• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Short beach hunt

FoiledAgain

Elite Member
It's been a busy time and the weather is freezing cold, but I've been itching to get back to the beach so I made a detour for a short hunt on the way home from work. During the first half hour I found only some scraps of trash and a dime, but it was good to get out and get some (very) fresh salt air. The sun set and it getting dark so I headed back to the car over a big exposed sand bar. I ended up following a little trough in the bar that had some scattered pebbles and cobbles, figuring there might be a heavy or two in it. Hit only one target, which turned out to be the first intact class ring that I've found. It's a dainty and pretty little thing with a synthetic amethyst and a CZ on each side. It's also a featherweight, which is probably why it was high in the sand bar. No precious metal, just some undefinable, rhodium plated 'lustrium' or some such thing. But I looked it up at the Josten website and it looks like it sold for at least $380, so it must be precious to the owner. The good news is that I can identify the school, the graduation year, and the owner's initials, so there's a good chance I'll be able to find the person who lost it and make a return. If I'm successful I'll post an update.

Attachments

• IMG_2421.JPG
    IMG_2421.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_2423.JPG
    IMG_2423.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 504
Yeah valuable to the kid that lost it and worthless to us. Good luck on the return.

Nice find! Its always fun seeing something sparkly come out of the ground. Good luck on the search for the owner.

Good luck finding the owner. I still have a couple of those from middle schools i never found the owners. I know one middle school had a name the same in several states.:shock:

You need to dig more hole to stay warm.:lol: Great find if it can be returned for sure. Can really bring a smile on a kids face who appreciates it.

Thats a great find. Congrats on the class ring. I think it looks really sweet too and I have no doubt you may bring some holiday happiness to the owner if you find them. Good luck.

Thanks all. I found the identical ring on the Jostens website and contacted the school with what I believed to be the owner's initials (SEW), but they don't seem to have a match. So I'm thinking that "SEW' may be something other than the owner's initials, perhaps a reference to the metal composition or ring design. The design appears to be 'Silver Elite' which could account for the 'SE' but I don't know what the 'W' would be. I'll have to track this down, with the company if necessary. Another possibility is that the mark of a 'J' inside a diamond is not a Jostens mark and that the ring is made by another company, although it seems unlikely that another company would have a ring design identical to Jostens. I love a good mystery, and it would be fun to solve this one. The saga continues.....

Attachments

• RingMark.JPG
    RingMark.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 320
Thanks all. I found the identical ring on the Jostens website and contacted the school with what I believed to be the owner's initials (SEW), but they don't seem to have a match. So I'm thinking that "SEW' may be something other than the owner's initials, perhaps a reference to the metal composition or ring design. The design appears to be 'Silver Elite' which could account for the 'SE' but I don't know what the 'W' would be. I'll have to track this down, with the company if necessary. Another possibility is that the mark of a 'J' inside a diamond is not a Jostens mark and that the ring is made by another company, although it seems unlikely that another company would have a ring design identical to Jostens. I love a good mystery, and it would be fun to solve this one. The saga continues.....

That looks like its stamped by the maker and not initials for an individual. There's a thread out there that references SEW..."SEW is patented Silver Elite precious metal created by Jostens. Unlike regular silver which turns black after a while, SEW does not do so. Turning black is the major factors most ring companies never could produce cheaper silver rings as opposed to gold rings."
Plus any initials I have seen would have been engraved in by some kind of tool and is clearly different. Sometimes it is really faint in a in one case I almost missed the initials of a ring I found. Good luck though, hope you find the owner.

Contact the school and ask them if they can give you the contact information for their Josten's vendor. Then contact the vendor and give them the pertinent details of the ring. What's on the panels, graduation year and size. They'll be able to match it up to the 1 person that lost it. They will probably have the contact information for the student that lost it and then you can have them tell the student to contact you if they don't want to share the info. If they don't have the contact info., once you get the name you can go back to the school and have them locate the student for you.

That still is a great find I think, and a possible return would make it better. Good Luck and stay warm!

A very nice class ring. Looks like a girls. The junk they make them from these days is crazy. To us, it is worthless. I have found many and returned many. No matter how much junk they are made from, it is that reward you get when you find the owner. Most of the time for me, it is the hugs and a new place to hunt. Sure makes you feel real good inside of you, even if they are junk. Good luck and make someone happy. KEN. :D

Back
Top Bottom