Getting a Deus and need some advice...

PhilB

Elite Member
Getting a Deus the end of the week. Anybody got any tips or advice for a long time Etrac and Spectra user. I'd like to be fairly proficient with it by the time the crops are harvested and I can start hitting old home sites. That should be another month or 6 weeks.

My suggestion would be to load up the stock Basic 1 program and start swinging. The Deus has a sound all its own and takes some getting used to. Kind of like a new user of a E-Trac. The tones can be overwhelming if you try and load a hot program right off the bat. The Basic 1 program is a great solid program to start you getting used to the Deus sounds. In this mode the Deus can be used by anyone. Also don't think this is a slouch setup. The Basic 1 is a very good program as well. Just a lot more stable than running it hot.

I am a now on the third month with XP after eight years with a White's XLT.
Run basic 1, get familiar with the tones and ID. but remember this is a audio detector and ID on deeper targets should not be trusted. Often good targets will have a tone that sounds like someone is letting air out of a ballon by squeezing the opening (high pitch).
I also had to slow my swing down with the XP.
Good luck

I am a now on the third month with XP after eight years with a White's XLT.
Run basic 1, get familiar with the tones and ID. but remember this is a audio detector and ID on deeper targets should not be trusted. Often good targets will have a tone that sounds like someone is letting air out of a ballon by squeezing the opening (high pitch).
I also had to slow my swing down with the XP.
Good luck

Great advice! basic 1 is an excellent place to learn the detector!

I had a Deus and there were many things that I really liked about it.
The only thing that I really disliked was its inability to id at depth. I'm not just talking about the id numbers but also the audio. Everyone says to just use the tones but the tones follow the numbers.

I have had deep dimes 7 to 8 inches id as low as high 70s when they should be in the 80s. On the other side I have had 9" cooper pennies id in the mid to upper 90s.

I see people disc.out 96/97/. If you do you stand a chance of missing some good targets.

The Deus is hard to beat in trash on shallow targets but when they start getting deeper it can be a !!!! shoot at times.

TL

I had a Deus and there were many things that I really liked about it.
The only thing that I really disliked was its inability to id at depth. I'm not just talking about the id numbers but also the audio. Everyone says to just use the tones but the tones follow the numbers.

I have had deep dimes 7 to 8 inches id as low as high 70s when they should be in the 80s. On the other side I have had 9" cooper pennies id in the mid to upper 90s.

I see people disc.out 96/97/. If you do you stand a chance of missing some good targets.

The Deus is hard to beat in trash on shallow targets but when they start getting deeper it can be a !!!! shoot at times.

TL

Guess that is a good reason to have the Etrac and Spectra on hand. Thanks for the info. I'm getting the Deus for hunting iron infested home sites in farm fields. All I'm really concerned about is the Deus let me know ferrous from non-ferrous. I dig all non-ferrous targets at those sites. The Deus is really going to have to prove itself before it replaces my Spectra or especially the Etrac for hunting deep coins.

Guess that is a good reason to have the Etrac and Spectra on hand. Thanks for the info. I'm getting the Deus for hunting iron infested home sites in farm fields. All I'm really concerned about is the Deus let me know ferrous from non-ferrous. I dig all non-ferrous targets at those sites. The Deus is really going to have to prove itself before it replaces my Spectra or especially the Etrac for hunting deep coins.

Hope you like it. Just talked to a buddy of mine 30 minutes ago. He uses an explorer and CTX. Tried the Deus and he said it's not for him. I know not to use one beach hunting because another friend of mine about quit detecting over it. It's like a V3i. You either love it or hate it:lol:

I got a Deus and LOVE IT. Performs greatly. I get goodies at places other hunted out.....

Get Andy's book. take your time to learn what it tells you, MOSTLY learn what each setting does and you will rock it in your area......

Do not expect it to be like (insert brand here) and you will love it, it is deep, great separation, works wonders in trash and is light as a feather....

Jim

XP has many other attributes that make the hobby more enjoyable. I bought it for its light weight, you can swing all day. The wireless features are great and the ability to set up in different configurations (with control box, without, with audio module in pocket with ear buds, etc).
I recommend Bart if you are in the market for a new MD.
Good luck

Maybe because I'm in marketing but if XP were my company I wouldn't have used the word Basic in any program on a $1900 detector. Makes me not want to use it. Now GM Power, that sounds like some muscle!

XP has many other attributes that make the hobby more enjoyable. I bought it for its light weight, you can swing all day. The wireless features are great and the ability to set up in different configurations (with control box, without, with audio module in pocket with ear buds, etc).
I recommend Bart if you are in the market for a new MD.
Good luck

This! Plus the telescoping rods is awesome b/c you can break it down super fast and toss it in a backpack if you have to trek it to your spots. The 11" coil will give you the extra depth you need and is well worth picking up. The 9" coil is a beast in trashy areas. It's funny, I was swinging my at pro today and it felt so clunky and slow compared to the deus. The reactivity on the deus is pretty crazy, even in low settings. I hate to sound like one of those people who thinks their detector is the best in the world but damn, I love the deus. lol

Thanks everyone for the info. I got my Deus yesterday. Now it is just a matter of getting out.:lol: The Deus surely can't be any more complicated to program than my Spectra.:D

With over 8 years experience with the XP Goldmaxx Power I still used Basic 1 for the first month with the replacement machine. (Deus)

Setting the number of tones (2) and assigning a tonal value to those 2 tones was my first move away from Basic 1 after 1 month, my next step was to set a discrimination value, I went down to 2.5 but settled on 3.

Just on a point of interest, I do not use any visual reference, everything is dug on sounds only.

Good luck with your machine.

With over 8 years experience with the XP Goldmaxx Power I still used Basic 1 for the first month with the replacement machine. (Deus)

Setting the number of tones (2) and assigning a tonal value to those 2 tones was my first move away from Basic 1 after 1 month, my next step was to set a discrimination value, I went down to 2.5 but settled on 3.

Just on a point of interest, I do not use any visual reference, everything is dug on sounds only.

Great post and advice!

Thanks everyone for the info. I got my Deus yesterday. Now it is just a matter of getting out.:lol: The Deus surely can't be any more complicated to program than my Spectra.:D

Keep posted how you like it against the V3. If we had better inland hunting I'd have kept my V3i. Wasn't willing to ruin it beach hunting. Just make sure you don't drop the main part of the deus in a creek and lose it like another poster did.

id love a xp goldmaxx as well to compliment my Deus

id love a xp goldmaxx as well to compliment my Deus

I have not found any significantly rise in quantity or quality of my finds going from the Goldmaxx Power to the Deus. (both using the 11" coil)

The obvious advantage is the weight saving, more settings on the various controls and the ability to have a choice of 4 frequencies.

The dis-advantages are making sure everything is charged before you go out.

Having to frequency shift if my Garrett P/P interferes with my machine.

The interference with overhead power lines on the lower frequencies.

I have the V3i and Etrac. For relic hunting in old homesteads filled with iron they cannot compete.

I've had my Deus for a week and feel competent with it now. I run deus fast auto GB, 95 send, reactivity 4 and I'm finding targets my whites and etrac didn't hit. Plus it hits my 10" buried quarter in my yard with the 9" coil in s juiced up relic mode.

Its a fast machine in the iron. I love it and am amazed how much stuff is coming out of areas I've pounded. Get Andy's book.

I have the V3i and Etrac. For relic hunting in old homesteads filled with iron they cannot compete.

I've had my Deus for a week and feel competent with it now. I run deus fast auto GB, 95 send, reactivity 4 and I'm finding targets my whites and etrac didn't hit. Plus it hits my 10" buried quarter in my yard with the 9" coil in s juiced up relic mode.

Its a fast machine in the iron. I love it and am amazed how much stuff is coming out of areas I've pounded. Get Andy's book.

Thanks Arnie, I got the Deus specifically for hunting in iron laden home sites. I'm not getting rid of my Etrac or Spectra just yet though.:lol: I need some more time with my Deus before I'm ready for that.

Back
Top Bottom