Priority Mail strikes again!

achaios

Forum Supporter
I have a package coming from an auctioneer in California that was sent USPS Priority Mail on 11/26. I keep getting occasional updates, always at 12:00AM, that say that it's "In Transit to Next Facility", but no details (from which facility? to which facility? is it on a truck?). The only thing I can guess at this point is that someone put 2-day Priority Mail on a truck that has multiple stops from California to Virginia.

The first lot I got from this auctioneer came via UPS, and while it took a while, it was tracked well all of the way. I have asked them to use UPS if possible in the future. I am well aware that Priority Mail is not guaranteed, but I wish the USPS would be more truthful and call it "Priority Mail 2-Day Delivery (Maybe, if you're lucky)".

I know that there's one FDMF member who gets offended when I grouse about the problems I have with USPS, but this is a valuable package with signature confirmation required, and the items are not replaceable. Sometimes, the USPS employees can get more detailed tracking information than customers, but I can only go by what I see.

YMMV, but UPS is always the most reliable option I have in my experience. FedEx always leaves boxes on the top of the stairs (can't walk up three whole stairs, or slide the box towards the door) except the one case where they got tired and left it in the rain in the yard next to the driveway.

BTW, one package this company sent on the same or the next day the same way arrived and was left on the porch because the carrier signed it himself rather that have to knock and wait for me to answer the door. I think he knew that I was home, and wanted to save himself some time.

-- Tom

Last edited:
I contacted the auctioneer, and I don't know if their contact with USPS did it or not, but I finally got an update that it arrived at and was leaving the Dulles (VA) Regional Distribution Center. Since this is Sunday, I at least have hopes of it arriving Monday or Tuesday, still far later than the 2 days Priority Mail is *supposed* to take.

I'll breathe easier when it arrives. I work from home now, so if I need to sign for it, as long as the carrier knocks, there won't be a problem.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

-- Tom

Feel your pain.......I know I've had the tracking nonsense on packages before.......Had my neighbors packages thrown on my porch , guess reading is not a hirng requirement...all of us had something happen before....crazy

Feel your pain.......I know I've had the tracking nonsense on packages before.......Had my neighbors packages thrown on my porch , guess reading is not a hirng requirement...all of us had something happen before....crazy

Actually, just this weekend, I had a FedEx driver deliver a package to me, luckily while I was there and could see him in person. It belonged to 2621, not 2631. I don't know that it was valuable, it looked like a small table of some sort, but it was still the wrong house.

I know that delivery services vary by region, and while the best in my area is UPS, someone as created a "United Package Smashers" site because of the issues with UPS in their area.

I think actually, in a package-to-incident ratio, the worst in my area is an outfit called LaserShip.

-- Tom

Priority mail has been really slooooooow as of late. I know this is a busy time of year but come on.

I have zero problems with Priority Mail from the USPS.. in fact they delivered a package a day early on my last one...

We've had great service with Amazon Prime free 2 day delivery, they even had a recent order they originally had scheduled for delivery on Sunday but managed to get it here sooner on Saturday ! The USPS usually delivers our Amazon Prime orders.

I have always been a supporter of USPS. Lately though, here locally, we have been having a heck of a time even getting junk mail delivered!

Seems our local PO is extremely understaffed and they can't seem to hire new people.

I remember a time when a snagging a job with the USPS a plum deal! Good benefits, pay and pension. I know of several friends my age who raised a family as a postal worker.

I am hearing they have cut starting wages and the cost of living is so high here that nobody is applying for these jobs.

The postal tracking told me that it would be delivered tomorrow. I get home from church today and found that they tried to deliver it TODAY! I could have been here if they had said up front that they would be coming today. SeabeeRon, I wouldn't have minded a day early except that it requires a signature, so I had to go online and tell them to deliver when they said they would in the first place, and apparently, since I used "!" characters (but no cursing) in the special instructions field, they figured out that I wasn't happy, and that field failed the edits until I blanked it out.

Sorry, USPS in my experience is a failure at customer service.

-- Tom

Last edited:
Lately the post office tracking doesn't seem to amount to much. I had a package mailed from Garrett. The tracking took four days to leave Texas and then I never got any more updates until it arrived in Kansas. It took two weeks for the package to go three states regular mail with the package the size of an envelope. The tracking in Kansas and Texas seems to be good but I don't know where it was in between.

We kinda sorta have issues with FedEx. Our next door neighbor has four dogs and buys her pet food on line and it almost always gets delivered to our house. My wife shops Amazon and when it comes via FedEx it gets delivered to our neighbors house. From now on our neighbor will have us order her dog food, and she will order the things my wife wants, that way they will be delivered to the right house.:p;)

We kinda sorta have issues with FedEx. Our next door neighbor has four dogs and buys her pet food on line and it almost always gets delivered to our house. My wife shops Amazon and when it comes via FedEx it gets delivered to our neighbors house. From now on our neighbor will have us order her dog food, and she will order the things my wife wants, that way they will be delivered to the right house.:p;)

:laughing::laughing: Now, that is the way a former Seabee thinks!! :laughing::laughing:

Merry Christmas Brother Bee! :santa::xmas:

My experience is. When you send priority mail, if they say package will arrive on Thursday, good chance it will come Wednesday’s. So a day earlier than they forecast. I think they intentionally build a fudge factor, this way they can say package arrived - not late.
My experiences so far very good using usps. Knock on word.

Back
Top Bottom