• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

panning for gold

1/27 Inf. Wolfhound

I've always wanted to try to pan for gold in a river and I may be going out west for a new job soon. I was wondering if anyone has some good tips for a guy who has never done this before.

On a metal detecting note I went yesterday and found a heart that I think is made of copper at the top of the heart is what looks like a copper pearl with trim around it. The whole thing is cast from the same material and is quite cool looking I'll get a picture on here soon of it.

Kellyco has some great stuff on their site. I was daydreaming on that also. They even have more sophisticated stuff along with standard pans, etc. I kind of want to incorporate it with metal detecting :) I'v also been doing a lot of research on meteorites..... I think the best thing for me to do is get out of this chair!.. Just getting out there and trying is probably the best start. Good luck ;)

I love it. gold prospecting is my second favorite hobby to metal detecting.

i got i good tip that i didn't know about from lowjiber, the mxt and the gmt can both track the percentage of black sand in a stream. once you find the highest percentage you just set up your sluice/dredge/highbanker or whatever and dig there.
i can't wait to try it out im going to try to rent a mxt sometime soon.

I pan for gold all the time. It's fun and not as hard as the "old timers" tell you.

Find "Black Sand" and you're on the track to gold.

We also want to incorporate the two here in Montana. A guy I work with during the summer told me that he does both and would show us the ropes!

gold for it.

I lived in Maine for Five years and try it a few time. I found it hard hand work, yes hand work. Go to the clay,thats were the gold will rest!!!! Live once and die trying:wow::wow::wow::wow::D

lots of good info

Thanks for all the info I did not know that about the blacksand that is interesting. I may be moving to Washington State or possibly northeren Oregon. I was actually looking at some pan's last night at the Sportsmens Warehouse in Lexington KY. I can not wait to try this out I think about it all the time.

sunder62...

I too have a great interest in meteorites. Over the last 5 years I've seen a few fireballs drop from the sky. Nowhere near me but still very cool and they were fragmenting.
Have you found some good sites online ? Maybe a meteor report website ? I think any meteorite would be a boss find. Have you looked at the Earth Impact Database site ?
Marty

Gold panning takes patience. Once you locate a gold bearing stream, there are several signs to look for - black sand of course, sharp bends are good, check the inner side of the bend, rocky streams are nice and have the potential of a 'glory hole' (lots of gold in a single depression). Takes a little practice, but once you see REAL gold in the pan, you never forget it. RickO

Kentucky

I have no idea but would there be any gold in the rivers or creeks of Kentucky. I've never heard of anyone finding any here.

Check out the 'GPAA','gold prospectors association of America' .
There is two brothers who have gold shows on one of the outdoors channels.Interesting shows,they have been on a long time.
I think you have to join,but they offer a book with all the claims they cover around the US.

Back
Top Bottom