Electrolysis on old lock

agbkyle

Forum Supporter
Here's an old padlock I found last week.
mwlock1.jpg
Here it is after 3 days of electrolysis, a little more cleaning and painting.
mwlock2.jpg

What type of Electrolysis did you try? Did you use a cell phone wall charger? 6 volt battery? Something else?

That's pretty cool results.........see ya yardhunter

Nice results! Got any pictures of it before you painted it?

I have a before and after.

Edit: Oh I know what you mean. I didn't but should have took another photo before I painted it. Now I wish I did.

Last edited:
What type of Electrolysis did you try? Did you use a cell phone wall charger? 6 volt battery? Something else?

That's pretty cool results.........see ya yardhunter

6 volt battery charger. Picked it up cheap at Benny's.
I just used a small tupperware and water mixed with baking soda.
Had it run 12 hours a day for 3 days. Then did some scraping and sanding.
Then I just painted it with flat black spray paint.

Attachments

• electro.jpg
    electro.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 291
I guess it's different if you are using a battery charger. I use a cellphone wall wart, at it gets super hot just after 4 or 5 mins. Maybe I'll switch.

12 hours at a time..?? whoa! :shock::shock:

i don't think i've ever zapped anything for more than 30 minutes at a time! :lol: i've never overheated my set-up yet, but since i do mine indoors, i keep a pretty close eye on the temperature, even though i do have a cooling fan on it, lol.
the next time you do something, try replacing the baking soda with salt and see if you get better and faster results. personally i've never had much luck with the soda.
btw: that lock looks great! i've got one here i'll probably do sometime over the winter. (i'll post before/after pics when i get around to zapping it.) :D

Pete

6 volt battery charger. Picked it up cheap at Benny's.
I just used a small tupperware and water mixed with baking soda.
Had it run 12 hours a day for 3 days. Then did some scraping and sanding.
Then I just painted it with flat black spray paint.

Thanks........I've done things for an hour or so, but not that long.
Looks good my friend.

Thanks for sharing..............see ya yardhunter

12 hours at a time..?? whoa! :shock::shock:

i don't think i've ever zapped anything for more than 30 minutes at a time! :lol: i've never overheated my set-up yet, but since i do mine indoors, i keep a pretty close eye on the temperature, even though i do have a cooling fan on it, lol.
the next time you do something, try replacing the baking soda with salt and see if you get better and faster results. personally i've never had much luck with the soda.
btw: that lock looks great! i've got one here i'll probably do sometime over the winter. (i'll post before/after pics when i get around to zapping it.) :D

Pete

Thanks.
It was the first time I really did it on anything and this lock is big and had alot of crust. I did use baking soda the first 2 and 1/2 days and wasn't seeing much for results. Then I switched to salt and it was clean enough in no time so I agree, I'll not use the baking soda again but rather the salt.

Back
Top Bottom