got 15 inches on a us box plate, so I figure I'll be in good shape.:yes:

If it's a good solid signal, iron or not, dig it. Most of the time bullets sound like iron as well as buttons. If you need some help I have lots of experience with the AT Pro in VA's bad dirt...lol

Here's a little trick Luke. Take a .58 Minnie along bury it & see what it sounds like. Bury it at say 8" try different setting on your machine to see if it's possible to pick it up. Pin point it see how big the target seems to be & remember the depth & size. Dig all signals in that range that read the same. Good luck & show us your booty when you get back. HH TIM Remember the Force Luke

Last edited:
Some great advice in this thread. Honestly it depends on which patch of ground, but the fields there can get hot-hot-hot. Yes, I have seen a bullet on top of the ground in Culpeper that rang up as iron on my DFX. Yikes! The pro and gold, like any VLF, will have problems in that ground BUT that doesn't mean it's hopeless. It just means you have to dig a lot of iron to get the goods. Good targets WILL read like iron even at shallow depth. I hunt as Digger70pa describes. I actually run my machine in pinpoint mode with the DC gain cranked up for searching, and then flip it back to discrim to investigate the signal. But if it's a solid tone with the right pinpoint size and depth, I'm digging it. Once you're into an area of high concentration of relics, hunker down and dig dig dig in that area. Don't forget to look for huts and trash pits while you're there. Good luck!!

It would be real nice to come across a trash pit, ya never know! Looks like I'll be digging all repeatable signals. I'll definitely be using the 8.5x11, I've heard stuff is deep down there! My goal would have to be a cavalry officers button. I'll keep everyone posted next weekend! Thanks for allure advice!:yes:

Back
Top Bottom