Tips to clean Creek Gunk off old bottles

Greeneman215

I have a couple of old bottles I found in a grimy creek. I have soaked them in warm water with dawn, scrubbed them, and it all still won't come off. Anyone have ideas to help remove it? Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0017.jpg
    DSC_0017.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 4,165
bleach

I had limited success with a couple bottles. I filled a pail with water and added a cup of bleach. After a week I took a bottle brush to the inside and got quite a bit of the stuff out of them. Not all of it came out though. looks like them two were in the stream for a while. Maybe a longer soak would do the trick.
Good luck .. Gil

You might have success filling the bottle partially with aquarium gravel and tumbling it in a rubber drum. I don't see it breaking but the little pebbles would slowly knock away the gunk. I haven't tried this method. Someone correct me if I'm insane. You try sealing the bottle in something protective with the rocks in the bottle (old used basketball or something) and throw it in the next washing or drying cycle. That ought to get some of the crud out.

for cleaning the inside of my bottles i've always used hot water with some dishwashing soap and some shot gun shell BB's, with the hot soapy water i would shake the BB's inside the bottle which would do a very good job at cleaning, just don't do this on bottles with cracks or that are very thin.

Add one quarter of a cup of works toilet bowel cleaner. (Or enough to fill about a half inch of the bottom).

Add water until 1/3 full.

Add about a teaspoon of dish washing liquid.

Add aquarium gravel until about a half inch is filled.

Shake, shake, shake, and shake some more.

Fill the bottle full of water.

Let sit 15 minutes.

Drain out.

Rinse out.

If the inside is just dirty you can use soapy water with gravel. Let it sit about 5 mins before you shake, so the dirt is loose.

I use a small piece of Brillo pad at the end of a straightened heavy-duty coat hanger (not the flimsy white ones). Then run them thru the dishwasher, top rack. They are so clean you can drink out of them when they're done.

I also collect glass power insulators. The people in that hobby uses a lye and water mix. Lye is dangerous stuff and must be used with care but it works great. You just get a plastic container, mix water and lye, put in the bottles and let them soak till clean. It cleans the soot and grime from insulators that have spent decades near trains so it aught to clean bottles.
I think I bought the lye at grocery stores under the brand, Red Devil. If you look up, cleaning insulators with lye you can get the recommended mix.

Try CLR or vinegar, most of the time the buildup is calicum. Needs an acid to break it down....Curt:grin:

Back
Top Bottom