Got this for Christmas.

The Jersey Digger

Elite Member
My wife got me an ultrasonic cleaner for Christmas. Can it be used to clean dirty clad? That is what she thought I'd use it for. Thanks

My wife got me an ultrasonic cleaner for Christmas. Can it be used to clean dirty clad? That is what she thought I'd use it for. Thanks

Never used one, I have heard of others using them, but I think a more mechanical action like a tumbler is the best for clad. Let us know what your results are with it.

I've got a small one, not really great at cleaning coins. Have only used tap water, but get better results, quicker, with an old toothbrush... Been meaning to try some dishwasher soap, but never seem to remember it when shopping, since I don't find myself in that part of the store very often... There are different things you can try, and might get around to experimenting eventually. Just recently picked up a glass beaker that fits in the basin, as I still wanted to use it for the shaver, so have tried that much clad. My dog doesn't seem to like me using it much either...

Mine only runs 5 minutes, before it shuts off automatically (generates heat with long use). Works great for my electric shaver blades though.

Was thinking of using a mild abrasive solution, like a rock tumbler's, glass beads, maybe some fine sand. But, my initial attempts weren't encouraging enough, and have other thing going on.

She bought it from harbor freight. I'm probably gonna take it back and put twenty bucks more out and get the tumbler. Just was wondering if anyone had used one for cleaning coins.

Tumbling is best for cleaning up clad.

Ultrasonic cleaners are GREAT for cleaning old jewelry, small engine carburetors, eyeglasses, etc.

(i hope i'm not hi-jacking the thread)

i'm experimenting with a homebrew ultrasonic gizmo right now. it's basically just a small electric motor with an offset and weighted pulley (to make it vibrate) and i've got it fastened to the side of a round tupperware container. i'm powering it with a variable output power supply, so at different settings i can get some pretty good "wave action", lol. i've got a handful of pennies on the go, and have been shaking them for a total of about 2 hours and i've already changed the water several times. it gets murky, so i guess that's from the dirt coming off the coins. :yes:
i initially tried using aquarium gravel and even though it moves around a bit within the container, it's too large and doesn't seem to do a whole of cleaning, only in spots where it's touching the coins.
then i tried mixing some beach sand in with it and the aquarium gravel kept coming to the top of the sand. (who says rocks won't "float", haha!) i've got most of the gravel out and now i'm just using mainly the sand.

it's not getting the coins shiny, but it IS taking the dirt off.
lol, for the amount of time i've had them shaking, i could have easily had them scrubbed several times over, but this is less work, haha! :laughing: then again, the time frame is really not much different than it would be if i were using a tumbler.........

again, sorry if this was a hi-jack to the thread.

Ultrasonics are good for cleaning up tattoo equipment etc, not sure on the clad....but good luck with the tumbler.:cool:

i might try my wifes sonic toothbrush on some old coppers after she leaves for work :lol:

Back
Top Bottom