Question on settings for Garrett Ace 250

lustforart

I got permission from a friend to m.d. at a site on her property in Wilton, CT, where there had been a very old (mid 1800's) barn. She just had this dismantled and sold the wood to a cabinet maker, so I will be the first person to ever m.d. on this site, which I am very excited about since I just purchased my first md. My question is what settings should I use? I have been experimenting a little but really do not have any idea how to use all the features on my Ace 250 and I don't want to dig up her whole yard. :?:

That depends on what you are looking for. I feel the best all around setting for the ACE 250 is relic mode with sensitivity set as high as you can without falsing. In relic mode, the only thing you are discriminating out is small iron. It still gets the coins and jewelry (and aluminum), but also will get the larger iron relic that you might be looking for. If you want to discriminate out all iron, then jewelry mode will work. If you're only looking for coins, then go to the coin mode, but you will miss jewelry in coin mode. All metal if you want to dig everything. Hope this helps

Thanks for your help. I will give that a try and report back here if anything interesting turns up.

Depending on how much time you have to hunt, you may want to make one pass over the property cherry-picking, then make another pass with less discrimination.

If you decide to do this, a good cherry-picking setting one the Ace 250 that I'd suggest is to go into custom mode and turn on only the nickel notch and the top four notches. Have all other notches eliminated. This setting will pick up nickels, most gold, and all coins above copper pennies, usually eliminating clad pennies.

After you cherry-pick the property with the above setting, drop down to jewelry or relic mode and go over it all again.

BTW, I can't take credit for the cherry-picking setting. I read about it on another forum. I can't remember who to give credit to though, unfortunately.

Good luck!

Thats a cool story....hope you get lucky and find at least something worth posting. :D and welcome to the forums.

Welcome to the forum (family), I would set the discrimination to just knock out nails & dig the rest. I imagine that there will be lots of nails from taking the barn apart and you won't want to dig them. But if you are after the relics (iron) you will have to hunt in all metal. Steve.

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions. They are all very helpful. I am really excited and hopefully will have an interesting story and some pics to report back here soon.

I got permission from a friend to m.d. at a site on her property in Wilton, CT, where there had been a very old (mid 1800's) barn. She just had this dismantled and sold the wood to a cabinet maker, so I will be the first person to ever m.d. on this site, which I am very excited about since I just purchased my first md. My question is what settings should I use? I have been experimenting a little but really do not have any idea how to use all the features on my Ace 250 and I don't want to dig up her whole yard. :?:

Welcome to the board Lust.. Hopefully you are the first but its probably been hit by someone else in the past :D I hunted a 14 acre 1734 farm in Wilton last month and found nothing but modern stuff with my hunting partner and we hit it for a week...

I would use the coin and jewelry program...if you use relic mode you would be digging up a ton of nails and who needs that.... :D

Back
Top Bottom