AT Pro users: highest/lowest gold readings?

Bagelbites

Forum Supporter
Hey. For you AT Pro users, what are the highest and lowest readings you've gotten for gold? Just curious. I hit a 14k grill at 44, and a small 18k ring at 67.

Not an AT-pro user, but since all metal detector TID systems are merely using a conductive scale to classify, I'll take a stab at it:

It will depend on size and karats. (24k pure gold, with no alloys, is actually a very high conductor). And size plays into it. Example: Teensy alloyed gold earing studs can read about whispy foil, and a brick made of gold reads like silver dollar.

Consider the following example: It's like asking: "where does aluminum read?" To test that question take a small snippet out of an aluminum can (or simply wave a beaver tail- tab). Where does it read ? At nickel or tab low range. Right ? Ok now wave an entire aluminum can. Where does it read? Penny or quarter, right ?

But it's exactly the same composition in each case: Aluminum. So what changed ? Only the size. SO TOO is it with gold. Hence an impossible question to answer.

So if your objective is to find more gold, the trick is not "dig low conductors in junky parks till your arms fall off". Or some supposed trick of thinking your can isolate certain TID's or sounds (impossible). Instead, the "trick" is to go to places where jewelry is @ better ratios. Namely: swim beaches.

Great posts Tom! :yes:
That's why on the top of your AT Pro screen you'll see a "scale" showing the broad area where gold (And silver!) can show up when you're searching. The different sizes, shape and alloys make it a tough game to play.
Like has been said: if you want the good stuff, ya gotta dig the trash as well.
Me personally, I've found small 14k at 40-41...... right there in the tinfoil range and large 14k white at about 52.... the pulltab range.

Pete

... if you want the good stuff, ya gotta dig the trash as well....

Hey there Pete, while it's a given that alloyed gold and aluminum share the same conductive ranges (on a size-per-size basis), yet a person can cut down the punishment ratio by being very selective on: Location location location. One time I was at the beach after a storm . Where all the light stuff is washed out and only heavy objects (sinkers, coins, lead globs, rings, etc...) remained. Got 5 gold rings that day. And guess how much aluminum ? Zero. In fact, not even any zinc pennies either (since those are lighter and got washed out with the erosion sand too.)

I realize that someone inland @ Sacramento isn't going to have the liberty to be at the coast or know when such days are occurring. But even inland, there's swim beaches too (at lakes). The foothills in the low lying hills around Sacramento are riddled with swim holes. And yes, sure, foil, can slaw, etc... will occur at fresh water beaches. But at least it beats the heck out of digging in manicured turf. Doh! And if someone doesn't have swim beaches, there's other environs where the ratio goes up: Mud wrestle pits, sand volley-ball courts, ski-lift lines after spring thaw, etc.....

44 for tiniest gold ring I found and 72 for largest gold ring I found with ATP. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've personally hit 37/38 for a small 10k ring for a high school girls little finger. I mean it was smaller than a dime easily. It was next to a tree in the parking lot and had been "Snow plowed" to get there. My buddy has a nice 10k at 67/68 and my 8.5 gram 22k was at 60/61.

I dont know if this will help or not.....Gold is a Cruel Mistress!

I had my AtPro set at 40 disc Pro Zero Mode, Iron off even....(which is what 40 disc should be anyhow) ...waist deep water... I got a strange small signal...junk, but a very strange tone, glancing at the screen, there was a 38tid bleeding through the 40disc/iron off settings? WTH?...so I was curious enough to scoop it up....It was a 10k Figaro chain...

So yeah...when it comes to gold...especially chains..or broken band rings, or strange shapes with open filligree patterns, all bets are off concerning TIDS and settings...

Nice solid bands a guy will not EVER miss!...not even small ones, the Pro hits rings like a train! Even tiny little ones! ...I got a 14k .4gr little tiny ring with the Pro! Less than Half a Gram! ...so I know it has the capabilities to find both large and small gold rings as well as chains....

White gold does not read the same tids as Yellow gold..and diameter of the rings have an effect on the tids as well...a big heavy white gold ring with a small OD will be Lower TID than a yellow of similar size and a third of the weight! Dont trust your eyes on the TIDS..Our ears are way more accurate....learn to listen and study gold, you have to think about it, dedicate yourself and leave the house everyday hunting for it! Concentrate HARD!..Work the junk and pull the numbers in the right locations!..

I run Pro Zero...no Disc, Iron on nowadays as you can imagine...My best and largest gold find to date with the Pro is a 74gr 24k chain...sounded like a couple of pulltabs, or a stainless steel hoseclamp, another junk signal in the RIGHT location...and I'm sure it tidded accordingly, but I dont know...I dont look at tids anymore, I dont trust my eyes for decision making purposes at all!..They have gotten me into more trouble, squandered me more money and missed opportunities my whole life!:laughing:

Attachments

• may 5 chain.jpg
    may 5 chain.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 85
  • sept 8 13-2.jpg
    sept 8 13-2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Sept 8 13.jpg
    Sept 8 13.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
So if your objective is to find more gold, the trick is not "dig low conductors in junky parks till your arms fall off". Or some supposed trick of thinking your can isolate certain TID's or sounds (impossible). Instead, the "trick" is to go to places where jewelry is @ better ratios. Namely: swim beaches.

True,and best answer!! Go where multitudes of people gather.:yes::dingding:

Hey. For you AT Pro users, what are the highest and lowest readings you've gotten for gold? Just curious. I hit a 14k grill at 44, and a small 18k ring at 67.

Hey Bagelbites.

My gold ranges are actually in EVERYTHING (literally, not a gap in there) from 39 to 75.

I had a 39-41 bouncing signal that turned out to be a tiny 1 gram gold ring (14K).

a 40-41 signal that was a gold earring. (larger at 2.4grams, if I recall correctly, but not a full circle).

Several 42 signal gold rings some 10K, one a big 4.2 gram white gold ring, but it was a very small size, something like a 4.5.

Several gold rings that bounced between 43 to 45 but strongest on 45 (lightweight unisex gold rings, both 10K and 14K).

Gold rings at the 46, 47, and 48 range (pretty consistent here with women's diamond rings).

One 10K class ring that bounced from 47 all the way up to 72. (and when I say bounce, I mean BOUNCE... all over the place. Even on top of the ground it was everywhere. Big thing, too. 14grams or so.

Plain band rings at 50, 52, 51-54, 55, and at 56.

An amethyst 10K at 55.

One 22K bangle at 52-53.

Bigger men's rings at 58, 60, 62, and 67.

Gold 10K ring at 69

One set of rings that rang up between 67 and 71. One was a 14K with diamonds, the other was a 14K and 18K ring (had a small 18K front).

Honker gold men's rings at 72, 73, and 74-75. all 14K.

All the above numbers are based on my recollection of SPECIFIC rings... (I've found exactly 40 of them... all dirt. 27 of them on the AT Pro *23 listed above, I couldn't remember the other 4...*, the other 13 with an ACE350).

All but two of them bounce a point or two off depending on the angle. The two I recall were dead solid were at 55.. both of them never varied. I thought for sure they were going to be nickels.

Short answer, EVERYTHING from 39 to 75. But... And here's the but... 90% of the rings were solid or fairly solid signals. NOTHING like a wimpy piece of foil in the ground. But... there's that 10% that DID sound like foil (one was a tiny promise ring at a bark park, that rang up 42 and a whisper, the others were just choppy and surprised me.. ALL "poor" signals were deeper than 5", though)

Hope that helps.

Lowest I've seen is a small 14k chain that came in at 28. I run my iron audio down to 21 when tot lot hunting.

WOW... I run zero in tot-lots (actually, I just kick on iron audio), but I've never found light gold chains, yet. (plenty of chains, though!) A 28 for me is almost always a bobby-pin.

Nice find!

I dont know if this will help or not.....Gold is a Cruel Mistress!

I had my AtPro set at 40 disc Pro Zero Mode, Iron off even....(which is what 40 disc should be anyhow) ...waist deep water... I got a strange small signal...junk, but a very strange tone, glancing at the screen, there was a 38tid bleeding through the 40disc/iron off settings? WTH?...so I was curious enough to scoop it up....It was a 10k Figaro chain...

So yeah...when it comes to gold...especially chains..or broken band rings, or strange shapes with open filligree patterns, all bets are off concerning TIDS and settings...

Nice solid bands a guy will not EVER miss!...not even small ones, the Pro hits rings like a train! Even tiny little ones! ...I got a 14k .4gr little tiny ring with the Pro! Less than Half a Gram! ...so I know it has the capabilities to find both large and small gold rings as well as chains....

White gold does not read the same tids as Yellow gold..and diameter of the rings have an effect on the tids as well...a big heavy white gold ring with a small OD will be Lower TID than a yellow of similar size and a third of the weight! Dont trust your eyes on the TIDS..Our ears are way more accurate....learn to listen and study gold, you have to think about it, dedicate yourself and leave the house everyday hunting for it! Concentrate HARD!..Work the junk and pull the numbers in the right locations!..

I run Pro Zero...no Disc, Iron on nowadays as you can imagine...My best and largest gold find to date with the Pro is a 74gr 24k chain...sounded like a couple of pulltabs, or a stainless steel hoseclamp, another junk signal in the RIGHT location...and I'm sure it tidded accordingly, but I dont know...I dont look at tids anymore, I dont trust my eyes for decision making purposes at all!..They have gotten me into more trouble, squandered me more money and missed opportunities my whole life!:laughing:

Nice post, Mudpuppy. Well constructed, with good stories to back up the evidence.

Back
Top Bottom