Anybody ever take someone hunting, only to have them go back without you?

minereader

Have you ever found a good place to detect, and had a friend go back without you to hunt? I have gotten "friend shy" over this issue in the past. I have several friends who detect, and have learned, on more than one occaision, that it is best to keep your mouth shut around certain people. Many of these folks want you to take them to your good spots, but they will NEVER take you to their's. It is fun to hunt with someone else, but I only have ONE friend that I can trust, so I usually dig alone(if that person can't go).

People are like that over all kinds of things - not just metal detecting. Because of that, very few of the people I know really know much about me - including where I actually live. (That might be because most of the people I've been hanging-out with the last 15 years are hustlers.)

Sorry your friends disappointed you. On the other hand, maybe they'll dig-up all the pull-tabs and can-slaw for you and miss most of the deep good stuff.

HH

Rich :D

Honestly this is why I am shallow with my answers where I hunt...I have found some nice spots and a lot of people read these forums that just lurk and do not post....

I just want to hunt on my own and have read to many stories of someone mentioning a spot or telling someone else and then it is not worth going to. I would rather be the one that makes it not worth going to! :)

After 30 years of detecting I have a different perspective I guess. I can understand wanting to protect your hot spots. Especially if you've done all the work to find the place and a friend jumps on it while you're not there.

Myself, I enjoy others finding the good stuff as good, if not more, than myself. I do have a few items on my wish list but I've pretty much found a bit of every thing. Now what I enjoy is when others get their first good finds or hit that hot spot.

Awhile back I found the location of a silver ring cache. The loot from a 1960's burglary. I could have kept it to myself and found them all but I took two friends and had a blast watching their excitement as they dug up the booty. Far more excitement than if I had dug them myself.

They asked if they could return without me and I said sure. But at least they asked.

Gosh, You're alot more generous and trusting than most of the folks I know! I'm sure you'll be rewarded.

I kind of agree with Detector. In my mind, there enough goodies for everyone to find. If I don't won the land, than it's up for grabs. Besides, when I'm not hitting schoolyards, ballfields and beaches, the kind of wooded areas I hunt are so large, one person could never pass a coil over all of it in a lifetime. There's always unhunted ground to cover in the woods! I just consider metal detecting a hobby, and since I do it for fun and not for a living, the more, the merrier!

That's mighty nice of you folks. I have personally had a few bad experiences with obtaining permission to hunt private land, take someone, and next thing you know they are going back with their friends, and it created problems with the landowner. I KNOW pretty much who I can trust. But I'm not going to sharpen the knife, and give it to someone only to have them stick it in my back.

My brother goes by himself a lot. the bad thing about that is one day some kids came up to him and asked how he was doing. after they left and he was done detecting and got back to his van they had written some nasty language on his van.

Sorry to hear your buddies are going back to your sites and hunting them. They must be on public property. I don't worry about people hunting my sites without me because all of them are on private property. If you are seen on my sites someone will be stopping and asking you what your business is there. I live in a rural area and people are wary of strangers. My buddy Bill had a guy return to a church site that Bill had taken him to. The guy was hunting there and the sheriff showed up and arrested him for trespassing because he couldn't come up with the name of the person who gave him permission to hunt the church yard.LOL He actually had the nerve to call Bill and try to get the name of the person who gave him permission. Bill laughed at him and said he didn't remember. I always wondered if the guy ever claim-jumped someone's site again.:lol:

When I was heavily into cars, in my youth, one thing I learned was that friendships and alliances often meant nothing when it came to things people really want badly....... So, If for instance, I found an old AC / Shelby Cobra in a barn for $500, I'd tell none of my "gearhead" buddies until after I had bought it. After one or two lost deals,:mad: I figured it was best to keep it quiet. However, there were one or two close freinds who were trustworthy enough to not just tell, but who would actually help me haul, trailer, retrieve, whatever. Those few individuals are still my friends decades later. The others? long gone, :lol: Let's just say I discriminated out the foil and pulltabs, in a sense.

I'd think it'd be best to be upfront about the "hunting later" thing in the beginning, some sort of courtesy agreement? Not everyone would have the same unspoken rules in mind.

If someone offered to take to their "secret spot" but only requested I not return without them along, I would think it was a great offer, and would not be offended at all. I have narrowed my friends down to a handfull of really great people over the years, and I wouldn't trade their friendship for all the coins, relics, and jewelry in the world, even though I covet treasure as much as anyone.

And no, I never did find a cobra in a barn, but if anyone ever finds one, lemme know.:lol::lol::lol::lol: I'll be glad to appraise it for ya............:lol:

Back
Top Bottom