Coyotes in my yard at night ? EDIT TO ADD: first photos likely a fox, latest photo (added 7-21) MIGHT be a coyote

GKL

Forum Supporter
I recently heard what I thought was a coyote howl at night and checked my (cheap but works good) Walmart trail camera and found night time video of coyotes in my yard date stamped May 12th, at about 2AM, will check the trail camera again within a few days to see if it caught any recent footage.

I have heard them in the past but this is the first footage I caught of them on camera.

Here is a couple still frames I copied from off the video footage, it is at night so the camera captures the video in black and white from using the IR night vision instead of color like it would in the daytime.

05_12_2018_200AM.jpg 05_12_2018_201AM.jpg

Last edited:
KA- BOOM solves that problem. I had some here once and I eliminated them promptly. One had mange pretty bad. Hunted most of my life and know very well how to shoot. Have a good German 22 cal. pellet gun with a night vision scope. I also have lots of outdoor lighting. Works well too.
Bubbaron

KA- BOOM solves that problem. I had some here once and I eliminated them promptly. One had mange pretty bad. Hunted most of my life and know very well how to shoot. Have a good German 22 cal. pellet gun with a night vision scope. I also have lots of outdoor lighting. Works well too.
Bubbaron

Thanks for the info !

From what I researched so far I read coyotes rarely will go into a cage trap, and the South Carolina DNR welcomes hunters to try to keep coyotes in check.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/coyote/

I saw a news article where coyotes were even spotted in a park just blocks away from downtown Columbia, a fairly large city !

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article193132459.html

Last edited:
Added caution !

I need to mention that if coyotes are in your area do NOT let your pet roam free unattended at night outside even to go potty, I take our dog out on a harness/leash when she needs to go potty at night (so she don't chase anything she might spot), then she comes back in the house as she is an indoor dog.

I have read that coyotes will not only go after pets but even small children too, so I'd be careful having them outside as it starts getting into the evening.

I have read that coyotes will not only go after pets but even small children too, so I'd be careful having them outside as it starts getting into the evening.

As a rule, no....domestic dogs attack humans much more than Coyote.

These were mine from a months worth of trapping several years ago, and averaged $25-30/each :cool:

sale-yotes.jpg

Same principal, just use a bigger basket

iu

,...lololol that's awesome.

These were mine from a months worth of trapping several years ago, and averaged $25-30/each :cool:

sale-yotes.jpg

Nice haul.

To the OP,....Not doubting at all that you have some yotes around..but I'm 50/50 on your 2 pics. The rear end,..overall shape and size,..and especially tail proportion is saying red fox to me. But summer coat makes it even harder to tell.
They may snatch an occasional cat or small dog but attacks on humans would be the exception to say the least. As far as getting rid of them,..you wont. but that doesn't mean it's not fun to try. Good luck. -Aaron

Wow, they pay that much per coyote ? Do they make coyote coats ?

……..I've heard of mink stoles, but not coyote stoles :lol:

,...lololol that's awesome.

Nice haul.

To the OP,....Not doubting at all that you have some yotes around..but I'm 50/50 on your 2 pics. The rear end,..overall shape and size,..and especially tail proportion is saying red fox to me. But summer coat makes it even harder to tell.
They may snatch an occasional cat or small dog but attacks on humans would be the exception to say the least. As far as getting rid of them,..you wont. but that doesn't mean it's not fun to try. Good luck. -Aaron

Okay, I thought they might be on the smaller side to be coyotes, unless they are young coyotes, the other clue that had me thinking coyotes is the "yipping" type of sound they make, I'm not sure if a fox normally makes such sounds. I've had times when it sounded like a whole bunch of them were making "yipping" sounds at the same time, it sounded weird :shock:

,To the OP,....Not doubting at all that you have some yotes around..but I'm 50/50 on your 2 pics. The rear end,..overall shape and size,..and especially tail proportion is saying red fox to me. But summer coat makes it even harder to tell.

Just found this web site, seems that it is easy to confuse foxes and coyotes, I'll have to keep figuring if they are coyotes or foxes, it would help if they would walk in front of my trail camera after it got daylight enough to see a pic in color :lol:

https://emammal.si.edu/north-carolinas-candid-critters/blog/confusing-canids-differentiating-red-foxes-grey-foxes-and

(the above web site shows pics of both)

Okay, I thought they might be on the smaller side to be coyotes, unless they are young coyotes, the other clue that had me thinking coyotes is the "yipping" type of sound they make, I'm not sure if a fox normally makes such sounds. I've had times when it sounded like a whole bunch of them were making "yipping" sounds at the same time, it sounded weird :shock:

I may be wrong but I don't think fox run in packs. I know coyote do and I've heard that yipping from them a lot.

The thin face in the pic does look like a fox though. Maybe you have both?

I may be wrong but I don't think fox run in packs. I know coyote do and I've heard that yipping from them a lot.

You make a really good point, I very well could have both !

The photo could show a fox, but the "yipping" indicates coyotes could be back in the woods and simply haven't come close enough yet for my trail camera to catch them.

,....not saying you aren't hearing or don't have yotes around. I suspect that is what you are hearing. But the pic just happened to be possibly a red fox. Theres lots of critters out there,...trail cams don't discriminate.

,....not saying you aren't hearing or don't have yotes around. I suspect that is what you are hearing. But the pic just happened to be possibly a red fox. Theres lots of critters out there,...trail cams don't discriminate.

I likely made the mistake of automatically assuming the pic was a coyote simply because of the yipping I heard, even though the critter did look a little on the small side to be a coyote.

I need a trail cam with critter face recognition :lol:

Fox don’t run in packs. I’ve heard that ‘yotes do, but have never seen more than one at a time.

Back
Top Bottom