need advice water hunt

deftone

Hi all, I will be hunting saint Pete beaches for two days and wanted to take my infinium in the water. The beaches slope down into a trough then up a sand bar as I'm sure you understand. My question is, would the trough be the place to hunt? From the middle of the hi-low tide linedown is hard pack shells and then the trough has a good foot of fresh sand on top. Any advice from a water hunter? Back to LA on the 1st.

I'm no expert, but i would try in the trough and see what you get. The ocean does an amazing job of sorting materials for you, find out where the heavier coins are settling and where the aluminum pulltabs wash away to and you'll be able to hone in on an area where the goodies might be...You might find that at the point where the shell layer goes in to the water can hold some nice targets. Also, the sand might not be THAT deep over the shells and your machine should be able to punch through the sand and get the targets supported in the shell layer.
HH!

The trough will many times hold more trash but a good discriminating VLF water machine will work. I have no knowledge of your machine though. I use an Excal in those conditions.

Just curious as to how you know the beach conditions at St. Augustine? I think you are in California now. If you are guessing then I understand. You have really two beaches to hunt. Augustine beach is the most populated. Vilano Beach near by is lesser populated but some people have success there. Vilano is steep sloped, Augustine a little less. Watch for rip tides at Vilano. I understand St. Augustine hunters don't say much. Might be a good sign of a good beach. I am guessing like you. :lol:

thanks for the pdq response ..

Im out in saint Pete now. Checked the beaches for conditions during the negative tides. Found plenty of pull tabs old style and new. Think im in the zone?

Im out in saint Pete now. Checked the beaches for conditions during the negative tides. Found plenty of pull tabs old style and new. Think im in the zone?

I live in the St. Pete area. The beaches are a tough hunt right now, but to answer your question yes the trough is a good place to start. Problem is that our beaches are sanded in and so the trough is out a ways. Only advice I can give you is the same as another forum member (flphil) has to others and that is to hunt behind the large resort hotels as they still have foreign visiters who will go in the water at 68 degrees and a better occupancy load right now. HH.

You have to hunt where the people are if you only have a few days. The stuff thats been in the water awhile are going to be deep and with like weight objects im finding. You get floaters.... pull tabs, can slaw, bottle caps, and pennies. Then seems once you start getting some surface items like coins you are getting close. BUT... resent drops happen all over. dont discount the back side of any drop offs especially if you have a firm bottom. The looser the sand the worse your day is going to be in the water.

Dew

I was at Clearwater today near the pier; was very windy. Found some clad; a couple quarters, three dimes - and a couple fish hooks, rusty nail and screw. A few pull tabs too. Only there for about an hour.

Were you dragging a scoop today? Saw what looked like a "scoop trail" and a couple of recently dug spots under the pier.

Hope to get back soon and try it again -

Cheers,
TB

Back
Top Bottom