• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

electrolysis setup questions

Sure that will work I have made several throughout the years. I like using an adjustable AC power adapter with a polarity switch. That way you can try different volts for different objects and if you hook up the wires backwards you just flip the switch. I just use warm salt water and a piece of stainless steel for the electrode. You can tell right away if the particles are going in the right direction. Keep an eye on the object or you might dissolve it away and change water as needed. What part of Texas are you in?

Down in the Texas Independence Trail region... lol Houston area to be a little more specific.

Cool, any ideas on where to get a good decent power source? I found an old intercom 12v DC power supply here with +/- marked wire terminals. BUT it's pretty old, probably from early 1990's.

Would want something a little more reliable.

That's probably fine. Mine is about that old, Radio Shack brand. Or you can go get a trickle charger from Wally World for about $15. Never tried one for electrolysis but it looks like what they were using in the link you had. Anything off of any old gadget should work. Even a battery if you are desperate.

I tried this years ago and it ate up the clips and blackened the coin where the clip attached. Am I doing something wrong?

how do you not submerge the clips? And yes, I agree, sounds like the polarity was reversed on your clips.

Cleaning tonight

Cleaning 10 posable cobbs tonight my electrolisis 12 inches by 8 plastic tub from walmart, 20 large aligater clips from radio shack,10 gage wire,cut 6-8 inch leads attach clips to both ends,get two stainless steel 1/4 inch Plates,i put 1 across the top,1 down the side,attach clips to beam across,coins to the other end in the tub,connected is a 10 volt marine battery charger,attach positive to the beam down the side,negitive to the beam running across,fill about two inches of water,two large table spoons of backing soda,put outside and turn on the power,takes about ten minutes you will see it working,found this out from Mel Fishers musium in Florida when i was their and stoped by and held the Gold Bar before it got stolen that was from the Atocha Sunk Florida Keys Sept.6th. 1622,nice place by the way if your ever down their its a must see 1322 us hwy one Sebastian Fl 32958,they have some cool stuff their,picked up a replica eight reel,made from a silver bar from the Atocha surrounded in gold,its on my neck,hung with a diamond cut rope chain,1 day i will find a real 22k gold 8 real than that will go around my neck lol Take care Earl

Sure that will work I have made several throughout the years. I like using an adjustable AC power adapter with a polarity switch. That way you can try different volts for different objects and if you hook up the wires backwards you just flip the switch. I just use warm salt water and a piece of stainless steel for the electrode. You can tell right away if the particles are going in the right direction. Keep an eye on the object or you might dissolve it away and change water as needed. What part of Texas are you in?

Stainless steel should NEVER be used for electrodes. The waste water is an environmental hazard due to the chromium and can't/shouldn't be dumped down the drain.

There's plenty of info/warning on the web about this.

Stainless steel should NEVER be used for electrodes. The waste water is an environmental hazard due to the chromium and can't/shouldn't be dumped down the drain.

There's plenty of info/warning on the web about this.

Never knew. So copper is best?
Thanks for heads up.

Brand name?

Hey Blklion, what is the brand name of the power source you use?
Adjustable voltage, and reversible polarity sound awesome.
I was trying to find one like it and I keep comin up short... :-)

The cherry-on-top though...that I haven't been able to find yet: a TIMER to be able to set it for say.....five minutes...or.

I got a little 10 gallon aquarium to use for this purpose...12 bucks at petsmart. Can't wait to see it cook!

posted by Blklion originally posted by Surf Master

Biklion i visited the Mel Fisher musium in May while i was in Florida for 2 weeks hunting the Treasure beaches,well respected,in the bussiness of reck dives and his, son & divers,we will all miss him,i picked up a pamplet (How to Build your own Electrolytic reduction tank,it has a pic of two forks on it before and after electrolysis is done,the reason WHY STAINLESS STEEL IS USED,is the tank is set up so the stainless steel is the anode (+) and the artifact is the cathode (-) so Biklion you are 100% blowing smoke in the wrong thread,anyone on here that wishes to have more info on this feel free to ask,word for word of this paper from the pros,Happy Hunting Earl

Stainless Steel used

On cleaning your fines ,read the post Making a electrolysis set up,read CFmct-pi post click on the link,how to build an electrolysis,a stainless steel spoon is used,on this link & as i use stainless steel, to build my electrolysis,hope the link from another pro, helps you Earl

Biklion i visited the Mel Fisher musium in May while i was in Florida for 2 weeks hunting the Treasure beaches,well respected,in the bussiness of reck dives and his, son & divers,we will all miss him,i picked up a pamplet (How to Build your own Electrolytic reduction tank,it has a pic of two forks on it before and after electrolysis is done,the reason WHY STAINLESS STEEL IS USED,is the tank is set up so the stainless steel is the anode (+) and the artifact is the cathode (-) so Biklion you are 100% blowing smoke in the wrong thread,anyone on here that wishes to have more info on this feel free to ask,word for word of this paper from the pros,Happy Hunting Earl

This should be enough "said"...

http://users.eastlink.ca/~pspencer/nsaeta/electrolysis.html

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

Two of many, many, many sites with the same warning.

o/` Smoke on the water.... o/`

Biklion post(STAINLESS STEEL).

Both the links you supplied i read,said in the people who work every day,for a long period of time,could be subject to,first of all all my electroysis is done outdoors,2nd the pros use stainless steel,3rd if you believe everything you read,every study ever conducted,you wouldn't know what to do.Last i will along with the professionals continue to use stainless steel as the anode (+) when using my electrolysis.Big Earl,the Professionals use STAINLESS STEEL

Professionals use stainless steel, are licensed, keep records (EPA required), deal with haz-mat manifests and the whole 9 yards.

A good grade of steel works just as well although it requires some cleaning from time to time AND you can safely dump the stuff down the drain without worry about how it will affect your neighbors.

Both the links you supplied i read,said in the people who work every day,for a long period of time,could be subject to,first of all all my electroysis is done outdoors,2nd the pros use stainless steel,3rd if you believe everything you read,every study ever conducted,you wouldn't know what to do.Last i will along with the professionals continue to use stainless steel as the anode (+) when using my electrolysis.Big Earl,the Professionals use STAINLESS STEEL

The information is out there. Many sites that touted using stainless steel now have disclaimers and warnings. What you do with the information is, basically, your responsibility and choice.

And since you're so adroit on this subject perhaps you can advise the rest of us exactly how to handle and dispose of the resultant contaminated electrolyte waste?

The way I see it is that the hazards truly outweigh any benefit by using stainless steel as electrodes. Steel works fine though it has to be wiped off from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom