Hunt location question ???

Refmec

This is a general question , has anyone ever hunted around a cemetery ? There is a abandoned cemetery near one of my hunt sites , it dates early 1800s to 1920s. The property has gone up for commercial sale , everything I'm sure will be moved or fenced once it's sold. I have permission to hunt the property BUT would you hunt in or around a cemetery ? Just seems creepy to me.

This is a general question , has anyone ever hunted around a cemetery ? There is a abandoned cemetery near one of my hunt sites , it dates early 1800s to 1920s. The property has gone up for commercial sale , everything I'm sure will be moved or fenced once it's sold. I have permission to hunt the property BUT would you hunt in or around a cemetery ? Just seems creepy to me.

Haha, I see that you've only got 3 posts. Welcome to FMDF. But since you're new here, (and perhaps new to other md'ing forums), let me be the first to bring you up to speed on this question you're posing:

Whether or not to hunt in or around cemeteries has become the most comical topic, because it becomes a powder keg of sensitivities, religion, politics, etc.... all wrapped up in one topic . Heck, let's just add: What's the best dowsing rod or LRL to use while wearing my confederate flag shirt while hunting that graveyard. And then you'll REALLY have a fun post for the mod's to try to sort out :roll:

Trust your instinct. . If it doesn't feel right. .don't do it. But you could search the outskirts of it. A lot of people used to get together on Decoration Day around a cemerty. .there may be some lost items in those areas

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks guys , and yes Tom I am very new to this world of detecting and I love it ! I think for me it goes back to the days of digging in the dirt as a kid thinking I would find buried treasure. I hope I didn't open up Pandora's box with the question lol ! Pan4au hit it right I believe , if it don't feel right than don't do it , I may run the outside of it and see what turns up , I'm sure over the years there was something lost there.

.... I am very new to this world of detecting ....

All you need to do is go to any of the 4 or 5 top trafficked md'ing forums. Use the keyword search and type in "cemetery" or "cemeteries" . Scroll down the list of threads, and choose those that went out to 5, 10, or 15+ pages. Then you'll see all the opposing viewpoints :)

Especially threads that were from 10 or more years ago. Because it's now gotten to where long-timers don't even click on, or contribute their views any longer to the topic. You'll find no shortage of yester-year great pro/con discussions on the topic via key word searches.

Thanks Tom, I will be sure to do a search . I am curious now to see all viewpoints !

OMG...There are three things that incite the villagers more than anything every time they are brought up on any of these forums and I am talking about sometimes pitchforks and torches incited....
Dowsing, Long Range Locators and most of all, hunting in cemeteries.

There are passionate opinions, (and trolls), on both sides of a these issues, mostly loaded on one side more than the other, and if you do search for older threads you will see all of it.
Some of them can be entertaining, other times they can be maddening.

Threads have been locked because they have gotten out of hand on some, others have been wiped out completely, feelings have been hurt, enemies have been made and a few members have even been permanently banned due to overreactions on either side of all three subjects.

You are new so you don't know.
Search...read and learn.

By the way...most are of the opinion that hunting cemeteries is just bad karma but hunting perimeters and outside these properties is considered safe.
That may well be, logically, but you need to take into account this is 2017, people nowadays are easily enraged, common sense is sometimes not so common and even innocent acts can be misconstrued, changed, go viral and mess up your life.
This exact thing happened to this poor fellow, a new hunter that didn't know any better but paid the price for his innocence back in 2008...people haven't gotten a whole lot smarter or saner since then as far as I am concerned.

This guy thought it was ok, it pretty much ruined his life for awhile even though he was eventually found innocent.
It cost him time, money, a huge amount of hassle to his whole family and a serious hit to his name and reputation.
His version was he was just digging up a few coins near the sidewalks, the news media had him digging up graves with a shovel and stealing rings and jewelry.
No matter what the truth is people are crazy, illogical and angered easily.
I wouldn't go near a graveyard, inside, outside, sidewalks or anywhere else and this is why.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=232143

Original story...
http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2008/08/30/grave-concerns

Heck, let's just add: What's the best dowsing rod or LRL to use while wearing my confederate flag shirt while hunting that graveyard. And then you'll REALLY have a fun post for the mod's to try to sort out :roll:

:laughing:

I'll put it mildly. It's disrespectful and shines a bad light on the hobby. Even if it "feels right", don't.

And welcome!

I'll put it mildly. It's disrespectful and shines a bad light on the hobby. Even if it "feels right", don't.

And welcome!

That's it in a nut shell! :yes:

Even if this concept could net you some excellent finds, it's just not right.

I've worked outside edges of such places, but not inside the gate.

Was given an opportunity to hunt in and around a cemetery when I first received my machine, little over a month ago, and very quickly declined. Just didn't seem like it was respectful. Something I couldn't knowingly do. On the same side of the coin, I will hunt behind my office from time to time and was informed there is a suspected Indian burial mound at the end of the property. Was told to check it out if I wanted, "Who's gonna know". Just don't have it in. Not to mention the bad karma that goes with both....Just my two cents worth. Not trying to start a debate or beat a dead horse. In my own opinion and personal beliefs its just not the right thing to do. Your moral compass will always point you in the right direction.

attachment.php

Unless whoever owns the cemetery requests your help with a detector to find grave markers or something like that, and is onsite with you at the time in case someone start making accusations, then definately a no. Never for personal gain or just curiousity to see what you can find. Opinions can vary, this is just mine.

I love metal detecting but if I saw someone detecting anywhere near one of my loved ones graves the situation could get ugly fast. I wouldn't like it AT ALL! And I suppose most people feel the same way even if the graves are very old.

There is a abandoned cemetery near one of my hunt sites ,

LOL....everyone left?

Seriously though OP, this subject comes-up on occasion, and generally from someone new to the hobby, so don't feel bad for asking. A site search would have given you pretty much the same replies you've gotten here.

LOL....everyone left?

Seriously though OP, this subject comes-up on occasion, and generally from someone new to the hobby, so don't feel bad for asking. A site search would have given you pretty much the same replies you've gotten here.

Great views on all accounts ! I will consider all points taken and never utter this subject again ! I have definitely decided not to even think of doing it , bad juju . Thanks for all the input.

Back
Top Bottom