2018 Ed: COIL OPTIONS/COSTS/OUTLETS FOR MINELAB EXCALIBUR

Swinglow

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
I've searched through all kinds of threads on this forum and cannot for the life of me, find one comprehensive thread dedicated to what our coil options are as Excal owners.

You have a Excalibur that you hunt mixed conditions (dry/wet/up to chest deep water) and you need to replace the coil. What are your options and where can you buy them? What other Minelab coils would work?

If you have experience with using different coils on the excalibur, please post the brand, the size, price, where to buy and conditions you hunt in. Sponsors, feel free to chime in if you have any.

So far the only coil aside from the stock 10" BBS that i've swapped on an excal was a Tornado 8" which i've been using for a little over a year. I bought it "like new" from another forum member for $120 I believe. I don't know where to buy this coil right now if I wanted another. I found myself in this situation after ignorantly selling my 10" BBS closet queen because "i'll never need it" :mad:

I will update this post to try and consolidate the info into an easily searchable format.

I just swapped my 10 inch stock coil for a 8 inch sovereign bbs coil, same coil that was offered on the excal as an option. I looked all around for the 10 inch coil but could not find one. I ended up buying the 8 inch on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Minelab-Torn...184210&sr=8-1&keywords=minelab+sovereign+coil

As you can see they are NOT cheap, but the install went pretty quick, i did the OBN method and opened up the pods and soldered it to the board.
I imagine finding these coils will be VERY difficult soon as they don't typically sell the excal coils separately and the sov gt is no longer in production...

Any BBS coil will work on your Excal. What are you trying to do? Just replace the coil with stock? Trashy area? Dry sand? Water? Are you thinking of hard wire or a waterproof connector to allow you to change coils?

On my Excals, I've used Minelab's BBS 10" and Tornado 10". On my Sovereigns I've also used the Tornado 10", Tornado 8", Coiltek 15" WOT, and 15" CORS Fire on the beach. I've also used the Detech 5" Excelerator S in trashy parks.

R5

I used to worry about coils too

But not anymore

SEF 12 x 15
SEF 10 x 12
Sunray 12"
Excal 2 10"
Excal 800 8"
Excal Sword horseshoes 8"
WOT 15"

Attachments

• IMG_1417.JPG
    IMG_1417.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 289
But not anymore

SEF 12 x 15
SEF 10 x 12
Sunray 12"
Excal 2 10"
Excal 800 8"
Excal Sword horseshoes 8"
WOT 15"

DUDE! The first step in resolving your addiction is to admit you have a problem. :laughing:

R5

DUDE! The first step in resolving your addiction is to admit you have a problem. :laughing:

R5

Who wants to resolve the addiction. I quite enjoy the addiction. Only addiction that I am aware of that will repay the cost of equipment.

Who wants to resolve the addiction. I quite enjoy the addiction. Only addiction that I am aware of that will repay the cost of equipment.

Okay... okay... I've got a couple Sov GTs, an Excal, a CTX, and a Garrett Ace 350, but eight... EIGHT... Excals? :crazy: Nothing against RC13. Nice collection of Excals there, and I don't see an Excal II among them. He certainly has solved HIS coil issues! Can you imaging the :gettinmoney: behind that collection?

R5

I just emailed Minelab this past week and was quoted $282 for a new 10" BBS coil and $75 labor to replace. I also emailed Ralph at Sunray about a S-12 coil and was told they've been long discontinued. Looking to replace my thick BBS coil on my blue 1000 because of deteriorating cable sheathing, coil itself is in good shape.

The coil sheath is the weak point on minelab coils across the board, i have a coil on my x terra that is so cracked it is ridiculous. I have it wrapped pretty much top to bottom with elec tape to keep it together.

Okay... okay... I've got a couple Sov GTs, an Excal, a CTX, and a Garrett Ace 350, but eight... EIGHT... Excals? :crazy: Nothing against RC13. Nice collection of Excals there, and I don't see an Excal II among them. He certainly has solved HIS coil issues! Can you imaging the :gettinmoney: behind that collection?

R5

The box in the picture contains a brand new EXCAL 2 that I won in a raffle at the Treasure Hunter's picnic. I had the box autographed by the Capitana salvage crew. It's never been out of the box.

I guess you would call that my backup?

I picked these up when buddies went running to get a CTX. Remember then?

Soooooooo what ya going to do with all of them when the EQ hits the street....... going to say Xcal ... remember them?:lol:

Any BBS coil works on them. Kenny..... like Joe, i guess im glad i bought a few Sov coils when they were available at a reasonable cost.

Ive recently pulled my 10 inch coil off my sov gt and hardwired it to my excal 1000..it turned into a 3 day grind mostly due to my inexperience and a few other issues .. only got to try in backyard due frozen ground and whatnot.. i also purchased a Nel thunder coil which will eventually get some time on the excal but i really cant comment as to performance as i was trying it out on sov gt 1st when this siberian weather set in... eventually i will install the ip68 waterproof terminal on the coil wire to allow coil swapping at my discretion. .. some people have replaced the coil wires on old coils too ,i imagine it would take a little soldering and a fair amount of epoxy. ..

Alot of different coils will work on the excal, I have a 13 ultimate DD on my sov that i could have used, but i know it gets very unstable actually in the water. For hunting IN THE WATER there are few that have proven to work well, that's why i went with the 8 inch.

The box in the picture contains a brand new EXCAL 2 that I won in a raffle at the Treasure Hunter's picnic. I had the box autographed by the Capitana salvage crew. It's never been out of the box.

I guess you would call that my backup?

I picked these up when buddies went running to get a CTX. Remember then?

It's a beautiful collection. I'm actually quite envious. I had two Blues, one with the PP mod, but sold one when I bought the CTX six months ago. I've used the PP Blue a few times since, but the GTs have sat stagnant. How do you keep your batteries fresh?

So... RC13, don't hold out on us. What other mechines do you have?

R5

Let me look around a second

White's TDI, couple of coils
White's MX5, couple of coils

3 Detector Pro Pulse's HHPI's 11" coils, extra 8" coil

Aqua Pulse Mag 44" rod

Aqua Sport Pulse 8" coil, wall hanger used by Mel Fisher crew.

I just hunt beaches. Thank God.

The coil sheath is the weak point on minelab coils across the board, i have a coil on my x terra that is so cracked it is ridiculous. I have it wrapped pretty much top to bottom with elec tape to keep it together.
After hunt give excal hot shower, hot water since off the salt residue much better than cold water does just like we rinse dishes in hot water. Spray cables with vegetable based silicone spray (I use McNitt) ever few weeks, silicone is a natural UV inhibitor.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I always shower off my excal after use, but the fact even my xterra 705 (which NEVER sees salt) coil wires housing is falling to bits makes me think they might have had a quality problem.

Back
Top Bottom