Funny story of "no one's ever md'd here before"

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
If you've ever sought permission to hunt some awesome sounding place you researched, you might hear the landowner say "... and no one's ever metal detected here before...". So you've researched an old stage stop, or country picnic site, or 1800's resort site, etc.... And when you hear the owner tell you that, you immediately have dollar signs in your eyes, eh ?

Here's a story to make you re-think such owner's assertions:

When I was a kid in the mid 1970s, I got my first detector. An all-metal TR . At one point, I got permission from an elderly Gentlemen to hunt the yard of a turn-of-century home. I recall getting a few wheaties, some clad, perhaps a single silver roosie, etc...

Then a few years later, about 1980, I was sporting the latest greatest VLF/TR. I wanted to pit it, for testing purposes, against a place where I could say my prior machine had already covered. So I knocked on the door of the same home. This time an elderly lady answered the door (presumably the elderly gentleman's wife) . She gave the go-ahead, and commented "No one's ever md'd it before". (I didn't bother correcting her). I got a few more wheaties, another silver , and perhaps a buffalo, etc...

Then about 1983-ish, I was sporting the latest greatest motion discriminator. And wanted to try it out in a place where I was fairly certain I'd worked hard. So I knocked on the door of the same house. This time a middle age lady answered the door. She explained that the house belonged to her parents, but that they'd gone to live in assisted living, so she was preparing the house for sale. But she didn't think her parents would mind, so she granted permission. The she quipped "... and no one's ever md'd this before" (I didn't bother correcting her). I got a few more old coins and a trade token.

Fast forward to the early 1990s, and I was sporting the latest great TID machine. Wanted to try it out in a place where I could be fairly certain was picked over. Went back to the same yard. A young couple answered the door. (presumably the people who bought it 10 yrs. prior). They gave the go-ahead. And commented "no one's ever md'd it before". Doh!

And so too do I see the same phenomenon at lots of places. Even long-time property owners sometimes simply have no idea. Eg.: perhaps a ranch-hand gave the go-ahead to their buddy . Perhaps a family member gave the go-ahead but simply didn't tell the husband or brother or sister or whatever. Perhaps someone ... uh ... "simply helped themselves". Perhaps it was detected before the current ownership. Many scenarios. Yet the person telling you 'no one's ever md'd it before' will be utterly certain that no one's md'd it. Simply because they haven't happened to have heard about it. And they just assume that if it HAD been hit, they'd have been told or heard.

If you've ever sought permission to hunt some awesome sounding place you researched, you might hear the landowner say "... and no one's ever metal detected here before...". So you've researched an old stage stop, or country picnic site, or 1800's resort site, etc.... And when you hear the owner tell you that, you immediately have dollar signs in your eyes, eh ?

When I was a kid in the mid 1970s, I got my first detector. An all-metal TR . At one point, I got permission from an elderly Gentlemen to hunt the yard of a turn-of-century home. I recall getting a few wheaties, some clad, perhaps a single silver roosie, etc...

Then a few years later, about 1980, I was sporting the latest greatest VLF/TR. I wanted to pit it, for testing purposes, against a place where I could say my prior machine had already covered. So I knocked on the door of the same home. This time an elderly lady answered the door (presumably the elderly gentleman's wife) . She gave the go-ahead, and commented "No one's ever md'd it before". (I didn't bother correcting her). I got a few more wheaties, another silver , and perhaps a buffalo, etc...

Then about 1983-ish, I was sporting the latest greatest motion discriminator. And wanted to try it out in a place where I was fairly certain I'd worked hard. So I knocked on the door of the same house. This time a middle age lady answered the door. She explained that the house belonged to her parents, but that they'd gone to live in assisted living, so she was preparing the house for sale. But she didn't think her parents would mind, so she granted permission. The she quipped "... and no one's ever md'd this before" (I didn't bother correcting her). I got a few more old coins and a trade token.

Fast forward to the early 1990s, and I was sporting the latest great TID machine. Wanted to try it out in a place where I could be fairly certain was picked over. Went back to the same yard. A young couple answered the door. (presumably the people who bought it 10 yrs. prior). They gave the go-ahead. And commented "no one's ever md'd it before". Doh!

And so too do I see the same phenomenon at lots of places. Even long-time property owners sometimes simply have no idea. Eg.: perhaps a ranch-hand gave the go-ahead to their buddy . Perhaps a family member gave the go-ahead but simply didn't tell the husband or brother or sister or whatever. Perhaps someone ... uh ... "simply helped themselves". Perhaps it was detected before the current ownership. Many scenarios. Yet the person telling you 'no one's ever md'd it before' will be utterly certain that no one's md'd it. Simply because they haven't happened to have heard about it. And they just assume that if it HAD been hit, they'd have been told or heard.

Well stated Tom. Taking statements like that at face value are ridiculous.

Just as ridiculous as taking "oh, you shouldn't bother detecting there, it's been done." Some of my best finds are in places there were already done (even by me!).

Not only will you find stuff RIGHT BEHIND someone else, there's always new stuff being dropped.

That being said, it is definitely fun to come into an area that has only been lightly hit, or not hit well at all. Those can be gold mines. (literally).

I look at it like this, if I found the spot, someone else likely had as well. Back in the 70's/80's when detecting really became popular, lots of old places were still standing, making them easier targets.

Been there Done that. Both "never been detected" and "been detected a hundred times" .

LOL!!! Great post! I do a lot of research to locate never detected Cellar hole sites here in CT. I found a fantastic, deep, deep, deep in the woods area that in the 1700's was a town meeting spot and had a one room schoolhouse. There is no way to get to this spot without an arduous, uphill trek for about a mile. I get there and it looked like the last seige of the NVA in Vietnam! Craters everywhere and metal things just hanging from trees as far as you could see. So much for an undiscovered spot....

never detected..

Good story !! Love it --Ha Ha-some of best looking spots just don't produce--Possibly-- ancient Aliens beat me there !Tony AZ..:cool:

Well stated Tom. Taking statements like that at face value are ridiculous.

Just as ridiculous as taking "oh, you shouldn't bother detecting there, it's been done." Some of my best finds are in places there were already done (even by me!).

Not only will you find stuff RIGHT BEHIND someone else, there's always new stuff being dropped.

That being said, it is definitely fun to come into an area that has only been lightly hit, or not hit well at all. Those can be gold mines. (literally).

Funny you all mention this.... I was at my favorite old Los Angeles park the other day and as I'm digging alongside an old pathway, I guy walking by with his dog looks at me and says "you're doing this at the wrong park". And then a few weeks prior another passers by says to me "you ain't gonna find anything in this park". Man, I just snicker and say "yeah you're right but you never know, I might get lucky".

Little do they know that these old L.A. parks are over 100 years old and I dig my best and consistent finds here.

Let them say what they want.

Great story Tom!!

I pulled out my Fisher F2 and a guy pulls up in his mini van... he proceeds to tell me all about how he's detected this spot year after year, and proudly shows me his Minelab XTerra 705.

I was drooling over his detector, then thought that he probably got it all anyway, but what the heck I would still try out my fisher F2

That guy left and ANOTHER guy pulls in and proceeds to tell me he detects there after all of the events yearly.

He too had a minelab 705...

Well, to make a long story short, I ended up with .925 Silver Ring, a .925 Hoop Earring, a 950 Platinum Earring, an Angel Pendant, and a Hand Made Copper & Mystery Stone Pendant. I also found some clad. Surprisingly, I found 5 nickels

picture-124.jpg

Oh well, I tried with my little Fisher F2...:lol:

So that "its been detected before" statement is well, most times untrue, or at least "hunted out" is untrue

Had a guy the other day when asking permission tell me "you wouldnt find anything anyway"

HOW THE HECK does he know what MY SKILL level is? :laughing:

I wish ONE TIME those same property owners would say "go for it but you wont find anything" so I could show them the 100 targets still in their yards!

Yep, heard it before...unless the homeowner's been there for 40 or 50 years, take it with a grain of salt.

Then again, he's never heard of the term 'nighthawking' :lol:

...unless the homeowner's been there for 40 or 50 years, take it with a grain of salt....

Even when they've "been there 40 or 50 yrs.", still take it with a grain of salt.

I recall a time when our club got permission to hunt a picnic site that's only open to reservation usage (locked gates, fence, etc....). It's just for special events, and dates to the 1940s. But the county owed our club a favor (we had helped the Sheriff's find a murder weapon and solve a crime case). So we got to do a club outing at this place.

As the county employee (the caretaker with the keys) came on the appointed day to open the gates and let our group in, he commented that it had never been md'd before. Naturally I knew this wasn't the case. Because I knew of many persons who'd hit it (including myself). Because before and after each event (like during cleanup, maintenance, etc...) the gates are open (and it's quasi-public).

But this county worker said "never hit" because you see he'd been the facilities person in charge of the place for 20+ yrs. So he assumes that simply because he hasn't heard of it, nor seen anyone doing it, that : "It's never been hit". Also, humorously, he was a little peeved that we'd gotten permission to hunt it . Because he said he had a detector and had asked his superiors for permission . And they'd said "no". Huh ? What was to have stopped him from simply going ?? He had the keys after all. But see how he assumes that since he got a "no", that, therefore, it's likewise never been hit by anyone else either.

Nice story Tom. I love going back to the same sights over the years. Ground conditions, moisture, etc can change and also help reveal targets.

Hey Tom,
I love the story. The same thing happen often even to us sand diggers. I couldn't count how many times I have seen other people detecting the beach and say, "I've already been south, but I haven't been north." I thank them and continue south and usually find something they missed. Besides, south would be a few hundred miles. I figure he must have been tired by then.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom