Getting people to like you detecting anywhere

GOLDisGOOD

1. Keep your appearance neat: Don't wear clothes that make you look like a bum or hobo. I wear nice jeans and an izod shirt. A pair of cheap knee pads will keep you pants looking good. I always wear a belt because I know no one wants to see that butt crack when I bend over to dig. :lol: I stay clean shaven but if you have a beard or mustache just keep it nicely trimmed. Wear deodorant!

2. When someone comes up to talk to you for whatever reason be super nice: I always stop, smile, take off my head phones so I can hear them. Tell them anything they want to know. Just being polite in itself can get you out of a situation where someone has a problem with you digging.

3. Offer to show how your MD works if someone is curious: Every time I have done this the people who ask me questions walk away thinking "that is so cool!"

4. Always show the dangerous things you pull out of the ground to people: Especially hunting tot lots! If some parents show up with kids... don't wait for them to ask what you have found. Two days ago I was digging the dirt chips and uncovered a pair of pretty sharp scissors. I said "well this needs to be taken care of" loud enough for every one close to hear. I got a couple of "oh my" and "thanks you!"'s from that. In fact, now I always carry those same scissors on any tot lot hunt in case I don't find something hazardous to kids.

5. Cold Knocking: When doing so always offer to let them keep 50% of the finds. Most of the time they will just let you keep all your finds anyway. If they do not like the 50% offer and you just really want to hunt for whatever reason, offer to do it for free. Tell them how much you like the hobby and what it does for you (exercise, getting out, enjoying the day, etc).

6. Advertise: Make some flyers and post them where it is legal. Something like "Lost something? Ever wondered what is in your property?" Tell them how careful you will be and let them know if it looks like a decent property you would consider doing it for free. You'll be surprised how many calls you will get. Create a business card for the curious, it might land you another hunt or make a great story of a reunited object.

7. Kids: If they are curious talk to them. Don't be a hermit and grumble "damn ankle biters!" under your breath. If they ask to dig for you, why not? In woods chips now there is no reason not to. If you are on a lawn tell them "Only if you can dig responsively". Show them how to dig a proper plug first with a ground cloth, if they can... hey, it saves your back and knees!!! :yes: Let them keep all the zincolns and matchbox cars. You keep the GOOD stuff.
What can happen it that the kid goes home with his pennies and tells his parents. They might see you hunting it the next day and come over to thank you at how excited the kid was. This is also awesome because it does two things... 1. You are creating an interest in your hobby. 2. You are establishing a responsible enthusiast. Win Win. ;)

8. Always make attempts to show your cool finds as well: People want to see the good stuff too. If you are concerned that you found something really good like gold nuggets and don't want people coming in and digging the heck out of the place to look for more... that is different.

9. Always fill your holes no matter what: Even in the woods and especially if you are in park woods. I always fill in the beach holes too. Who wants to come to the beach to see pits everywhere? Nuff said!

10. Don't label yourself: I guess i mean by what you wear with quotes or symbols meaning -> Religious, non-religious, sports teams, racial, political, etc... It gives a reason for someone to hate you before they know you when they disagree.

11. Consider charity: I recently hunted a site that had a lot of history and did it for free. Metal detecting should not be a selfish hobby. Consider history! Consider using the proceeds of a great find being used towards a restoration!. You could be a part of that history.

That's it for now!

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

6. Advertise: Make some flyers and post them where it is legal. Something like "Lost something? Ever wondered what is in your property?" Tell them how careful you will be and let them know if it looks like a decent property you would consider doing it for free. You'll be surprised how many calls you will get.

Thank you Very much for what is written here GoldisGood! I do wonder if it be very much worth it to pay for a add in the Classifieds in the Local Newspaper to get more places to search? Your Idea let alone make me think on that one. I plan to soon try and see how it develops.

Except for those Izod shirts.

Hate those things.

They remind me of rich, snobby fraternity boys.

Instead, wear a T-shirt that says something classy, like "Treasure Hunting Fool".

(I hope you know I'm kidding)

Hahahaha

Except for those Izod shirts.

Hate those things.

They remind me of rich, snobby fraternity boys.

Instead, wear a T-shirt that says something classy, like "Treasure Hunting Fool".

(I hope you know I'm kidding)

Of course I know you are kidding.

Well, maybe not the ones with an alligator on the front and with the collar up. :p Maybe I should have not used the term Izod. :roll: Its just that I could not think of a better example by name.

I wore my Philadelphia Flyers jersey on a hunt recently and if you do not know... they are doing really well in the playoffs. Not something I normally do on a hunt. I got a couple of comments like "go home"..."booo" (I don't live near Philly anymore). So I guess anything that makes a statement on a shirt may get you pre-judged. Go figure. It got me thinking, nobody booed my polo shirt. People might associate things they hate with your hobby. Hmmmm :thinking:

You just made me edit my first post! I added a #10

All good points .... and posts like these, from various members, help to keep things in our mind that will enhance our hobby. We are visible ambassadors of metal detecting... what we look like, how we act and what we may say, all become part of the public image we live with. RickO

Great post. I wear vented back long sleeve shirts. Keeps alot of the bugs off and if your sweating they are coller and dry really fast.

With headphones on it is hard to tell when some one walks up around me on the beach. I learned a few days ago to look behind me before I break some major wind. I think that poor lady is still upset with me. Just thought Id share...:shock:

Cool website!

You may add a couple more after you listen to program #002 here:

http://thetreasurecorner.com

which I wrote almost two years ago.

Hey I listened to that and it gave me a few more ideas. Thanks!!!

Great post. I wear vented back long sleeve shirts. Keeps alot of the bugs off and if your sweating they are coller and dry really fast.

I am thinking about hiking pants/shorts for the summer hunts. Light weight and helps keep you cooler.

With headphones on it is hard to tell when some one walks up around me on the beach. I learned a few days ago to look behind me before I break some major wind. I think that poor lady is still upset with me. Just thought Id share...:shock:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That should be number 12!!! Do not drink beer... eat cabbage... and brautwurst before detecting. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom