Ever wonder whether those were really found yesterday, or found at all?

hmm

While i have seen a few posts i thought highly doubtful,id question the OP's comments on newbies and crappy detectors.
Im a newbie myself on this forum , been detecting for well over 20 years and currently own a Pioneer 101.
Ive never had an expensive detector and doubt i ever will through personal choice.Yet i consistently find old silver and the most recent 1877cc a real eye popper.
I dont think it was a charitable thing to say as without doubt there are a lot of us who can only afford a "crappy" machine.Quite what constitutes a crappy machine i presume is at your discretion.

While i have seen a few posts i thought highly doubtful,id question the OP's comments on newbies and crappy detectors.
Im a newbie myself on this forum , been detecting for well over 20 years and currently own a Pioneer 101.
Ive never had an expensive detector and doubt i ever will through personal choice.Yet i consistently find old silver and the most recent 1877cc a real eye popper.
I dont think it was a charitable thing to say as without doubt there are a lot of us who can only afford a "crappy" machine.Quite what constitutes a crappy machine i presume is at your discretion.

My 3 kids use a Pioneer 101 in my yard that I've hunted hard with the XLT & my current Explorer II..They still find stuff I missed..:yes:

I hope im not out of order but i do have a soft spot for people who cant afford the best but work with what they have.
Seeker , before i bought the 101 i read a lot and found that most serious detectorists here started with the 101 and still keep it as a back up..i had a chance to get one for under $30.Its found me a nice coin on every outing which is few admitted but still..

Snow the people who bad mouth the cheaper MD are the ones who think more you spend on a MD the more you will find. Not always the case

Showmethesilver,

The fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter what brand or model you are swinging. What matters is that you are having fun and enjoying the hobby. Spending a ton of money isn't very fun, even though many of us in this hobby do.

Just enjoy yourself and don't worry about what others think of your machine. They all have the same basic function.

Snowy , thats exactly how i figured , i didnt have X amount to play with so cut my cloth accordingly.I could afford the 30 bucks and its got me out there again.A bit sorer in places i havnt been sore in a long time but great days out and a few nice finds.

I agree Booker , sometimes i think when i see posts slagging off cheaper models or older models i wonder if its akin to feeling we have no business finding perhaps better stuff than some with big expensive models.
I dont think there are any set rules to who can find what and with what or where,most of us know that by now id hope.

I dont think there are any set rules to who can find what and with what or where,most of us know that by now id hope.

Exactly... if you get the coil over it, it'll sound off.... if you choose to dig it, you'll get it. It's as simple as that. ;)

HH!

I hunt with a DFX... Just last weekend, a member here and I went to a house that was built in 1820... He uses an Ace 250... both of us didn't come away with anything spectacular... While we were hunting, the neighbor guy comes out and says "I've seen you guys around her last fall and wanted to show you what I found in my yard..." It was a Morgan Dollar! A few minutes later he brought out his detector that he used to find it... It was a $35 detector from Aldi's... Rule is...It has to be under your coil or you'll never find it! He offered us the use of his yard and I found 9 wheaties in his front yard... but a dollar short and a day late as it turns out!

Case in point Beef not so much the machine as the digger and the places you hunt, Congrats on the wheaties!

Come on Bill

Come on Bill, we know you are making it up:lol::lol:. It must be tough for you beach guys. The finds are gold and diamonds. They always look brand new. It comes down to this. Get to know the people on the forums on a personal basis and you can always trust their posts. I find almost everyone has found the items posted. You can tell by their posts who is excited by what they found. Trust everyone until there is reason to doubt. HH everyone.

Does it go on? I am sure human nature being what it is it happens once in a while why ? Not sure not like your some kind of hero or seen as a expert. If your coil passes over it you will find it, you don't need to be some kind of super person to make finds, so about the only one your fooling is yourself.

Cant say I have really thought about it much. Guess it could happen.
Over the years I have made an observation about myself that maybe some can associate with.
When I was new in the hobby and someone showed me a great find they made, I always found myself fighting off a feeling of jelousy. I was careful to never display my feelings but if I am honest it was true I was jelous it was not found by me.
But as the years went by and I had my share of great finds I discovered that was no longer the case. I didnt have any jelous feelings, I actually found myself happy for the friends find.
Now I really and truely enjoy seeing and reading about someones great finds. I get as excited about them as if I made them myself.
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this? TX

Cant say I have really thought about it much. Guess it could happen.
Over the years I have made an observation about myself that maybe some can associate with.
When I was new in the hobby and someone showed me a great find they made, I always found myself fighting off a feeling of jelousy. I was careful to never display my feelings but if I am honest it was true I was jelous it was not found by me.
But as the years went by and I had my share of great finds I discovered that was no longer the case. I didnt have any jelous feelings, I actually found myself happy for the friends find.
Now I really and truely enjoy seeing and reading about someones great finds. I get as excited about them as if I made them myself.
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this? TX

Couldnt have said it better TXcoindigger

This is one of the best threads going lately and I have enjoyed catching up on it the last two nights.
Wouldn't it be interesting to see a contest where folks post the goofest or oddest metal detecting finds that they made, high lighted with well written tales of the hunt?
Imagine combining a trash find with writing to create some laughable reading!

The Garbage Patch Doll​
Here is one of the finds from one my early Montana treasure hunts. An old house was torn down and seeing the fresh dirt I figured there should be some older coins there. I proceeded to cover the area hoping for some positive indications from my metal detector. Demo sites were always productive where I once lived so the method should work here in the West. Getting a nice repeating signal I retrieved the target to discover this lovely gift someone once presented to their little girl.
Or
Found Near Roswell​
Having made friends with a rancher living near Roswell, I gain permission to metal detect on his ranch. I had a strange feeling like I was being watched but did not notice anyone in the area. Being unconforatable I left after digging a few targets. When I got home I cleaned my finds and discovered this odd piece of strange metal that so far has defied all tests I have preformed on it, it is like no metal I've ever seen before.

Attachments

• doll death mask.jpg
    doll death mask.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 310
Coin Nut said somethin that got me ta thinkin.

He said;

You can tell by their posts who is excited by
what they found. Trust everyone until there is
reason to doubt. HH everyone.

He's right about that.

Usually when someone makes a good find, They
are pumped.

I found a 14k bracelet yesterday. Two days
before that, I found a gold ring that looks like
black hills gold.

I didn't have a chance ta get over tha ring
before I found tha bracelet.

Now, I'm still pumped. I been postin all over
tha place because I'm so excited.

Like Coin Nut said, that excitment is a dead
give away for someone who has just scored.

That's one of tha reasons we keep diggin up
trash all over tha place.

It's kind a funny.

Or should I say, I lOOk kind of funny with my
$70 detector and diggin in a tot lot. I know
I lOOk like an idiot, but I just laugh right along
um.

I had a BH QD II. It was a good detector.

They just don't realize.

I'm hOOked!!!

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

Newbie's making great finds is what is so great about this hobby. Just think about it. Someone gets into this hobby and they have a whole new list of never approached contacts. Relatives, friends and neighbors, coworkers, and people they know through church and other organizations. You may know this newbie, but you don't know everybody he knows and he may be granted permission where you would be turned down.

Questioning newer members

Tinky1878

Why would you question newer member's posts?

I am a new member but actually have known Carol for several years, from when she and Vlad lived in Conn. Turns out that one of their friends is one of my two detecting mentors - one of the best detectorists I have ever met.

To see a truly great MD site visit his:
http://metaldetectingworld.com/index.shtml

I hope it is okay to post this here Carol.

There are actually a couple of pictures of this fat guy there too!

Since I started detecting in 2002 I have found some AWESOME 'stuff' with literally many 100's of pre-1900 coins. I only have a few things in my album so far though. Check it out!

yotman1
Tim

What detector

Right on guys. It doesn't matter what machine you use so long as you become and EXPERT with what ever machine you have, period! Learn the machine cold and you will find things - coins relics and so on.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom