Rudy

Admin
ARLINGTON CEMETERY

Jeopardy Question:

On "Jeopardy" the other night, the final question was
"How many steps does the guard take during his
walk across the tomb of the Unknowns?"

All three contestants missed it!

It's a shame as is really an awesome sight to watch if you ever go to Arlington.

Q. How many steps does the guard take during his walk across
the tomb of the Unknowns and why?

A. 21 steps.
It symbolizes the twenty-one gun salute which is the
highest honor given any military or foreign dignitary.

Here are other fascinating facts.

Q. How long does the guard hesitate after his turn to begin his return walk and why?

A. 21 seconds for the same reason as the previous answer.

Q. Why are the guard's gloves wet?

A. His gloves are moistened to prevent his losing his grip on the rifle.

Q. Does he carry his rifle on the same shoulder all the time
and, if not, why not?

A. He carries the rifle on the shoulder away from the tomb.
After his march across the path, he executes an about face and moves
the rifle to the outside shoulder.

Q. How often are the guards changed?

A. Guards are changed every thirty minutes, twenty-four hours
a day, 365 days a year.

Q. What are the physical traits of the guard limited to?

A. To apply for guard duty at the tomb, the soldier must be
between 5' 10' and 6' 2' tall and his waist size cannot exceed 30.

Q. How long do they serve?

A. Typically they serve 18 months.

The Tomb Guard Identification Badge, first awarded in 1957, is a honor for which
a guard qualifies by “flawlessly performing his duty for several months” and passing
a test. The 500th Tomb Guard Identification Badge was awarded in early 2002, and the
total number of recipients is now about 525. The award is, as its name states, a badge
worn on the pocket of a uniform jacket

The shoes are standard issue military dress shoes. They are built up so the sole and heel
are equal in height. This allows the Sentinel to stand so that his back is straight and
perpendicular to the ground. A side effect of this is that the Sentinel can “roll” on the
outside of the build up as he walks down the mat. This allows him to move in a fluid
fashion. If he does this correctly, his hat and bayonet will appear to not “bob” up and down
with each step. It gives him a more formal and smooth look to his walk, rather than a “marching” appearance.

The soles have a steel tip on the toe and a “horseshoe” steel plate on the heel. This prevents
wear on the sole and allows the Sentinel to move smoothly during his movements when he turns
to face the Tomb and then back down the mat.

There are no wrinkles, folds or lint on the uniform. Guards dress for duty
in front of a full-length mirror.

During the first six months of duty a guard must memorize all the notables
who are buried at Arlingtont and where they are interred. Among the
notables are:

President Taft,
Joe Louis (Best Heavyweight Boxer of all time}
Medal of Honor Recipient Audie L. Murphy, the most decorated soldier of WWII
and of Hollywood fame.

Every guard spends five hours a day getting his uniforms ready for guard duty.

In 2003 as Hurricane Isabelle was approaching Washington,DC, our US
Senate/House took 2 days off in anticipation of the storm. On the ABC
evening news, it was reported that because of the dangers from the
hurricane, the military members assigned the duty of guarding the Tomb of
the Unknown Soldier were given permission to suspend the assignment. They
respectfully declined the offer, "No way, Sir!" Soaked to their skin, marching in the
pelting rain of a tropical storm, they said that guarding the Tomb was not just an
assignment, it was the highest honor that can be afforded to a service person.

The tomb has been patrolled continuously, 24/7, since 1930.

God Bless and keep these men.

Last edited:
As a veteran myself, the Tomb has a special place in my heart. I have had the honor of seeing it a few times and will never forget.

For clarification, the rifle is always on the shoulder furthest from the Tomb since this would be nearest any enemies coming in.

Their commitment is amazing.
I was there once during Memorial Day weekend, they were changing the guard, and a few of the ( disrespectful ) spectators were talking and laughing when suddenly, one of them did an about face and in a Drill Instructors voice , the one only they can do, informed the mouthy ones to shut up and respect the services being conducted.

Great post. I've been there a couple of times. It's amazing to watch those soldiers. What an honor and responsibility.

This IS very interesting information, but its also a bit troubling regarding honoring these 'guards' for their commitment and service?...

I'll just roll here a little, not wanting to be a dik like normal, I'm as patriotic and all for pomp and circumstance and honoring the fallen, but just Who came up with these strange parameters a guy has to wonder? No alcohol for Life or Public swearing? Sure, Living in a bunker beneath a graveyard has some benefits, quiet neighborhood and ample parking.......

Certain physical traits required to even qualify? Dressing in front of a full length mirror? Studying and memorizing? Special shoes? So its like a Girls only kind of thing? Except for the No talking or TV rule? What about Facebook and Texting?:?:

I dont know...I can understand giving props to Audie Murphy, he certainly actually did something..but Taft or Joe Louis?....One was merely a heavy bag blowhard who got hisself shot, and the other a heavy bag puncher who didnt? And some poor non alcoholic bastard has to walk around in a rainstorm guarding them? In steel shoes? I dont get it...I dont see how this is equal or sustainable...

Theres all sorts of unsung and unacknowledged American heroes that did amazing things, lived and died honorably that dont get a diddly damn of this kind of remembrance effort...Like Sonny Bono, Harvey Korman, Rock Hudson...

Hell, my own Father in Law was a waist gunner on a B17 and only one of three living crew members who made it back alive, all shot to hell and frostbitten hands trying to keep those Brownings running....He raised a family and died in obscurity like so many others...Nobody guarding his tomb in the weather....

Damn sorry for this ramble...I just wonder who came up with these parameters for the guards?...Sheesh...I betcha a dollar Robert Baden-Powell was involved....I doubt even Forrest Gump could qualify for this kind of duty! ...He could certainly do it mentally and physically, but he likes to talk you know...

Its good and righteous to remember and honor the ones who served and gave it all...Really did something above and beyond, Nathan Hale for instance, or warriors that lived like Audie Murphy and Alvin York, Al Jacobson, Ethan Allen...

But to honor a guy who has never seen a battlefield, happens to be a sharp dressing teetotaler that lives beneath a graveyard, pulls a 1/2hr shift every so often and can count to 21? Hell, why not throw a Parade for the Macys Doorman? He's gotta dress sharp and stand outside in all sorts of weather too for a lot longer than a 1/2hr shift!...

In the terms of things, its undeniable...An Arlington Guard is about the BEST Military duty a guy could ever get! Nobody shooting at you, no jumping out of airplanes, never getting your @ss kicked in a bar fight, and it comes with a Pension! Talk about a Honorable Discharge!

The Arlington guard would be better comprised of retired veterans on a volunteer basis, short term kind of deal, for the ones who actually served in field....Not clerks and professional doormen...:?:.

Last edited:
This IS very interesting information, but its also a bit troubling regarding honoring these 'guards' for their commitment and service?...

I'll just roll here a little, not wanting to be a dik like normal, I'm as patriotic and all for pomp and circumstance and honoring the fallen, but just Who came up with these strange parameters a guy has to wonder? No alcohol for Life or Public swearing? Sure, Living in a bunker beneath a graveyard has some benefits, quiet neighborhood and ample parking.......

Certain physical traits required to even qualify? Dressing in front of a full length mirror? Studying and memorizing? Special shoes? So its like a Girls only kind of thing? Except for the No talking or TV rule? What about Facebook and Texting?:?:

I dont know...I can understand giving props to Audie Murphy, he certainly actually did something..but Taft or Joe Louis?....One was merely a heavy bag blowhard who got hisself shot, and the other a heavy bag puncher who didnt? And some poor non alcoholic bastard has to walk around in a rainstorm guarding them? In steel shoes? I dont get it...I dont see how this is equal or sustainable...

Theres all sorts of unsung and unacknowledged American heroes that did amazing things, lived and died honorably that dont get a diddly damn of this kind of remembrance effort...Like Sonny Bono, Harvey Korman, Rock Hudson...

Hell, my own Father in Law was a waist gunner on a B17 and only one of three living crew members who made it back alive, all shot to hell and frostbitten hands trying to keep those Brownings running....He raised a family and died in obscurity like so many others...Nobody guarding his tomb in the weather....

Damn sorry for this ramble...I just wonder who came up with these parameters for the guards?...Sheesh...I betcha a dollar Robert Baden-Powell was involved....I doubt even Forrest Gump could qualify for this kind of duty! ...He could certainly do it mentally and physically, but he likes to talk you know...

Its good and righteous to remember and honor the ones who served and gave it all...Really did something above and beyond, Nathan Hale for instance, or warriors that lived like Audie Murphy and Alvin York, Al Jacobson, Ethan Allen...

But to honor a guy who has never seen a battlefield, happens to be a sharp dressing teetotaler that lives beneath a graveyard, pulls a 1/2hr shift every so often and can count to 21? Hell, why not throw a Parade for the Macys Doorman? He's gotta dress sharp and stand outside in all sorts of weather too for a lot longer than a 1/2hr shift!...

In the terms of things, its undeniable...An Arlington Guard is about the BEST Military duty a guy could ever get! Nobody shooting at you, no jumping out of airplanes, never getting your @ss kicked in a bar fight, and it comes with a Pension! Talk about a Honorable Discharge!

The Arlington guard would be better comprised of retired veterans on a volunteer basis, short term kind of deal, for the ones who actually served in field....Not clerks and professional doormen...:?:.

Some of your objections were wrong and I've corrected them in my original post. ;)

As they say for all of us who have been in the military, "All gave some, Some gave All,"

That quote is one of those that means , " If I have to explain, you'll never understand "
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier to me symbolizes not only that tomb, but the remembrance of any tomb , burial site , of any veteran anywhere. Just as there are many battlefields around the world that is an unmarked grave in itself as the blood that was spilled there constitutes a grave in itself , just as some of these sites contain some the men that are MIA from their time served , in my opinion.

Mud, just for the record , you do make some good arguing points .

I haven't been to Arlington, but I have been to the American Cemetery at Normandy. All those graves...it got to me.

cimetiere_americain_3.jpg

I had to phone home from there back to the states to talk to my son who at that time had just graduated from high school. Some of the boys (that is to say, men) buried there in those graves would have been his age at death. At the bottom of the photo, at the end of the two sidewalks are three stone benches--I sat there when I phoned home. I have a lot of respect for those who have died in military service, as well as the wounded and all other veterans and active and reserve.

I've never served in the military, grew up during Vietnam and didn't want that. If you lived during that time, you probably understand. I was named for an uncle that died in Europe when his B-17 was shot down, he was a waist gunner. My father served as part of the occupation force in Germany during the Korean War due to his nearsightedness, and he is buried in a state veteran's cemetery with my mother. We decorated their graves on Memorial Day. Didn't stay for the official ceremony though, been there done that before, many times, so we came and went before it began. I understand the bikers want to honor the veterans, but if they are going to participate, they really should try to dress up just a wee bit.

Crackerjack , there are 10s of thousands of men buried in cemeteries across Europe. I've never been there to experience them, or Pearl Harbor, but I would like to. I'm sure it's a sight to see as well as a very somber place.
Not trying to or meaning to critisize your beliefs ,and I understand and respect your views , and this is just my view. Here's my little story concerning your view of the bikers.
I've am a 35 plus year biker, couldn't tell you how many miles I've ridden. And for 3-4 years straight, all I had for transportation was a bike. Well, back in the late 80s when my Grandfather on my Dads side died, I had to ride my bike to the funeral, about a steady 5 hour ride. The day before the funeral, I left out on the trip. I took off work early that day to make it in time for the wake. It was being held at his home. I arrived a little behind schedule, so there was a pretty good crowd gathered when I pulled up. Most were outside. I won't go into details , but I had or have some pretty uppity or snobbish people in the family. My Granparents were pretty well known in their small town. So some of my cousins were there, suits and ties, and I pull up, about 300 miles of road dirt and sweat, I got quite a few dirty looks, but their judgements of me is not the ones that worry me. Well, my Dad comes up to me, and some distant elderly family member that I don't ever remember meeting. My Dad introduces me as his son, and as he extends his arm to shake my hand, just about the 1st thing this man says, loud enough for a few to hear, was, " It's good to meet a young man that's not afraid to go anywhere and not feel like they've got to put on an act trying to impress somebody ", speaking on the way I was dressed. Now, all that being said, had I gotten there a little earlier, I would have polished myself up a little, but long hair, Harley's, black leather boots, just doesn't spew out a lot of respect right off the bat. Not back then anyway.
Excuse my long winded rant, but I'm basically just reminiscing of times gone by. My Dads gone now, my Mom may as well be, Alzheimer's is a terrible disease. Sometimes there's no one around to talk to but this 'puter screen.

Crackerjack , there are 10s of thousands of men buried in cemeteries across Europe. I've never been there to experience them, or Pearl Harbor, but I would like to. I'm sure it's a sight to see as well as a very somber place.
Not trying to or meaning to critisize your beliefs ,and I understand and respect your views , and this is just my view. Here's my little story concerning your view of the bikers.
I've am a 35 plus year biker, couldn't tell you how many miles I've ridden. And for 3-4 years straight, all I had for transportation was a bike. Well, back in the late 80s when my Grandfather on my Dads side died, I had to ride my bike to the funeral, about a steady 5 hour ride. The day before the funeral, I left out on the trip. I took off work early that day to make it in time for the wake. It was being held at his home. I arrived a little behind schedule, so there was a pretty good crowd gathered when I pulled up. Most were outside. I won't go into details , but I had or have some pretty uppity or snobbish people in the family. My Granparents were pretty well known in their small town. So some of my cousins were there, suits and ties, and I pull up, about 300 miles of road dirt and sweat, I got quite a few dirty looks, but their judgements of me is not the ones that worry me. Well, my Dad comes up to me, and some distant elderly family member that I don't ever remember meeting. My Dad introduces me as his son, and as he extends his arm to shake my hand, just about the 1st thing this man says, loud enough for a few to hear, was, " It's good to meet a young man that's not afraid to go anywhere and not feel like they've got to put on an act trying to impress somebody ", speaking on the way I was dressed. Now, all that being said, had I gotten there a little earlier, I would have polished myself up a little, but long hair, Harley's, black leather boots, just doesn't spew out a lot of respect right off the bat. Not back then anyway.
Excuse my long winded rant, but I'm basically just reminiscing of times gone by. My Dads gone now, my Mom may as well be, Alzheimer's is a terrible disease. Sometimes there's no one around to talk to but this 'puter screen.

I totally understand your situation. What I was talking about was the motorcycle honor guard or what ever they are called that help keep the wackos like Fred Phelps at bay. Just in passing by, I noticed one guy had a hole about an inch in diameter in his blue jeans. It could have happened on the way to the memorial service, I'll never know, but all I can say is I didn't think it was appropriate to the dignity of the service. No offense to bikers intended--I think that what they do to protect the ceremonies is great.

My daughter (14) just got back from a 3 day school trip to Washington. She said that of all the museums and historical sites they visited, she was most impressed with the Arlington Cemetery visit. When she went it was almost 90 degrees that day and although it was hot and they were tired, she said it was a beautiful and yet extremely sad at the same time.

My daughter (14) just got back from a 3 day school trip to Washington. She said that of all the museums and historical sites they visited, she was most impressed with the Arlington Cemetery visit. When she went it was almost 90 degrees that day and although it was hot and they were tired, she said it was a beautiful and yet extremely sad at the same time.

That reminds me of the day that Pres. Ronald Reagan came to the Eisenhower Museum and Presidential Library Center in Abilene, KS. It was as hot as blazes that day, and he had an army honor guard that lined the sidewalk, and those poor soldiers were in their hot dress uniforms standing still for a looong time out in the sun! I had to duck into the air conditioned visitors' center to keep from overheating. I don't know how those soldiers did it, I don't think any of them fell out. I guess if you are fit and conditioned to the heat, with self-discipline it can be done. While I can admire them, I didn't envy their job! However, I'm sure that being on the Presidential honor guard is quite an honor indeed.

Back when our daughter was in middle school we chaperoned on the DC trip. What a an experience! As others have said the Changing of the Guard at Arlington was awesome to witness. For me going to the Viet Nam Memorial Wall was the high point. All the kids couldn't figure out why Sarah's dad was crying!

Last edited:
<SNIP> For me going to the Viet Nam Memorial Wall was the high point. All the kids couldn't figure out why Sarah's dad was crying!

I hear you bro. We are from the same generation.

I've visited a couple of WWII cemeteries in northern France and they also were quite moving.

Back
Top Bottom