My first old coin

lcoble61

And I can’t ID it. After rubbing it for a while with steel wool I can see what I think is a bust with the word liberty above it. No date. Any suggestions? IMG_1853.jpgIMG_1854.jpgIMG_1857.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try taking some pics while holding a flashlight from a couple of different angles. Sometimes you can see some detail if it's in water. Dusting with baby powder can occasionally help.

Try taking some pics while holding a flashlight from a couple of different angles. Sometimes you can see some detail if it's in water. Dusting with baby powder can occasionally help.

Thank you I’ll try that

Be a big help also if you PM me the exact location where you found it. That way I can get you a good ID...:D

I found it in a field on a farm a mile from where I grew up. According to a topo map there was a store at that site in 1868. In the book called The history of Delaware it says it was a store and Drs office in 1888.
That should narrow it down for you :-)

Looks like you used a bench grinder.

Steel wool is definitely not a coin cleaner.

It just wears down the entire surface.

If it says liberty across the top its probably a draped bust large cent.

I hit it lightly with very fine steel wool, I couldn’t see anything before that, but if I were to find another one I would probably try something different.

Most likely a LC, you just caused it to discolor with the steel wool (turning it gray-ish). Try soaking it in some hot peroxide.

Back
Top Bottom