not discriminating !

tone541

hi, I have a new whites coinmaster pro. for some reason I'm digging up junk
even in the discriminating mode canceling out the pull tabs, bottle caps , tin
foil ,etc. my sensitivity is usually set high or one notch below. I use my coin
detector on an old school ground. I'm also digging up coins cents thru quarters. but the ratio of junk to coins is about 3 to 1. am I doing something wrong ?:shrug:

hi, I have a new whites coinmaster pro. for some reason I'm digging up junk
even in the discriminating mode canceling out the pull tabs, bottle caps , tin
foil ,etc. my sensitivity is usually set high or one notch below. I use my coin
detector on an old school ground. I'm also digging up coins cents thru quarters. but the ratio of junk to coins is about 3 to 1. am I doing something wrong ?:shrug:

I don't have a White's, but can say with some certainty that you're probably not doing anything wrong. I'm assuming you're new to detecting? Discrimination on most machines is a theoretical issue. Unfortunately, not all junk in the ground will give off a perfect "junk" signal. There are a lot of factors that can make a junk target false in the range of a good target. Although it's impossible to completely notch out all junk when only targeting a certain range, there are usually audio indications that will help the user discern junk from good targets (i.e. target edge artifact, repeatability of signal on a 90 degree swing, etc.). Recognizing these sometimes subtle hints can take practice and a trained ear though, so don't be discouraged if it takes a while to learn your machine's idiosyncrasies. However, the only way to know you're not missing any of the good stuff is to keep digging any "maybe" signal and take the junk with treasure. Hope that's on par. Otherwise, maybe someone else has a suggestion. Good luck. :yes:

BentRod is right on. Well stated.

My Compadre will ring up heavily rusted items (nails, washers, bottle caps) and I've had it less than a year, those signals may not be ideal however, but also however some good targets generate less than ideal signals as well. Have to spend time on your machine, try and learn the subtleties and have fun and take the trash with the treasure!

discriminating ?

thanks for the info, yes I'm new with coin detecting and new on this forum. there's a tone
id feature on my detector, haven't used it yet. but i'll keep plugin.

Last edited:
I don't have a White's, but can say with some certainty that you're probably not doing anything wrong. I'm assuming you're new to detecting? Discrimination on most machines is a theoretical issue. Unfortunately, not all junk in the ground will give off a perfect "junk" signal. There are a lot of factors that can make a junk target false in the range of a good target. Although it's impossible to completely notch out all junk when only targeting a certain range, there are usually audio indications that will help the user discern junk from good targets (i.e. target edge artifact, repeatability of signal on a 90 degree swing, etc.). Recognizing these sometimes subtle hints can take practice and a trained ear though, so don't be discouraged if it takes a while to learn your machine's idiosyncrasies. However, the only way to know you're not missing any of the good stuff is to keep digging any "maybe" signal and take the junk with treasure. Hope that's on par. Otherwise, maybe someone else has a suggestion. Good luck. :yes:

thanks.

Recognizing these sometimes subtle hints can take practice and a trained ear though, so don't be discouraged if it takes a while to learn your machine's idiosyncrasies. However, the only way to know you're not missing any of the good stuff is to keep digging any "maybe" signal and take the junk with treasure.

Here is the meat and potatoes! GREAT post!

we all dig junk targets. if I want perfect signals I can cut down on junk targets but some are mixed in with trash and that's when I dig junk or I am looking for stuff besides coins. Part of the game ... 3-1 actually isn't a bad ratio especially for a newbie

If you are new you are probably doing two things wrong. The first one is your tones. Listen for a repeatable tone. Lay a coin out and run over it. That is your tone. It repeats and sounds the same every time you run over it. A nice solid tone. If you are using tone ID the pitch will change but the tones will repeat. You are digging signals that are broken or do not repeat. Turn 90 degrees on the target and it should still repeat. Now the 90 degree rule works about 95
% of the time. Some targets close to trash or iron may not repeat at 90 degrees, but they need to repeat when you find them.

The second thing you are doing is very easy to correct. Stop watching the darn meter. Detecting is done with the ears. Look at the meter only after you have a repeatable tone.

Enjoy.

I think the metal detector noise is pretty disturbing and in public places especially when other people can be looking, I don't use headphones anyway so I usually make it sound less and keep looking at the display, if I am not hitting something in a long time I put the volume up just to make sure I don't get overly tired and miss a signal when I am looking away, what I think ahah, I wonder if you could make the metal detector sounds to music ? Like when you find ''silver'' or aluminium it is Ode to Joy, if you find nails it is The entertainer, haha just ideas.

There is not so much junk where I live but there is not so many coins, jewelry aswell so I usually hunt in all metal and never with discrimination.

I have found it easier to run my machines wide open, no discrimination at all and learn to listen for good signals.

Not everybodies brain/ears work the same but for me I can let the common garbage tones just flow right through my head and still come to full alert when the signal is anything uncommon.

Try it, the abbreviated and cut off tones that come from notching certain metals out caused more frustration for me than just hearing it all. Good Hunting! :grin:

My best advice is see the manual and look for a factory reset, this usually will fix things. I hope that model has such an option; perhaps the coil is on the fritz?

Back
Top Bottom