Looking for BIG Iron

choppadude

Forum Supporter
Some of you guys that have been here for awhile may have noticed that my attendance on the forum has been a bit spotty in the last few months. This is not due to my lack of enthusiasm for the hobby as that has been there from day one almost 40 years ago. What it is due to is my training for an upcoming event. You see I have been a runner for almost 10 years now and have completed many 26.2 mile marathons as well as tons of half marathons, 10Ks and 5Ks. But just as I am in my detecting, I am always looking for the next challenge so what better way to test yourself than to compete in one of the toughest physical challenges out there and that is the IRONMAN!
I have completed several triathlons this year with the last being this past Sundays Ironman 70.3. The race starts with a open water 1.2 mile swim followed by a 56 mile challenging bike course (can you say hills!) and ending with a 13.1 mile run. I was able to complete the race with just a little time to spare. The 93 degree heat just zapped all energy out of you and I saw multiple entrants collapse and carted off by ambulance.
BUT this was just a primer for the BIG one, the 140.6 mile IRONMAN which will be held in Lake Placid next month. This is a 2.4 mile open water swim followed by 112 miles on the bike through the Adirondack mountains and then a 26.2 mile marathon run through those same mountains. Competitors have 17 hours to compete the course. If you take 17 hrs and 1 minute, you go home empty handed!
So I have over a year training for this race and have logged in more miles on my feet that I have my car so far this summer LOL! But this is a challenge and there is nothing I enjoy more than a tough challenge!
Always look forward to hearing from any members that are runners or Triathletes.
Todays plan, swimming a couple miles up at the lake and then a good afternoon of detecting finally!

Last weeks Syracuse 70.3 finish time 8 hrs and 15 minutes

Wow, sounds like a real challenge !

.....I would have a medical check-up beforehand and get an okay from your doctor, and make sure to stay hydrated !!!!

Wow.... Not that is something I'd love to watch from the comfort of my home while drinking a beer. I'd probably drop dead after the first mile. Wishing you the best of luck, I'm pulling for you.

Man, good luck and much cred....

I'm happy to be able to do a lil bit of all that lol..

<°)))>{

Way to go Choppa!

My wife's done tris, sprint, Olympic and 1 half.

Me, I can't (and don't want to) run for my life, don't enjoy swimming as exercise but can swim. I like to cycle, it's forgiving for one of my "build" :lol: save for the climbs but I still climb because I like the challenge. Longest rides I've done were 74, 94, and 101 miles. Don't really enjoy the centuries any longer, just a long time in the saddle.

Best of luck on your full iron man!

Man that is awesome. I was a Triathalete one time, which means I Tryed to be an Athlete . :laughing: my body gives me a hard time walking out to the truck to get to work now days. Best of luck to ya, and will be listening out for the update on your top 10 finish. :D

Good Luck, Choppa! I'll be rootin for ya! Let us know how you do -- if you can lift your hands to type on your computer after all that, lol

140 miles on a motorcycle wears me out. I can't imagine trying to run/bike/swim that far. Good luck and God speed.

Back
Top Bottom