Built a new Sand Scoop

Bigfoot

Here is a Pic of the scoop I built during my off time the past 2 days. It is all stainless. 14 guage with 3/4 thin wall seamless pipe for handle. (Had to weld it with stick welder, couldn't get the tig.) Scoop is 9" deep at the bottom and 6" deep at the top. 5" wide from flat side to flat side. 6 1/2" wide from point to point. It has 148 1/2" holes. Weighs just over 5 pounds. I tested it at a water hole on my way home. Works very well. If someone would like to build one like it, I will make some diagrams and post them.

:wow: Wow Bigfoot, that is major! You made it in 2 days? Amazing.

I'll bet it lasts you a R-E-A-L long time. Can't wait to see what you find with it.

That's a nice design. The welding looks a little rough, though. I used to be pretty good at arc welding, but I probably couldn't lay down a nice bead to save my life now. :lol:

You should go into mass production. You could probably fetch $125 to $150 for such a scoop. Good job!

Had to hurry a little when I was welding it up. I could clean it up with a grinder, but the sand will give it a good shine in time. I would like to make a few to sell, but really don't have the time. Also hard to get the metal. Have to dig through the scrap bins.

I was Planning to make a scoop just like yours :yes: when I receive will the White's Beach Hunter, but I will add mesh at the back so that I can use it in dry sand. nice job :)

I'd love the plans

I've been looking around the net for plans on making a scoop, and you appear to be the only person that might have one. The design looks durable and functional. Please, post it here, or email it to me [email protected]. Thanks!

Quick scoop

I'm going to the beach for a quick trip and didn't have the time or cash for a "real" scoop. I make a few quick scoops to try on the beach using an aluminum sauce pan and the cone from a ricer. I picked up both from a thrift shop for a total of $5.50. The ricer seems pretty solid, but I've not tested either yet. I made the holes just big enough so that a dime will not fit through.

You can see the photos on Flickr.com either search for mlitty metaldetecting or try this link.

http://flickr.com/search/?q=mlitty%20metaldetecting&w=all

Some day I may pick up a real scoop. I'd love one with the wire basket, but for now, my wife is limiting my hobby budget and a scoop isn't in there.

Hope this helps someone.

Mlitty, I've built a couple scoops. Unless your sand is super dry it won't go through your scoops. Ther is too much space between the holes. Rob

Thanks for the tip.

I was concerned about the thin metal bending and/or breaking if I put them too close. I'll put some more holes in the pot as a test, but the ricer was a bit hard to find, and therefore replace. It seems to work well enough with the wet sand in my back yard (I'm in the sand hills), though I know the beach sand will be more coarse.

If I have the time, maybe I'll cut the bottom out of the pot and pop-rivet some mesh into the bottom.

Very clever Mlitty.

Bigfoot...I got on the post too late to see the pic of your scoop. Will watch for re-post.

Thanks guys!!!

Back
Top Bottom