F2 VDI numbers

Dig-on

Forum Supporter
Out of boredome last night I decided to run some tests with some coins. These are air tests using the 4" coil. I am aware that in the ground the numbers will vary. I found a few patterns that are interesting.

zinc penny - 61-62
copper penny- 71-73
wheat penny - 67 for years prior to 43 due to the tin and zinc used with copper
wheat penny - 70-71 for years after 43 until 58 these have just zinc and copper
clad dime - 71
silver dime - 74
silver quarter - 82-83
nickel - 33-34
War nickel - 34-35
The wheat pennies were all dug coins with varying degrees of wear and patina.
The war nickels were 4 dug coins 1943,1944,1945,1945
The silver dimes were 4 dug coins 1946,1947,1950,1959

All of this info is just food for thought. I of course will be digging all repeatable signals anyway. I will be referencing these numbers in the field when the ground thaws, but just out of curiosity.
HH

Thanks for the effort.

I have found in my soil, zinc pennies are usually 61, but several have come in as low as 54, clad dimes are sometimes 71, but usually have been 73.
Nickels have been weird, also.
In Alabama soil, 33 was the number 9 out of 10 times.
Here, they are coming in from 29 to 34.
Quarters have always been 80-82 in the past, now I see 83's come up and a few were as low as 78.
Never saw an 83 once in Alabama, except indoors on air testing on silver quarters.
Every one of those was an 83.

The ground has been very moist here for the last few weeks so that might have something to do with it, but I think different soils really do have different readings because others have posted even different numbers in other parts of the country.

Keep in mind this was with the 4" coil. I will be doing a test with the 8" using the exact same coins.
Those early wheats were a solid 67 every time. I could not get them to change to a different number.
I also tried a dollar bill, no matter how I held that darn thing I could not get it to give anything but a high tone ?!?! :laughing:
yes.....bored.....winter....frozen ground

That is very informative Bucksport, thanks. I gotta try that one day. I havent taken my new F2 out nearly as much as i would have liked to. I can't wait for winter to be over!

I am hopeful that some of the new F2 users will find these numbers helpful. Every little bit of info helps :)

Thanks for the info it does help knowing the numbers and what might be buried. I have only had my F2 for a couple of weeks and only been out in my back yard a few times due to weather. SNOW LOL :cold::cold::cold:

Fisher F2 from South Texas

Hey Bucksport,

I live in South Texas where the ground is hard and we hardly get snow even if we prayed for it. About 60 miles from Laredo town name Freer and I was checking your numbers out and I almost have similar numbers. My test was old alum=74,the pull tabs at 38-40 (90% of time) war nickles=34, wheat cent=67, reg dime=73-74, Quarters=85-86, and I have found 6 mercury's with the F2 and all of them down here beep at 76. Most of these numbers I have done on air test because I have the coins and most of my good dig fines came out a digit off here and there. Just took notes out on the field.Other than that I have studied that it is right most of the time, depends how the coin is laying underground. I spend less time on my 55 year old knees!! Enjoyed your post's

Six Mercs with your F2 is awesome.:shock: I'v got half that with three. Your numbers are very close to what my F2 registers here in Kansas.

Found my first 3 coins with my F2 today =)

1 clad nickel - 33
2 clad dimes - both 71

Found 8 more coins - all pennies lol

3 Wheaties - all 70-71

4 Mems (59, 61, 61, 61) - all 71-73

1 zincoln - all over the place .... I don't even know why I dug that signal lol

Thanks Busksport, those are good to have. Here are some air test results I got last year with a 10" coil. I did these in the house and was a bit concerned about interference from the house wiring, so take them with a grain of salt. Sometime this coming year I will try to repeat the test outside.

picture.php

Looks like a broader range with the 10" coil. I did my test inside too. The thing to remember is that I was holding the coins perfectly flat. In the real world a slight angle would give the numbers a little flex. I finally got a chance to scan my front yard with the F2 and my Delta 4000. I found a few penny signals and checked with both machines. Very close numbers on them both. I was only able to retrieve 2 of the 8 solid signals due to the frozen ground :(

Looks like a broader range with the 10" coil. I did my test inside too. The thing to remember is that I was holding the coins perfectly flat. In the real world a slight angle would give the numbers a little flex. I finally got a chance to scan my front yard with the F2 and my Delta 4000. I found a few penny signals and checked with both machines. Very close numbers on them both. I was only able to retrieve 2 of the 8 solid signals due to the frozen ground :(

Yes, and I suspect that is true in actual use as well but, as I mentioned, this test was performed indoors and I do think the house wiring might have caused a few issues.

Thanks for posting the numbers. They are very similar to what I get with the Bounty Hunter 3300. It always helps to have comparison numbers from various machines.:yes:

Here is an interesting anomaly. I dug my first V nickel this morning.

65 every single time when it was underground. Haven't tested it in the air, but it was weird to say the least.

sounds like you have a prime spot. I didn't have one of those to test :( Maybe if everyone sent me some sample coins to check I could do a full and proper study ;)

I'm not sure if this will always be the case, but the CW era lead bullets I've been finding have all been 57-59

Thanks for the effort.

I have found in my soil, zinc pennies are usually 61, but several have come in as low as 54, clad dimes are sometimes 71, but usually have been 73.
Nickels have been weird, also.
In Alabama soil, 33 was the number 9 out of 10 times.
Here, they are coming in from 29 to 34.
Quarters have always been 80-82 in the past, now I see 83's come up and a few were as low as 78.
Never saw an 83 once in Alabama, except indoors on air testing on silver quarters.
Every one of those was an 83.

The ground has been very moist here for the last few weeks so that might have something to do with it, but I think different soils really do have different readings because others have posted even different numbers in other parts of the country.

I agree with the nickels. Usually for me they are 29-33 with pull tabs showing up from 32-36. If its a 35, 10/10 its a pulltab.

Pennies are all over the place with one being found at a 51.

Back
Top Bottom