Opinion needed on this LC

Spartan84

Explorer
Forum Supporter
I plan on keeping this LC and never selling it. I would like to clean it up some. It has as you can see that black colored crud on it. I have used hot peroxide on other copper coins and tokens with good results. I was just wondering if it will hurt this LC as I have never used this method on one. Or should I just leave it alone:lol: any advice is welcomed, thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2075.jpg
    IMG_2075.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_2076.jpg
    IMG_2076.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 277
Much as I hate to say it, that coin looks great and I think that if you cleaned it you may end up regretting it.

but that's my LC

I have never cleaned one but I remember seeing a post where someone used an SOS Pad and the results looked pretty good. I actually tried this method on a wheat this weekend that I couldn't read a date on and it worked well.

Much as I hate to say it, that coin looks great and I think that if you cleaned it you may end up regretting it.

but that's my LC

Well that is what I am afraid of. If I do it there might be pitting and such underneath. The more I sat here and thought about it, the more I think I just might leave it.

Well that is what I am afraid of. If I do it there might be pitting and such underneath. The more I sat here and thought about it, the more I think I just might leave it.

That's probably a good idea.

You MAY try Olive Oil for a while and then rub it with your thumb.

I would hp it/clean it. A coin is much less likely to be pitted when it's covered in grime not corrosion. I have cleaned MANY such coins and have never made one worse. That having been said, they weren't dug, but your coin is very similar for condition. Cleaning a find can be a calculated risk and some should be left alone, but to me with a coin like that the small risk is worth the benefit of a much nicer looking coin.

PS: I never heat the peroxide and don't really understand why anyone does.

Toothpick? Plastic point of some type?

Is the crud loose enough to physically scrape off with a toothpick or some other type of probe? The scaping object should be tough enough to scrape off the junk without actually damaging the coin surface - copper is really soft, so maybe test first.

...and for pitting...

I use brown shoe polish and rub it into the surface with a finger. Makes it real shiny and fills in really good.

Try catchup... it's supposed to remove corrosion off of copper. Leave it on for aobut an hour and knock off the corrosion in the creases with a toothpic. A word of warning... LC's generally don't clean up well.. Fact, they often times end up worse in the end. Yours looks like it is in pretty good shape still.

Back
Top Bottom