Should I bury my silver hoard? $2200 worth

Bonesquat

Elite Member
I've got a ton of silver and don't like that it's sitting inside my room totally exposed. I live out in the country and have been toying with the idea of just burying it somewhere where I could retrieve it later. What are your thoughts on this? Do any of you bury your gold or silver?

I figure if I bury it I'll forget about it and then come back later when I think about it and make ten times or more than what I paid for it.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. :)

I know several people that do this. Perhaps a bit paranoid, but maybe I don't blame them. They do it with other things besides silver and gold.. . . nevertheless, just make sure you don't have and random MDers in your area that may trespass on your property and find your goods.

sounds like a great idea:yes:..........by the way do ya mind if i detect your yard :lol:

your best bet is a safety deposit box at the bank, that way the only thing ya gotta worry about not losing is the key.

I knew a woman (she since passed away) who

buried her husband in their back yard (he'd been cremated) and eventually lost track of where she left him. She didn't want to dig up the whole yard and she was afraid to sell the house thinking someday they would find him and think she done him in!

Well, just don't bury your silver or anything else without thinking it through.
:lol:

Bury it

If you bury the silver in your backyard leave a map on where its at on your bedroom dresser so you dont forget where its at.:?::lol::no:

Back in the day we use to hide it under the dog house,but know one has one any more.

Invest in a safe for your home.I have a four foot high safe that weighs a ton.Its Waterproof Fire Safe w/ Electronic Lock .I have all my silver bullion in it and gold.Cost me around $400 back in 98 but remember its really big.You may need a smaller one.

I would invest in two small fire safes. Put some cash and imprtant papers and junk jewelry etc. in one and keep it in the closet. The other put the good stuff in and hide it good, behind a false wall or under bottom cabinet drawer and bolt it to the floor.
If someone breaks in or puts a gun to your head they get the one in the closet. Tell only one person you trust where the good stuff is or leave the location in a sealed envelope with your will.

Oooooh, good idea !

I've been thinking about a safe too ! Getting two is pretty clever. I also like the safe deposit box idea. You don't get a key to a safe deposit do you ? I thought you just went to the bank and they verify who you are and lead you in. :?:
Marty

If you get a safe of any kind--fire safe or otherwise--be certain to bolt it down to the slab or the floor. Otherwise it is NOT secure...regardless of how large & heavy it is. You'd be amazed at how easy it is to move heavy stuff with carpet sliders and some straps, or a furniture dolly...

The best way to bury it would be to buy some PCV pipe add the silver and throe in a dessicant pack and cap both ends.... Then bury it in my back yard!:lol:

I'd be more inclined to say a safe at home rather than a safe deposit box. Yes, I know the vault at a bank is safer overall. But (and feel free to call me a pessimist here), what happens if you can't get to the bank, or into the vault to get to your box? Things would have to be pretty fubar for that to be the case, but then, that's probably when you'd need it most. just my 2 cents.

I've been thinking about a safe too ! Getting two is pretty clever. I also like the safe deposit box idea. You don't get a key to a safe deposit do you ? I thought you just went to the bank and they verify who you are and lead you in. :?:
Marty

the safety deposit box takes 2 keys to open, you get one key and the bank has the other. if you lose your key the bank will charge you over 100 bucks to have a lock smith change out the lock

Didnt the u s government freeze all bank accounts and take all there gold and silver before..

Executive Order 6102 is an Executive Order signed on April 5, 1933 by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt "forbidding the Hoarding of Gold Coin, Gold Bullion, and Gold Certificates." It required all persons to deliver on or before May 1, 1933 all gold coin, gold bullion, and gold certificates owned by them to the Federal Reserve. Under the Trading With the Enemy Act of October 6, 1917, as amended on March 9, 1933, violation of Executive Order 6102 was punishable by fine up to $10,000 ($166,640 if adjusted for inflation as of 2008) or up to ten years in prison, or both. Because of this forced immediate sale of gold to the Federal Reserve at the government set price of $20.67 per troy ounce, this Executive Order is often referred to as the Gold Confiscation of 1933. ****Shortly after this forced sale, the price of gold from the treasury for international transactions was raised to $35 an ounce. Not saying they would do this now but you never know.. I don't trust banks at all..

Back
Top Bottom