Help identify flat cuff button

Fooleeze

I pulled this little cuff button this weekend. It's a small one, maybe a half inch in diameter. For the life of me I cannot make out the writing on the back. The front shows a star of david in the middle, with a dot in the center, and some other objects around the edge. I was hoping someone had seen something similar and could possibly help me figure out what the back says. I'm hoping to identify an approximate date on this.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_8618_cropped.jpg
    IMG_8618_cropped.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_8616_cropped.jpg
    IMG_8616_cropped.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 249
I tried "googling" that button and found examples that showed the Star of David with 4-leaf clovers(?) in the design but no exact matches. Judging by the patina on your button there is no doubt it has some age.

I think (but could be wrong) that it’s a waistcoat/vest button from the 1830’s-40’s, which was the “golden age” of Gilt buttons. Geometric designs were very popular in this period. Here are a few from that era, of the same size:

Attachments

• 7FF6519E-BF7B-479A-B2A0-93247A6B77E7.jpeg
    7FF6519E-BF7B-479A-B2A0-93247A6B77E7.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Ooh, are those yours, or did you find the pic online? I want to see a pic of the backs of those.

I think (but could be wrong) that it’s a waistcoat/vest button from the 1830’s-40’s, which was the “golden age” of Gilt buttons. Geometric designs were very popular in this period. Here are a few from that era, of the same size:

Back
Top Bottom