Rotating vs. vibrating tumbler

njemt

I'm looking to get a tumbler since HF has them at 50% off until Monday. So rotary tumbler or vibrating tumbler and why??? Also views on cleaning materials for a tumbler. Ok.....go!!!

I went with the rotating dual drum, when I not cleaning clad I'm shrinking rocks... :laughing:
I love this hobby, just leads to more & more interesting stuff...:thumbsup:

WELL, I'm not sure how the vibrating one works. I bought the single drum rotating tumbler from HF.

I use aquarium gravel, which has to be changed occasionally when the gravel becomes rounded. The points/edges do the cleaning.

I have seen on the site that Granite gravel works better, but I have yet to find any. And, it has to be in pieces small enough, like aquarium gravel.

AS for a solution. I rinse the coins in tap water. Then I use water with a few drops of dish soap in the tumble for 30 minutes. Then I rinse in a strainer, the hand held small mesh wire kind. Replace them with more water, soap, and to speed up cleaning, a little white vinegar. Don't clean zinc pennies with vinegar, it eats them up and will turn the other coins pink.

I use glass shards, water and cascade, works great.. While I'm hunting, I keep all the cool colored pieces of glass I come across.. After using it to clean your coins, it looks just like beach glass too!!

IMG_5013_zpsda31e442.jpg

IMG_4997_zpsadf3db74.jpg

I use the dual drum HF, tumble them overnight, seems to work awesome!!

<*)))>{

For my 1000th post i say dont get a tumbler... just hand roll the darn things if they are still good.

Congrats on the 1000!!!

You only say that because your tumbler is busy with all the rocks/minerals your polishing!!

<*)))>{

Good sale price. You can stack a coupon code on that and save an additional $9.00

April code is 11156660

Congrats on the 1000!!!

You only say that because your tumbler is busy with all the rocks/minerals your polishing!!

<*)))>{

Actually before i had a tumbler i still hand wrapped them in... i also found rolls from other detectors that did the same... Then again if you are using coin sorters then yes it would be easier to tumble them... for i have always hand wrapped stuff and have actually got fast at it.

I use glass shards, water and cascade, works great.. While I'm hunting, I keep all the cool colored pieces of glass I come across.. After using it to clean your coins, it looks just like beach glass too!!

IMG_5013_zpsda31e442.jpg

IMG_4997_zpsadf3db74.jpg

I use the dual drum HF, tumble them overnight, seems to work awesome!!

<*)))>{

oh my god that's awesome, I'm so stealing the colored glass idea! I'm gonna keep all that I find from now on :)

oh my god that's awesome, I'm so stealing the colored glass idea! I'm gonna keep all that I find from now on :)

Cool!! They end up looking like colorful pieces of rock candy!!

Also, they are dull and harmless, no different then old beach glass..

There are not too many rocks that are harder than glass, let alone metals...

Even when the shards are dull, they still clean metal coins just fine!

I am not even going to separate the pennies from the clad, I already tested it, with cascade and water, it doesn't matter at all!!

<*)))>{

Back
Top Bottom