DF Coil Crack Advice

Scubacat

Elite Member
My DF is getting really old and the plastic on the coil starts to give up. There appeared a tiny crack and something must be done about it before it gets too big for the water to get in. What are the recommendations? I can only think about Epoxy at the moment, but I am sure the community can suggest more elegant options. Thanks beforehand.

Attachments

• 1606801233349.jpg
    1606801233349.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 265
I haven't tried it myself but I've seen several guys using bed liner products to protect their coils instead of coil protectors. I don't see why that wouldn't work and it comes in colors too.

Cliff

If water gets in you are finished... use epoxy. I had water intrusion 2 times no fault of mine is was a bad batch of their epoxy..

Mine isn't cracked but I spray it with bedliner a few coats. Holds up well , flexible. If you want to get fancy you can buy a plastic welding kit from HF. They work good , $20-80.

I have the tdi beach hunter. I saw this coming down the line the way the halves were bonded so I decided to head it off right away as soon as whites announced their closing. I used two part marine epoxy and filled the voids around the perimeter. A light sanding where it was applied to give the epoxy something to bond to. This easily adds another 1mm of protection over that weak area.

Attachments

• 2D9414AF-3097-4E24-B2AA-CCEB687DFC93.jpg
    2D9414AF-3097-4E24-B2AA-CCEB687DFC93.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 228
"Form follows function" - go with the epoxy. Then you could spray paint it or add bedliner for another level of protection.

I'm with everyone else, 2 part ..slow dry..24 hour epoxy. Two coats, on a scuffed up surface. A good name also, quality is important.

Second opp would be fiberglass resin, with a single overlay of fiberglass cloth, then another coat of resin. It would add weight and I would only recommend doing it if you have some experience in doing this type of work. Gloves and mask are required. I worked in a Corvette shop many years ago, tough stuff.

For small areas UV hardening epoxy might work. I just tried it on parts of my suburban door handle. It can soak in then you shine a UV flashlight on it. Buy the epoxy and flashlight separately.

When you guys say epoxy do you mean something like jb weld, also for you guys that use bedliner do you think it is better than something like rustoleum spray rubber

When you guys say epoxy do you mean something like jb weld, also for you guys that use bedliner do you think it is better than something like rustoleum spray rubber
You want a good Marine grade epoxy with 24 hour dry, 40 minute work time. One is used on surf boards. Used both of these...Each coat must be applied before the one before dries.

Attachments

• GreenlightMarineGradeEpoxySystemSLOWCure-96oz-3quartKit_720x.jpg
    GreenlightMarineGradeEpoxySystemSLOWCure-96oz-3quartKit_720x.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 220
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 174
Epoxy cracks, some not UV resistant will break down. Some too brittle or become to flexible when used in hot weather. Some don't adhere well to search coils for very long.

Many use Silicone sealer for aquariums to seal coils.

Something different you may want to look at is found at marine stores.
An actual Polyurethane sealer. 3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...ive-Sealant-5200/?N=5002385+3293241623&rt=rud

https://www.marinetalk.com/best-marine-sealants/

I have not expected such response. It was overwhelming! Thanks to all of you, guys.
It looks like that my original idea about epoxy was not such a bad idea after all. I have never heard about MARINE epoxy though. That is a new piece of info. And yes, they sell that stuff in Lowe's Canada. Thanks for that, Surf Master. I guess, a bed liner would be an overkill at this stage.
Also, Polyurethane sealer. 3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 idea by Sven, sounds neat. I wonder if anybody from this forum used it and have to say something about it.
Thank you, everybody!

I've used 5200 before on my boat and boots...does not like to be scrubbed. I have it on my boots around the base..bottom wore off just like that...peeled. Now along the edge where there is no contact it is fine. If you get it make sure to get the 24 hour dry...I got the 7 day dry..set me back a week for them to dry but sealed the leak.

Attachments

• 129016892_3688678407842405_6935351650591782397_n.jpg
    129016892_3688678407842405_6935351650591782397_n.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 167
  • 129204937_179525350478080_3611778207633813674_n.jpg
    129204937_179525350478080_3611778207633813674_n.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 168
I've used 5200 before on my boat and boots...does not like to be scrubbed. I have it on my boots around the base..bottom wore off just like that...peeled. Now along the edge where there is no contact it is fine. If you get it make sure to get the 24 hour dry...I got the 7 day dry..set me back a week for them to dry but sealed the leak.
Thanks, OBN. The worst thing it will peel off after some time if I go that route. I am leaning the epoxy route at this stage since that is what the majority recommends.

I have not expected such response. It was overwhelming! Thanks to all of you, guys.

It looks like that my original idea about epoxy was not such a bad idea after all. I have never heard about MARINE epoxy though. That is a new piece of info. And yes, they sell that stuff in Lowe's Canada. Thanks for that, Surf Master. I guess, a bed liner would be an overkill at this stage.

Also, Polyurethane sealer. 3M[emoji769] Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 idea by Sven, sounds neat. I wonder if anybody from this forum used it and have to say something about it.

Thank you, everybody!
I've used the 5200 sealant for many years in the boat business. We used it to seal any below waterline fittings such as through hull drains. Once it dries it is hard to peel off. If you try it, don't try to get it to thin. Leave it a bit thick and make sure the surface is clean.

Cliff

Remember , If you use bed liner spray, make sure you get the none metalic one. When They started using it years ago, people that used the spray with metalic stuff it ruined there coils. But it will work fine with the right spray.

Depends on the application. Marine Tex gets hard and is great on rigid surfaces but if it flexes it tends to crack off.

Cliff

Ok, but from what I saw its for a crack in the coil and the coil isn't going to bend unless he does a Dewcon :D

Back
Top Bottom