Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Owl Engineering
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Help To ID My Finds

Old 01-13-2022, 07:21 PM
Supporter

Default vintage car window crank

Found these today in the front yard old home site.

one is a vintage auto window crank. the long part of the crank is non-ferrous and the roller tip is ferrous since it sticks to the magnet. but the long part does not.

Thinking it is a window crank from before WWII or when plastics became more used in parts. It fits on a 1/4" shaft.

the round hollow thing is made of thin brass or copper. has a green patina inside.

the other is a boyscout scarf slide.

So if you can help me ID the window crank I will buy the rest of the vintage auto and restore it.
Attached Images

CTX3030, Nox 800 (sold), Steves CF shaft, 6" nox coil, Coiltek 10 x 5" Nox coil, Vanquish 440. Civil War research and relic hunting and coin hunting. Lake beach hunting, short wave listening (sold radio to pay for new CTX3030). US Army veteran. shout out to all veterans and patriots!

Old 01-13-2022, 09:20 PM
Elite Member

Iíve seen many of these. For the life of me I canít remember what make of car they came from, but they were also used in aircraft of the 30s 40s and 50s. Piper, Taylorcraft, Stinson, Aeronca, etc. they all used them as elevator trim cranks. I know this because my father and I restored vintage aircraft before he passed away.

Matthew 6:21

Old 01-14-2022, 12:06 AM

The domelike object looks like a wheel bearing cap.

Old 01-14-2022, 12:13 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by partyofone View post
Iíve seen many of these. For the life of me I canít remember what make of car they came from, but they were also used in aircraft of the 30s 40s and 50s. Piper, Taylorcraft, Stinson, Aeronca, etc. they all used them as elevator trim cranks. I know this because my father and I restored vintage aircraft before he passed away.
Those were the days. I owned a C177 when I was younger and my room mate was and A&P. I used to help him. I unscrewed all the inspection plates, he pulled the inspection and I button them up. I think he paid me $25 for my services. But more important than the money was that I learned a quite a few things from him. He always told me the worst time to fly a small airplane just after a mechanic has worked on it.

I always dreamed of buying a Piper Cub and take a flying vacation out west with some camping gear. You can set those babies down anywhere.

I actually saw one flying backwards over the small field. There was a strong westerly wind and he slowed the sucker down and was actually moving backwards a little.

CTX3030, Nox 800 (sold), Steves CF shaft, 6" nox coil, Coiltek 10 x 5" Nox coil, Vanquish 440. Civil War research and relic hunting and coin hunting. Lake beach hunting, short wave listening (sold radio to pay for new CTX3030). US Army veteran. shout out to all veterans and patriots!

Old 01-14-2022, 10:00 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by maxxkatt View post
if you can help me ID the window crank I will buy the rest of the vintage auto and restore it.

Clearly that came out of a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO. Very distinctive and unmistakable. Here's one selling at auction:
https://youtu.be/Y3dJInRflLY

Good luck with your project!

Last edited by Foragist; 01-15-2022 at 12:38 AM.

Tags
auto, vintage, window crank