Cleaning Old Wheat Penny

kylawrence

OK I used the old vinegar and salt routine to clean this 1913 Wheat penny and it appears to have eaten it up pretty bad. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• wheat3.jpg
    wheat3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 738
  • wheat4.jpg
    wheat4.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 719
You have got the crud off of the penny, now is time perhaps to use some baking soda paste to rub it down. It looks pretty worn so it is not a high dollar coin. Just make a paste and rub with your fingers...if that does not do it then get a soft fine fiber brass brush and brush it...Brass is soft enough that it will not scratch the copper. KT has one that He used to use on his suede shoes for cleaning. Let us know how it does!

I found an Indian head penny and gave it to a friend of mine since it was in her yard where I found it. The date wasn't visible at all. I suggested some time honored safer ways to try and see the date. She called me up a few days later to tell me she got impatient and started experimenting with some bathroom cleaners. Well, one of the cleaners literally disolved the coin to almost nothing. Moral of the story: be careful using any ole cleaners. :(

Back
Top Bottom